Home from prison | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Home from prison Home from prison

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Home from prison

...ok, ok, home from the castle as of yesterday. Get me outa here, I told my doc and he said, yeah, "I don't know why people want to stay in the hospital..."

It all did not hit me until I was sitting there on the surgery prep table awaiting the anethesiologist's visit...when I thought, what the heck am I doing? My anetheez reminded me of Dr. Hitchcock...but he did a great job and I remember having a conversation with my doc in recovery and riding up to the room at 7:45 p.m. and everything after that.

My nursing care was the worst - too many beds, too many old people near death, and not enuf nurses to really care about an otherwise healthy woman having a hyst. So...word of advice, fight for your liquid lunch and liquid dinner if you are hungry at all. They forgot my lunch...and gave me real food for dinner (day after surgery) and by the time the nurse brought me "leftover" liquids instead, I was tired and ticked off. By the time I would be ready go doze off (after the 15 family members of the patient next door would leave at 11 p.m. at night), the IV would start beeping to be filled up. Then once they removed the catheter and I had to pee every 2 hours, they would not come measure the liquid and I would eventually have to dump it and start over - or remind them, "I left you something in the other room..."

But...my doc is great and I am so glad to be home. Friends called and came by - one brought a fresh bunch of ranunculas (spelling?) in an old mason jar that I still enjoy.

Also - the worst pain was GAS!! And no pain meds really help that. My advice is, get off the morphine or whatever as soon as you can and just grit your teeth through the gas pain while you walk as much as you are able. Because after a day of sheer hell with gas, life becomes wonderful.

I will put up with this swelly belly as long as necessary - I was supposed to have a TAH/BSO but doc had to leave my left ovary, cervix and part of my uterus as they were so adhered to other organs that could have been severely damaged or I could have had bad bleeding. But, he took out a pineapple sized uterus and two fibroids the size of oranges. Even now, I can get into my old stretchy clothes!

My mom-in-law (more of a friend) is here by my side today to fend off my oh-so-needy chocolate labrador and fix egg salad (hubby can come home for lunch). I am up and around and careful and sleeping well and...glad to be home with flowers, friendly phone calls and good food!

My discharge papers said "light" housework was OK as of now. I protested, but what the hey...no one can coordinate a meal or clean the countertops the way the lady of house can.

But for now...time for a nap.

Good luck to everyone - It is worth it!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 11:34 AM
Hi Caroline

Glad you are home and that you feel it was worth it. Most of us do! It is always nice to read from a new
Please have someone get you some Gas-X at the pharmacy. You do not need to suffer with Gas pain. Also, some stool softener is really nice to have on hand. I am still using mine.
And keep ALOT! I know what those release papers say but they should all be post dated for atleast 2 weeks out. It is too easy to over do it.
Thanks for posting and let us know how your recovery progresses when you are able.
Unread 04-05-2002, 01:15 PM
Home from prison

I'm glad you are home and resting well in your own environment. I think your experience with an overly-taxed nursing staff is not the norm...by all means, let the hospital know by writing to the administrator.

I agree...Gas-x can be helpful! Just be sure to check with your doctor before taking any over the counter meds either at the hospital or at home the first few days, just to be on the safe side.

I had a lot of gas, but I can't say it was painful...more like "rolling thunder". I walked and drank alot and it passed pretty fast. This is another one of those experiences where everyone is different, so please, LIWs...don't think you will necessarily be in dire pain from gas. It's not the same for everyone!

Enjoy your downtime, and PLEASE resist the desire to do anything other than flex your remote-control-pushing finger!!!! Your body will thank you for giving it this one chance to heal properly.

HUGS!!!

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register