Too soon to travel? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Too soon to travel? Too soon to travel?

Unread 04-04-2002, 09:59 PM
Too soon to travel?

My surgery is not scheduled yet. I am having it done in June and I am just waiting until my doctor gets his June schedule and then I'll be one of the first to be scheduled. I'm hoping it will be as soon after June 15th as possible. Just incase you're curious, it's because I am comitted at work until June 15th.

Here's my question...would it be totally insane to plan a trip just 5-6 weeks after the surgery. We would be flying with our 4 kids to visit my FIL. My sister and my SIL might come so we would have help and I suppose if I didn't feel like doing some of the sightseeing, then my sister and SIL would be able to help my hubby with the kids. What do you think? It would be our only chance to go for months. Now this might sound REALLY insane ...what about Disneyland at that time. See, my FIL is just a couple hours away from Disneyland and we have a friend that is somewhat of a bigwig at Disney that has offered to get us in for free. How can we pass that up???? My kids would LOVE it! What should I do This is something we have to plan for, so I can't wait and see how I feel, you know?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 03:34 AM
Too soon to travel?

Hi Pasdechat,

This is just my opinion, but I think, if your doctor agrees, that you probably could take that trip at 5 or 6 weeks after surgery, if you are careful. If it's a long plane ride, be sure that you get up and around the cabin once in awhile.

I went back to work at 5 1/2 weeks and was pretty tired by the end of each day, and I was sitting at my desk most of each day, not walking around, but has wheelchairs, so if you aren't feeling up to all the walking there, you can always rent one.

I agree, it's a great opportunity, and I hope that everything will work out so that you can go, if your doctor agrees.

's

Karen
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:47 AM
Too soon to travel?

Make sure you have your DR's ok, but I had my SIL on a plane and headed for Aruba the day she was 6 weeks post op. It meant I had to take care of all the luggage, but when we landed in Aruba she made the MOST miraculous recovery I have ever seen! She broke her ankle a few days before my hyst and cried because she wouldn't be able to take me away on vacation like I did her!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 04:54 AM
Too soon to travel?

I flew to Texas at 5 weeks post with my dh where he participated in a bass tournament and I volunteered at the tournament. He's in a wheelchair and I got a neighbor to load the luggage into our van, got a skycap to unload it at the airport, and help with it at the airport in Dallas and at our motel. I was on my feet a lot but sat when I needed to, and didn't lift anything heavy. You will probably be able to travel too if you don't have any complications.
My only concern is you need to remember how hot it gets down here at at that time of year and be prepared. I don't know about you but if I'm not feeling well the heat gets to me more than at other times. As long as you are going to have plenty of help with the kids and you can sit things out if you feel like it, and you take good care of yourself after the surgery and before the trip (REST REST REST!) , and you have your doctor's ok, in my opinion you can probably do the trip. It'll give you something to look forward to while you're recovering!
Good luck!
Ann
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:57 AM
Too soon to travel?

Like Karen said, Disney has wheelchairs! Go for it . A friend of mine went to Disney World with a group of friends who had planned the trip before she had som foot surgery. She rented a wheel chair and we pushed her where ever we went. She had a great time (even laughed when we pushed her wheelchair out into the rain from the covered area we were all sitting in. Boy did we get some dirty looks from others!!) Disney is very wheelchiar accessable.

Caren
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:58 AM
great question

I too have a vacation planned after my hysto.....I have scheduled my surgery for 4/23 and my trip is 7/12 so that gives me 11 and 1/2 weeks to get back to semi normal. I am hoping not to cancel as we are so looking forward to it.

Anybody else traveled this close to surgery???

Hubby says to quit worrying about it that I will feel really good by then. Doc too, she even said not to give up the idea of softball in July if I behave myself post op.....yeah right!!! softball I can live without but I really want my trip....

sindee
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:58 AM
Hi ALL

I will be 6 weeks post tomorrow, yeah!
We are all different as everyone has stated. But, I could definitely fly and do Disneyworld or whatever at this point.
Yesterday I got up at 6am, watched kids, then drove about an hour to get my taxes done, then stopped at a wonderful outlet mall and shopped non-stop for 6 hours (gotta spend that refund )then drove home, back at 10 pm. No problem
Just listen to your body, and your doctor, and rest when you need to. Don't forget to keep
Wishing you a fun time.
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Too soon to travel?

I'm planning a trip for some sun and relaxation between 5-6 weeks post op. My feeling is that if I'm not fit to travel I definitely won't be ready for work

My doc said I would be able to swim, my only question is what shape my belly will be in terms of a bathing suit - don't really care what I look like as long as I feel good!

Debbie
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:07 PM
Too soon to travel?

Thanks for your responses

It sounds like I will probably be okay if we decide to go to California. I will take your advice and talk to my doctor though. But I will be looking forward to going. It should be alot of fun, even if I do end up lying around on the beach because I'm not up for doing alot of walking
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:21 PM
vacation 4R&R after surgery

My boyfriend and I decided to rent a house at the shore together for two weeks, during my 4th and 5th weeks after surgery. My home doesn't have central air, and July in Jersey can be pretty rough, so we figured I'd probably get more R&R away from the house. It will be nice to just relax on the beach or deck and read books and go for walks by the water.

Everyone is different, as most of you have said. I had my dd by c-section 21 years ago, and figure this can't be any worse than that was. Am working out at the gym two or three times a week to stay fit and doing extra abs work as well. My only concern with the shore house is that it is a second floor unit, about 12 steps up, but I should be okay by that time... I don't know if I would be up to touring Disney in the summer time after major surgery.

California is a fun place to visit. Go for it! Just make sure you will be able to go back to your hotel or condo and rest/nap if you need to. Sounds like there will be someone to continue on with the kids if you need to do that...

Good luck and gets lots of rest.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register