a very personal question - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

a very personal question a very personal question

Unread 04-05-2002, 01:08 PM
a very personal question

Some of the ladies here have said it but it bears repeating:

Follow your doctor's orders ONLY!!

Do not do ANYTHING on your own without specific instructions. To do so can jeopardize your surgery AND your health. We have had occasion here where a woman took it upon herself to do a bowel prep, did not inform her doctor, and ended up the ICU in grave danger.

Call your doctor's office and ask them what will be ordered in your specific case, so you don't have to wonder and worry. It's never as bad as you think it will be...try to think of it as the beginning of getting everything over with!

HUGS!!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 04:22 PM
I have to drink stuff day before

hi
I have a couple of prescrips and the day before surgery, after breakfast I start a liquid diet of something I mix up that will clean me out. Other ladies in my pre op class have to do two fleet enamas the day before.
Unread 04-05-2002, 06:03 PM
a very personal question

There's really a big difference in the prep docs prescribe. I could have nothing but clear liquids from 12am the day before surgery. Water, clear broth, plain gelatin dessert (but no red or purple), juices without pulp (no red or purple), any sports drink (same thing), and at 1 pm and 6 pm I was to drink the Fleet phospho soda. I ended up taking the first dose at 4pm and gagged on it. I couldn't bring myself to finish it, and I refused to drink the second one.

Didn't need the 2nd one anyway, the liquids and the first dose cleaned me out, but good. Nothing to drink the day of surgery except the doc said I could take my regular meds with just a sip of water.

Doc said the prep was in case the bowel got nicked that the abdominal cavity would not get contaminated. I had endo on my bowel that she had to work on.

I checked with the nurse that morning about the 2nd dose I didn't take. She said as long as the bowel got cleared it was ok.

Follow your doc's instructions. And don't be afraid to ask about anything you heard. Your doc has reasons to or not to do something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:50 PM
a very personal question

My doc wanted me to do an enema the night before. When I balked, she said I could do the phospho-soda stuff instead if I wanted to. So maybe call your doc's office and ask what their usual pre-surgery routine is for cleaning you out. If you want to do something else instead, ask if that's OK.

But absolutely, follow their instructions. Phospho-soda isn't exactly yummy, but you'll survive. I took it for a colonoscopy last summer. My doc had me mix it with lots and lots of 7-up, which helped.

Good luck!

Melissa

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register