a very personal question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a very personal question a very personal question

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:11 AM
a very personal question

The day before surgery, do they make you drink that stuff to make sure your colon and everything is cleaned out? You know, the stuff that makes you sick?

My pre-op is only 4 days before surgery, so I don't want to wait to know the answer as this is the only thing that could make me nervous or anxious.

Thanks,
M.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:18 AM
Hi

All of the doctor's are different in terms of what they require, or don't, for bowel prep.
I did have to drink the Go-litely stuff. It does come in flavors. I got the lemon-line, got it nice and cold, and drank it fast. Not the most fun I have ever had, but not too bad.
Call your doctor's office and ask them what their procedure is. Then you won't have to wait and wonder.
Good luck.
Unread 04-05-2002, 11:20 AM
a very personal question

Every DR has his/her own preferences. Some have you do a bowel prep, some don't. Some have you drink the stuff and some have you use an enema. Some have you eat lightly the day before surgery, some don't.

One thing to remember: if your Dr doesn't have bowel prep on your pre op instructions DON'T do it thinking s/he forgot. Follow his/her directions only.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:22 AM
a very personal question

Hi, Melsevene! Some drs don't require any prep, especially if there is not any complication anticipated that might involve the bowel. You should check with the office to make sure. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-05-2002, 11:25 AM
a very personal question

M.

My dr. didn't make me drink the prep (GoLytely or Fleet Phospha) or shave; i believe it depends on the dr -- but I did it (drink Fleet Phospha - YUCK) anyway cuz I didn't want to get boweled up (that happened after my first child was born, and was and is to this date the worst pain ever). I also took peri-colace to make sure my bm's would be soft.

The night before surgery I drank the stuff, and within 1 hour i was connected to the toilet to the point my behind was on fire. I hadn't planned on spending hours on the toilet, which was unavoidable, on my last night home, but I'm glad I did it cuz within 24 hours after surgery, my gas had passed, and so did my first bm (it was still very watery) and it was one less thing to worry about.

I stopped taking the colace after I got out of the hospital, and had another bm about 1 week post, it wasn't hard, but i swore I ripped a stitch (inside) or something. There was a stabbing pain an I felt bruised and nauseaus all night after. So, I'm back on the colace and today, things were "smooth".

Haven't been very hungry anyway, so there isn't much to worry about, but, like I said, I was impacted after the vaginal birth of my 1st daughter, where I ripped two episiotomy stitches and had to be manually cleaned.

Check with your doctor. You'll do just fine!

SueK
Unread 04-05-2002, 12:00 PM
a very personal question

It depends on what they think they might find (on why you are having the surgery in the first place). I had to do the juice, the fleets, and suppositories and liquid diet for 2 days. BUT, it was because she wanted me to be clean as a whistle in case my ovarian mass was cancer and she'd have to cut out more than just my uterus and ovaries. (Sometimes ovarian cancer has spread to the colon and they have to take some of it out also.)

In my case, it was merely precautionary and luckily it was a benign mass. But I did lose 4 pounds that week!
Unread 04-05-2002, 12:14 PM
a very personal question

the day before my surgery I had to start with reg, breakfast
then at 9:00 am I had to take 15 mg Dulcolax(three pills )
it's a laxtive you by over the counter
from 9:00 am till midnite nothing but clear liquids
( broth , jello ,juice )
NO MILK OR ORGANGE JUICE

nothing to drink after midnite
I had to be at the castle at 7:00 am on the 20TH my surgery was at 9 :00am

but like everyone else said check with you doctor cause it depends on what they are doing to what kind of prep they will do
good luck
and hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-05-2002, 12:20 PM
Hi M

My doctor gave me a prescription for a gallon of powder stuff I have to mix with water.I'm suppose to drink the whole thing.If it's like the other bowel preps I've had in the past it's going to taste like salt water.But I only had to drink 8 ounces before.I also have to have clear liquids only 2 days before my surgery:cry: Everyone is right ...it just depends on your doctor!
I wish you the best !
Unread 04-05-2002, 12:30 PM
a very personal question

Hi. I didn't have any prep at all to do except don't drink or eat anything after midnight the night before. I didn't do anything or have a shave. My surgery went fine and I didn't have any problems with having a bowel movement after surgery. I guess my gyn didn't feel I needed it.
Best Wishes to you !!! Terri ( TVH/BSO 3-18)
Unread 04-05-2002, 12:53 PM
bowel prep

Hi,

My surgery is this coming Monday the 8th. I have to drink at 10:a.m. the day before "Magnesium of Citrate", it's a fizzy lemoney drink. I had that once before after one of my c-sections. Then before bedtime I have to do a fleet enema. Nothing to eat or drink after midnight. I have to be at the hospital at 7 and surgery at 9. Oh and I will be shaved when I get there. I always keep my self trimmed there anyway, they won't have much to take off. Hope that helped you some......Paula

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register