not sleeping well | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

not sleeping well not sleeping well

Unread 04-05-2002, 03:39 AM
not sleeping well

Dear sisters:
I guess this is inevitable...the growing inability to get a good night's rest as your castle date approaches. I'm starting to have "surgery dreams" now - I dreamed last night I went to the castle, but they changed the op schedule, and I was waiting forever & a strange dr (not mine) was doing the surgery. Then just as they wheeled me in the or, I jumped up & said - I can't do this! I ate something! (yeah, I know, it's almost funny...)

I'm sure many of you are feeling the same kinds of anxieties, sleeplessness, second thoughts...? Any suggestions on what you've found that helps? Is it common to want to back down (especially when I'm NOT having my period & feeling fine & wondering why the heck am I putting myself thru this??)

My surgery is scheduled on 4/23 - I think there are a few ladies who are also going to the castle then...? to all of you! We'll be going hand-in-hand!

love,
Marisa

LSH/BSO on 4/23 for fibroids, heavy bleeding, ovarian cysts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 05:08 AM
marisa

Hi.....I am going the same day as you!!!! And yes I am having the same exact thoughts. In fact I told my hubby last night, I feel so good when I dont have my period maybe I can live with this a few more years and then get it done. He just rolled his eyes at me. I did get permission to take tylenol pm to help me sleep. I am a basket case if I am tired. I am having anxiety issues, and get very stressed out. I am trying very very hard to convince myself that this is the right thing to do. In my heart I know it is, I am just afraid of the post op pain. Also worry that I will wake up to more bad news.....all my tests have been fine and doc said she feels there is no need to worry about anything other than the endo, fibroids, and cysts (like that isnt enough) but in the back of my mind I keep thinking what if its worse, how will I handle it. sigh!!! I am a true nut case!!!

Saw a friend yesterday who had a hysto a few years ago, told her I was going and she said CONGRATS how wonderful for you!!! I told her she was physco...she said it was the best thing she ever did for herself. So I am trying to keep up my spirits....you know I have not talked to one single woman who said they regretted doing it, not ONE!!! Also my dentists asst told me I should be celebrating as she has never felt better. So.....

I guess we need to think positive, and visit here til our castle dates. I know when I had my lap last week I was scared to death and it was so easy, so I am hoping that I am making way more of this than I need to be.

Hugs
sindee
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:10 AM
not sleeping well

I think it is very normal! I have been waiting for a very long time for this surgery and finally found a doctor to LISTEN...I had an appt on 4-2 and surgery is scheduled for 4-16...but on my drive home from the doctor, all those second thoughts ran through my head! I know I will not back down, but I am terrified! I guess in a way I am lucky to have the symptoms I have....cramps and pain all month not just with my period, so everytime I feel that pain...I reassure myself that I am doing this to get my life back....keep thinking of how great you will feel after and keep reading here...it has helped me more than anything!
Best of luck to you....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:17 AM
not sleeping well

I'm sure everyone is different, but I'll bet sleeplessnes is relatively common. I'm 6 months post-op and would do it again in an instant! Do you know that "dread" that would come over you when you're period was coming? For me it was the first twinges of PMS starting in at 2 weeks past my period that would get me. I'd start bracing myself for the inevitable raging PMS, pain and bleeding. I used to hate going on diets because when my period approached, I would have such a difficult time sticking to it and would go off the diet for the two PMS weeks. As a result, over the last couple of years I gained 25 lb.

Well, now I'm the same EVERY DAY. (I opted to take HRT.) I feel great and can hardly remember what the "dread" feels like anymore. I've also had no trouble staying on a diet and exercise program for the last 3 months and have shed 17 of those extra pounds. I sleep great and have a ton of energy now. My quality of life is triple what it was pre-surgery!

Hang in there and before you know it, you'll be home, recoving and within a few short months, you'll be feeling great!
Unread 04-06-2002, 03:51 AM
not sleeping well

Sisters:
Many, many thanks for sharing your thoughts. I guess most of us have experienced a few doubts along the way to a hyst. And Yes, I also know too well that feeling of "dread" as my period approaches - so I try to keep telling myself I really am doing the right thing to take care of this, and that before long, I'll be over on the other side, too.
Good luck to all (Sindee, I'll be thinking of you on 4/23!)
What a great, nurturing site this is for all of us!

love,
Marisa
Unread 04-06-2002, 05:44 AM
Marisa,

Hey you me and Trish are all going on the same day.
I have been keeping you all in my prayers. Hoping God will bless us with a quick two weeks and then a healthy outcome from surgery.

Try to sleep, I slept good last night but this morning I am feeling a bit down....not to awful but mornings are hard I just lie awake and think....what the heck am I doing???

One good pain from the friend and i will remember why

Heres to us....cheers!!

God Bless
Cindy

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register