Hello | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:21 PM
Hello

Hi everyone! Sure gratefull for this site!
I am starting to get nervous about my surgery, and I've still got to wait until May 13th! Is anyone else feeling a bit anxious with about 6 weeks to go ?
Right now one of my biggest fears is post op pain. Please someone tell me that the pain can be managed. I try to think positive, but am afraid of pain. Have never been through major surgery before. Oh, and supposed to have LAVH with anterior repair if everything goes as planned.
Just need a little support,
love and
Sandy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 07:39 PM
Hello

I had a TVH with A & P repairs
iam now just over the 2 week mark
iam now off all pain meds
you should be able to handle it
on a scale from 1 to 10
1 being the lowest and 10 being the worst
from day one my pain never did go above a 3 and by day 7 even that was gone
I hope I have helped you fears some what
hugs ladypeewee
Unread 04-05-2002, 07:41 PM
Hello

Hi Sandy,

It's perfectly normal for you to be nervous about your surgery, especially since you haven't had any major surgery before now and don't really know what to expect. That's the really great thing about Hystersisters - everyone here understands.

I had a vaginal with repairs, so didn't have the abdominal incision that you will have, but the pain that I did have was very manageable with the pain meds that I was given in the hospital (I was on a morphine pump there), and the pills that I took when I got home. If you haven't told your doctor that you are worried about the pain, please let him know so that he can reassure you beforehand.

Since you are having the anterior repair work done, you may want to buy a donut pillow to sit on. I really had very little discomfort, except when I tried to sit for any length of time. I didn't get mine until a couple of days after my surgery but it would have been nice to have one in the car for the ride home.

Please try not to get too worried - the waiting part is the hardest part.

's

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:39 PM
Hello

Sandy, the pain can be managed!! I had an LAVH 3 weeks ago -- easier than abdominal, but still lots of sewing inside. I was worried about pain too. But all those lovely Percocets took care of it for me. Truly, I haven't had any post-surgery pain that even comes close to the monthly cramps I used to get.

I say talk to your doc and make sure s/he understands your concerns. I recommend specifically asking about pain meds during and after surgery, both in the hospital and at home. Your doc may be able to put your mind at ease.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-06-2002, 12:59 PM
Hello

Hi Sandy,

Welcome! I know how you are feeling. I have exactly one week longer than you to wait. I was pretty scared after I made the decision to go ahead with the surgery (ok, I am still pretty scared!). But reading all of the notes of the ladies here who come home and repeatedly say, "waiting is the hardest part", I am getting better. Like you, I am scheduled for an abdomenal hyst because my Dr. is concerned about adhesions from a previous surgery and from mult ruptured ovarian cysts.

So, stick around and keep reading. It really does make me feel better. And I have come up with all kinds of new questions to ask ahead of time, so that there are hopefully no surprises after surgery!

Caren
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:41 PM
Help........ BiG FEARS

Thankyou ladies for replying to my post, it means so much and feel a little better every time I hear from someone who has "been there".
I need to share this....I was mentally preparing myself for being able to use a PCA pump after surgery. Talked to my surgeon about it, and he said that I won't need one, I won't be in that much pain!
Would like to beleive him, but could have a fairly low pain tolerance. Told him some of my fears, and he has set up a meeting for me with an anesthesiologist at preop. Do you think I should request the PCA pump if available?
One of my biggest fears is laying there right after surgery, not being able to control my pain, and no one coming with pain meds! Is it too assertive to ask the pain management person to have something ready if needed, or if that doesn't work, something else?
I am terrified of this surgery to be honest!
Help.....please respond!
Sandy (LAVH with anterior repairs, scheduled May 13)
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:03 PM
HI Sandy

I wish I had some specific answers for you. Perhaps you could talk to your doctor and even the anesthesiologist again and in advance of the pre-op to give you some peace of mind.
If you really want the pump, then I would go ahead and ask for it.
I used it with very good results. I had no pain once they started me on the pump in recovery.
Other women who have posted preferred pain pills.
I would stress your fears to your doctor and ask what "back-up" pain meds he could have on order just in case.
I hope this helps.
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:36 PM
Hello

Hi Sandy,

You asked:
>>Is it too assertive to ask the pain management person to have something ready if needed, or if that doesn't work, something else?

Personally, I don't think it would be too assertive at all! You have valid concerns and by all means they should be addressed prior to your surgery!

In my case, I had some significant pain control problems the first 24 hours after my TAH three weeks ago. I just debated whether or not tell tell you that, because I don't want to scare you even more! I decided to go ahead and type it, though, because I really do think it is worthwhile for you to talk about what will be done if you have the same experience.

Please keep in mind, though, that most of the women here who have already had their surgeries did have their post-surgical pain well controlled, okay? Also, please know that while I got off to a rocky start, things started to get better and better each day after that!

Hugs to you!
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:49 PM
Hello

My doc told me the same thing about not needing a PCA pump; turned out she was totally right. But I didn't have any repair work, just plain ol' LAVH.

Remember also that PCA is by no means the only means of pain control. They can inject stuff into your IV and give you pills too. And not everyone does well with morphine anyway.

Maybe you could talk to your doc about your fears and find out what pain management will be available for you post-surgery. Your doc may allay your fears, and you may sleep better.

Hang in there -- you are already in the hardest part now. You may be really surprised at how little pain you're in when you wake up post-op. I was.

Melissa
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:57 PM
Hi Sandy there you are !!

Here's your post being brought up to the top....hopefully more sisters will reply that have already visited the castle !!!
Once you repost on the same one it comes back to the top....so if you feel you haven't gotten enough support repost on the same topic , otherwise it gets flipped over the the 2nd page...there's a lot of us Nervous posters here....all LIW.....counting the days down..... I'm here for you if you need me...and I can stay in touch after my surgery on the15th.
I wouldn't worry too much about the post op pain tho...I had my DS via C-section and it wasn't that bad just mostly sore. I'll keep you in my prayers !
Deborah

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register