Scheduled May 23...Anxious | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Scheduled May 23...Anxious Scheduled May 23...Anxious

Unread 04-05-2002, 05:20 PM
Scheduled May 23...Anxious

I am finally scheduled, and now I am all scared. I was so prepared...I researched my problems/surgeries to the point of my MD friend telling me to calm down, that people do their PHD dissertations on less than what I was tackling...
And it doesn't help that I work at the hospital I am having it at, so EVERYONE knows about it and everyone is acting like it is the saddest tragedy of the century since I am 25 and have no kids...(and NEVER wanted any anyway)...so whenever I manage to stop thinking/worrying about it I get reminded by someone else.

GEEZ! I should just be HAPPY, since all of this nightmare is almost over! But I am still a nervous freak.

Sorry to vent, but I know you ladies understand all this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Happy for you

I know what you mean. I'm thrilled that I am finally going to have a resolution to this problem that has haunted me for the past six years, and gotten scarier and scarier by the month.

But . . . on the way home from the consult where the doc confirmed that I needed a TAH, I started crying. My dh asked what was wrong. I told him I was scared. He reminded me that I had been asking for why hysterectomy was not available as 'elective surgery' for years, that I had been praying for this. He thought I would be happy!

I am happy! But I'm also scared. We are allowed to have more than one emotion at a time, right? What a wild mixture of feelings.

P.S. My surgery is the day after yours!
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:48 PM

I was worried too. I wanted a hyst for 10 years because of heavy periods, cramping, and later on, fibroids, endo and the risk of cancer in my family. I had even told the docs doing my C-section 27 years ago they should take everything out because I wasn't going through that again. They laughed and said I'd change my mind. I never did. When I finally got the courage to actually schedule surgery, I was kind of hoping the insurance company would not approve it, I was so nervous.

It ended up being not half as bad as the C-section, and I've bounced back quicker than I did then. Worrying is natural, but you'll both come through fine. I don't think you'll read a post on this board that doesn't say that waiting is the toughest part. Waiting gives you time to think and worry. You'll be fine. In a few weeks this will be behind you and you'll feel much better about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:14 PM

Hey Uterles and Teddy,

I am scheduled for May 20th. I know just how you feel. I had also been telling my old gyn that I thought he should just take everything out as soon as I started having two or three periods a month. Now that he has retired and my new gyn (I really love the new gyn!) has agreed with me (the fact that I bleed 20 - 25 days a month and have ruptured a couple of those ovarian cysts also helped that decision along), I am scared! I actually cancelled the surgery once and called back the next day to rescheduled it. And I have changed my mind a couple of hundred times about whether or not to keep my ovaries.

I know what you mean about the research. I do the same thing. I visited my Dr. with an entire page of quetsions, and I still have more for my pre-op visit. So just keep up that research and who knows, maybe a dissertation on the decisions to be made prior to a hysterectomy may just get you that PHD in the future!

I hope the time passes quickly for us, I just want to get this over with!!

Caren
Unread 04-10-2002, 01:37 PM
Hi

Hi Uterless,

You and I are scheduled for our trips to the castle on the same day. My pre-op history and physical is May 20.

I haven't gotten really scared yet. Just can't stop obsessing about it though. (I'm driving my family, friends, and co-workers nuts!)

I've never had major surgery before. Right now, I'm making up a list of stuff I need to buy ahead of time, and a list of stuff to take to the hospital. Since I was just in the hospital week before last, I have a better idea of what I need and what I won't, so my list won't be as long as others I've seen here.

Don't you think the worst part of this whole thing is the wait? Doesn't May 23 seem like forever? I'll probably be looney-tunes by the time the big day arrives.

Good luck to you!

Lisa

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:58 PM

Dear uterless, I just want to say that you don't listen to all those people telling you how bad they feel for you or how sad it is that you don't have kids. I'm sure they think that by telling you those things that in some off the wall way it will make you feel better. I think that it is wonderful that you don't have children that you really never wanted. How many women out there have kids that really shouldn't. There is nothing wrong with wanting a life without children. I have also heard that women who have hysterectomies chances of getting cancer( in there female organs) is like almost zero. I mean you can't get cancer in an organ that you don't have right? I have had endo. severely for about 10 years and i finally was confirmed with having it with a lap. last week (the 4th) now i am getting in for a full hysterecomy on the 25th of april. I couldn't agree more with the scared but happy part! I will be glad to get it over with to. Good luck on your surgery. feather

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register