Do we need help in the hospital??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Do we need help in the hospital??? Do we need help in the hospital???

Unread 04-05-2002, 08:58 AM
Do we need help in the hospital???

Hello everyone, I was just wondering does my DH need to be with me at the hospital? Do you sleep alot the first day. My surgery is on April 23rd at 7:40 am. Just wondering what I should tell my DH as far as coming and going while I am in the hospital?
Thanks for all your help?
~Trish~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 09:03 AM
Mine's Same Day As Yours

Hey Trish,

I will have my dh there with me the first day then working as long as I am still in castle. No point in him being there, unless he REALLY has his mind set on it. I figure the nurses are there ~ they get paid to wait on people, let them do it!

Hope a veteran will come along and throw some suggestions in on this. Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:12 AM

Trish,
My DH was with me the day of surgery although I spent most of the time sleeping he was sitting there every time I opened my eyes. He had the option to stay overnight (I was in a 'recovery hotel') but I sent him home, figured he needed the rest as much as I did and our needed some attention. I must say it was nice to have him around and very reassuring although I received outstanding care from the nursing staff.

All the best with your surgery,
Debbie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 09:12 AM

I had my DH there all of the first day and most of the second day. The first day I really slept most of the time but it was nice to have someone there to feed me ice chips and comfort me during my few waking moments! The second day I did fine by myself with just the nurses.....DH just came in the afternoon to visit.
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:14 AM

Hi, Ladies,

I don't know about you, but when I woke up from my hysterectomy, it really helped me to have my husband there with me. By the time I arrived in my room, I was wide awake, and my back hurt. I needed someone who loves me, to hold my hand, and to provide emotional support.

In my room on the Pediatric unit, the nurse call button and tv control weren't hooked up to my adult-size bed, so I needed my husband there. He helped me get out of bed, pushed my IV pole and carried my catheter bag when I walked, and I don't know what I would have done without him.

If possible, I'd also recommend having someone stay with you, the first night in the hospital. Although not all hospitals will allow this, I think it would be comforting and helpful, because there's a huge nationwide shortage of nurses, which means the nursing staff sometimes gets very busy. Having your own personal patient advocate at your side could be a real plus.

After the first day, having someone with you all the time probably wouldn't be quite as necessary, in my opinion.

When you get home, you'll probably want someone with you, for the first few days, too.

I hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:16 AM
Hi Trish

I slept pretty much all day and night the first day. I too had a 7:30 am surgery.
I had some family and a friend in and out the first day. At one point I had to tell them to be quiet as they were keeping me awake chatting with each other.
It is nice to see someone there at first. Once DH knows you are comfortable and resting well you may not want him to have to sit there all day that first day.
You will probably want him to pop in and out after that. But you will be sleeping alot. It is nice to have someone to help with your walk and stuff but the nurses are there if DH has to work.
Good luck to you.
Unread 04-05-2002, 09:36 AM

My srugery was at 2PM. I remember being in my room around 6, I sent DH home around 7:30, didn't think he (or anyone else) needed to sit there watching me sleep. I also told everyone else to wait til the next afternoon or evening to visit. Like Amy said, they get paid to take care of me, so I let them do it.
Unread 04-05-2002, 10:50 AM
Surgery date, April 23rd

We have the same day, so we are going in together!!! I am very scared also, and have got such a calmness from all of the wonderful women here!!!!! I hope to talk to you after our surgery, we are on our way to freedom from all this pain & bleeding!! Hug to you
Unread 04-05-2002, 10:59 AM

It meant a lot to me to have my DH there right after surgery. He stayed with me all day, left at 10 at night. I was awake most of the time but napped a little. He's a very soothing influence for me. I felt very protected and loved.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-05-2002, 11:34 AM

my surgery was at 9:00 am
my hubby couldn't even take me to the castle cause he had to work
he went home and slept till later that day I wouldn't even have known that anyone was there till the next day cause my s kept coming about every 4 hours to give me something in my IV for pain and boy did it put me out like a
so the next day is when I was up and awake
I really didn't need anyone there but it was nice my hubby stayed with me all day friday till I came home
the nurses really did do a wonderfurl job
Hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register