Did you have your own room? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Did you have your own room? Did you have your own room?

Unread 04-05-2002, 09:57 PM
Did you have your own room?

Hi Tonya. I was in a room with another bed on a mixed surgical floor (one wing was men, and the other, which I was in, was women). The first night I didn't have a roommate. The second night I had a roommate who had just had back surgery. Actually she was very nice and I enjoyed the company by then. Whatever situation you end up in, just think positive and try to figure out how to make it work for you.
s, and good luck,
- Linda
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 04:12 AM

I had a room to myself. They told me they try to do that with all surgical patients, but if they needed the bed they would put someone in with me.
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:29 AM

I had a private room for the 1st time in my life!! It was perfect for me. I could sleep better, contol the room temp to my liking.
The phone only rang for ME!!! And most of the time I told my family that I would call them
I was on a gyn wing, but not near the babies etc. I started walking down the hall a day before discharge.
if I ever have to have a hospital stay again, I want a private room if at all possible.
Sharon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 10:26 AM

I was on a gyno wing but they kept the hyst pts. separate. Had to ask in advance for private and they couldn't guarantee because of patient load, but I was fortunate and was alone for the 4 days I was there. It was an additional $75./night for me. Wow, someone got away w/ $30? Lucky!
Unread 04-06-2002, 12:37 PM
bad 1st roomie

I was at a Naval Hospital, all the rooms are for 2 or more. All I cared about was that I would be placed with a roomie who had surgery-no problem I was told, as it was the surgical floor. ( I thought another surgical patient would at least understand desire for rest post-op!)
Weeellll.... I got to the room quite late after my TAH, and was in a druggy state. The roommie had her TV on all night--loudly!! I ended up using my Patient controlled morphine to drown out her TV and phone calls! She was in for a possible infection, but had not had surgery.
In the AM, I requested a room change after barely sleeping.
"Miss Thang" in the other bed overheard and said, "Well, I was here first!" *punch* I said I'd be happy to move.Besides, who wants to be next to an infection post-op?
The nurse helped me up, and I went across the hall to an empty room- Catheter,IV and all! Butt flapping in the breeze,too, I'll bet!

It was great to be alone early on, but later I got HysterSister Lucky Marie for a roomie, so there was a happy ending.

Don't be afraid to ask for changes if you need quiet.
Unread 04-06-2002, 01:59 PM

I too was at a Naval Hospital. I had a roomate that was rude! Maybe it was the same one, just different places? *LOL* We each had our own phone, tv, etc. She had no feelings for me, I just came out of surgery and there were over 8 people visiting her well after the visiting hours. TV up loud all hours too. So I complained. Geeeeeeesh, I just had major surgery, I'm on Morphine and I have to be a *itch? Yeah, I censored myself. *LOL* Anyhow, I was glad when she left the next morning, but I got another roomie who got sick during out-patient surgery and had to stay the night. She had a breast enlargement done. In the military, yup, she was active duty. Pays to give those nurses candy. You get the dirt on everyone! Anyhow, I'm glad I was there as she was getting sick and couldn't call for help.

It was 7 bucks a day for my room. I'm still waiting for the bill.

Sara
Unread 04-06-2002, 02:20 PM
Yep!

Hello! Best wishes to you on your upcoming surgery!
Yes, I had my very own room on the post-partum floor. LOVED it! Haven't had a room to myself in YEARS! Just wish I would've been able to stay longer and REALLY enjoy it!

I had to request this arrangement UP FRONT with the surgeons and the hospital. I did not have to pay any extra for this "service"!

Good-luck to you, dear!
Unread 04-06-2002, 02:20 PM

Sara,
That reminds me of the old joke: What do you want, a medal? or a chest to pin it on? I guess your 2nd roomie went for option # 2!
Maybe the services use plastic surgery as a recruiting tool !
"will enlist for breast enlargement" ???
Unread 04-06-2002, 09:04 PM

I had my surgery at Porthsmouth Naval Hospitol. What can I say about my roommate? She was GREAT!!! She's a Hystersister, aka sweetiedarling. She posted on this thread. NO! I wasn't the obnoxious first roommate(I was the second). Giselle, I know I drove you crazy and you sure didn't get any sleep with me in the room(sorry). Man, I sure was dooped up that night. Naval Hospitol ; Breast Implants ?? Are you sure it wasn't reconstuctive surgery for a Masectomy(breast removal). Happy Thoughts Ladies!!! Lucky Marie PS. As I stated above I was very dooped up but I vaguely remember sweetiedarling trying to bribe the nurses with homebaked goodies. Something about duck tapeing my mouth closed and full body restraints (Just kidding ).
Unread 04-06-2002, 09:31 PM

I was told at preadmitting that I could request a private room but there was no guarantee there would be one available. It's a first come first serve basis and the cost is $65 a night but will be well worth it if I get it!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register