TVH & Pubo Sling | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

TVH & Pubo Sling TVH & Pubo Sling

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:14 AM
TVH & Pubo Sling

I'm probably a little more concerned with the pubo sling part of the surgery than the hysterectomy. Reading other's experiences has put my mind somewhat to rest on the hysterectomy part. I'm 57 and already on HRT so I hope it will be easy. I'm worried about my bladder not working properly and having to self-catherize myself. It just freaks me out! Is there anyone with any advice to give regarding the pubo sling. My sling will be from a cadaver, so they won't have to do an abdominal incision (hopefully). THANKS!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 03:02 PM
Hi Joyce

I am sorry I do not have any information on this. Hopefully someone will be along to post some information for us.
Has your doctor discussed this procedure fully with you and answered your questions? I would give his office a call and try to get more information from them on what to expect. Did they tell you that you might have to do a "self-catherization"? I haven't heard of that but it doesn't sound to pleasant to me either.
I'm glad you will be able to avoid an abdominal incision anyway (we hope).
Let us know what you find out when you talk to the doctor again. Perhaps we can all learn something.
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:08 PM
Just wondering...

What is a pubo sling? I don't mean to pry or anything, but I like to know as much as I can! I do have my pre-op visits ahead of me, and I'd like to think that I'm being assertive instead of aggressive--you know, in a partnership w/ my Dr. Knowing about the possibilities helps me

Take care, Joyce. I wish you the best!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 06:20 AM
Pubo Vaginal Sling

It doesn't sound like you will need one. I have a cyctourethrocele (fallen bladder and bladder neck) and prolapsed vagina. In a sling procedure, supporting material (in my case, donor fascia) is palced under the bladder neck and urethra so that it site underneath like a hammock. The ends of the sling are then pulled up and secured to either the lower abdominal wall or the public bone to raise the bladder neck and urethra back up to their proper position. I'll have a catheter for a period of several days to a week. I may have to do self-catherization 3-4 times a day if I cannot pee after I get home. I will probably have to come home with a catheter since I will only be in the hospital for 2 days. The urologist does the sling procedure, my gyn the TVH.

Good luck with your pre-op!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register