Just Feel Like Venting | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Just Feel Like Venting Just Feel Like Venting

Unread 04-05-2002, 06:58 PM
Just Feel Like Venting

Going through all the tests, dealing with pain, seeing numerous doctors, having a few different procedures done to diagnose and or alleviate pain and countless medications.... I will be SO glad when this is over and done with. The Lupron, the massive 's, night sweats, insomnia, mood swings, cold chills and the lack of desire for with dh will all be gone soon. I am not nervous, YET, but more anxious about the after effects of general anesthesia. You know.. the heavy headedness, nausea, ing. Have had some thoughts here and there about requesting spinal for surgery, but think back to 1995 when I was going through countless spinal taps to treat viral meniningitis. The thought of having another needle (don't care how long it is there) in my back gives me the shivers!

I do feel as if I am making the right decision. There isn't a doubt in my mind. It will be so nice to LIVE my life, instead of my health running it for me!

The day I become a will be the beginning of a new life for me. Hip Hip Hooray!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 07:09 PM
Just Feel Like Venting

Amy - Vent all you need to. That's what we're here for.

Remember, waiting's the hard part

s
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:20 PM
Just Feel Like Venting

Dear Amy,

I had general anesthesia and had absolutely no nausea afterward, so you may not experience any at all. Have you had it before? If so, have you discussed it with your doctor? I don't know for sure, but think that maybe they can give you an anti-nausea medication right away to prevent the nausea.

The only time I had a spinal was with my first child, and I don't really remember very much about it, except that it was uncomfortable.

I like your remark that it's time for you to live your life. You've got a really positive attitude about your surgery, and that helps a lot.

I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:46 PM
Just Feel Like Venting

Amy, I had general, and it wasn't that bad. I did get sick after I woke up, but it only lasted a short time and then I was fine. I was clear-headed by the time I got to my hospital room; my mom & dh were amazed. I actually remember everything in the recovery room.

I think either option -- general or spinal with sedation -- would probably work out fine. Whatever discomfort may come with either will be temporary. I suggest talking it over with your doc and seeing what his/her recommendation is.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:02 AM
Just Feel Like Venting

I had the general. I did mention to everyone that I wanted anti nausea med. I woke up feeling good.
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:26 AM
Nauseaness after anesthesia

Hey, Amy, I, too, had concerns regarding being nauseated after the anesthesia, but I discussed this with the anesthesiologist during my pre-op assessment and informed him that I get very nauseated and will throw up if they don't give me something beforehand, which they gave me some pills to take before they took me down for surgery.

During surgery, they put anti-nausea medication in my IV tube, and when I awoke I felt just fine. I didn't have one moment of nauseaness, which was a blessing 'cause I didn't want to be ing while trying not to tear my staples/stitches.

I hope that all goes well with you and you are in our many thoughts and prayers. Keep us up to date and join us in the post-op chat when you're ready. There are lots of tips in there to consider and, even though everyone's surgery is different, you can find some very useful info there.

Take care, Paula.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register