Did you have your own room? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you have your own room? Did you have your own room?

Unread 04-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Did you have your own room?

Hi there. I'm scheduled for a TAH on 4/17 and I wonder if I'll have my own room. I sure hope so. Do most hospital's have a special women's section for those of us who are having this type of surgical procedure?

Thanks Ladies!

Tonya
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:03 PM
Private room

Tonya

Hi. When I had my tah/lso I had a private room. Here I think they do it with ladies who may have problems after op. Unfortunately I did fall into that category. I was in hosp 1 day pre op and 5 days post op.

The private room had its own bathroom and was just the best. If you are able to find out and maybe arrange to have your own room, do it.

I am sure lots of ladies will be along shortly to give your more insight on the private rooms.

All the very best for your surgery and a smooth recovery.

Regards

Gail
Unread 04-05-2002, 06:30 PM

Hi, TonyaE,

Although many hospitals place hysterectomy patients on the OB/GYN unit, mine gave me a private room on the Pediatric unit. Having a private room was wonderful, because it was quiet and I could control the number of visitors, when the lights and tv were turned off or on, etc.

Some hospitals will provide a private room, if they have one, for an extra fee (usually around $25/day.) It's usually necessary to arrange this with your hospital, ahead of time. If this is an option for you, you may want to consider giving the hospital a call. It made my hospital stay a little more pleasant.

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:39 PM

Hi Tonya,
I shared a room with another woman who had a hyst. the same day (& Dr.) as me. I thought I would have prefered to be in a private room but found it was nice having another to compare notes with!

Other benefits: Someone to answer the phone when you're in the bathroom, Someone who can call for help on your behalf if you have trouble--like when you drop the call button on the floor!Also you'll have double the visits from nurses--handy in case you need something--or need to remind them they forgot to bring what you asked for the last time!
Unread 04-05-2002, 06:45 PM
I Hope I Get A Private Room

Hospitals vary on policy and availability. Best to check with the particular hospital you will be going to. Here, they have all private rooms on the floors I would be on (post-partum & peds). Even sometimes, you won't know about a private room until the day of surgery, sometimes not till after surgery.

Having a private room has many advantages; you can control when tv and lights go on and off, no loud roommie, no extra visitors, etc. Tho sometimes having a roomie can be a good thing ~ giving you someone to talk to. IMHO it's best to NOT have a roomie after a major surgery, as much rest is needed (ok, as much as you can get with nurses coming in and out all the time to check vitals and pester the patient).

Wanted to also wish you best of luck on your TAH. ers are going out to you.
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:24 PM

i was glad I had my own room I could get up when I wanted to to go to the bathroom and didn't have to call the nurse for help
I could change my niteeies if I wanted too
no extra visters I controled my tv
sorry about the spelling
i getting tiried now so I am going back to bed now
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:24 PM

I had a two bed room but no one was in the second bed. As soon as I was awake and somewhat clearheaded I asked my nurse if I would have a roommate. I told her I was uncomfortable having someone share my room because of the possible side effects of my surg (gas passing etc.) She must have felt some empathy because she put in orders that the extra bed in my room would be the last bed filled. I never did get a roommate and it was great!!!!!
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:36 PM

Hi,
I had a private room on the GYN floor of the hospital. I am VERY glad I had a private room. I had trouble sleeping, and I could stay up as late as I wanted to, watch TV or read as late as I wanted to without disturbing anyone. And conversly, when I wanted to take a nap during the day, I didn't have anyone to bother me. If you can get a private room, I am glad I had mine. Good luck with your surgery.
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:09 PM

You can ask about your hospital's policy at your pre-op. My hospital had mostly private rooms, and they try to make sure the surgical patients get one so they can have family members spend the night if they so desire. The "simple" hysterectomies (my TVH qualified) are in the maternity wing - more complicated cases are on the same floor but a different wing. I thought it was a little odd to be in the maternity area, but the rooms are actually more comfortable since they're set up for families with a daybed for sleepover relatives and a rocking chair.

I was relieved to have a room by myself. I had requested no visitors, and only had family and a close friend at the hospital, so I didn't have to worry about them disturbing someone else, and I didn't have to be disturbed by someone else's visitors. When the nurse came in it was to wake me up and not someone in the other bed. My brother was able to stay in the room with me overnight, since the doctor had requested that I have a family member in the room all the time due to an allergic reaction I had to the anti-nausea medication. It's so hard to get any rest in the hospital, and a private room is the only advantage you'll get in that area.
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:16 PM

I spent 30.00 a night for my private room. I had to ask ahead of time, but it was worth every single penny!

Traci

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register