Hello - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:59 PM
Pain fears

Hi Sandy and everyone,
This is my first time jumping in here. I've been reading for a week or so.
I too am scared about pain afterward, especially since any and all pain medication seems to make me throw up. (My surgery is May 7)
However, just having read posts on this site has given me the calm to take a deep breath and remember that all of you are either on the same path or have been through the surgery. What a support!
Like you Sandy, my pain threshold is low but when I think of the pain for months, now years I'm trying to tell myself that this pain will take care of that for good.
Good luck to you Sandy. Take care of yourself and ask tons of questions. Make sure you are as comfortable as you can be for the process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 11:00 PM
Hello

I'm sending you big hugs! You sound exactly the way I was before my hyst (abdominal) I insisted on the pump and I am glad I did, as one of the other sisters said, mine was started in recovery. If you are that frightened and have such concerns you should express them and the Dr. should listen. Some may not need it, but the Dr. isn't YOU - only you know how you feel. Good luck sweetie, I'm praying for you
Unread 04-09-2002, 12:23 AM
Hello

Do discuss your concerns with your doctor and the anesthesiologist. Even if you don't tolerate morphine well, most hospitals can give you demerol or some other painkiller in the pump. Make sure you get all the specific ansewrs and information you want and need about pain control after surgery, in the hospital AND when you go home.

I had wonderful doctors at my hospital, but a bit of a mishap with pain control in the recovery room...they forgot to put painkillers in my IV!!! Wow when the anesthesia wore off, I cried, yelled, and cussed. It took a while to get the pain under control. ::note to self - if you ever have surgery again, remind them you'll need pain meds in recovery:: However, please know that my experience is NOT common at all, in fact nobody here had every heard of that happening before. Guess I was just lucky? ha ha

I had a morphine pump for about 18 hours after surgery, and it worked like a charm. Mainly it made me sleepy so I nodded off every time I used it. They then switched me to Vicodin and Motrin, which also worked very well. I liked having the pump because I didn't have to use the call button and then wait around for a nurse to show up with meds, but everyone is different and has different preferences about all this.

When I went home, my GREAT doctors sent me with enough medication for at least two weeks. I am now 19 days post and still haven't used it all up, as I have been able to cut back gradually over the past few days.

I am sending all you LIWs s and warm wishes for a smooth castle experience and a great recovery. And remember - talk to your doc about anything and everything that concerns you! You have a right to insist on the very best of care, and that includes good pain management.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 05:46 PM
Hello

WHEW! Just wanted to let you know that I asked to speak to the pain management person when I go for preop(next week).
I'm a little relieved because they will explain some things to me and hopefully I will feel a bit better about the pain management part.
I feel so fortunate to hear from such wonderful, kind and caring people on this site! Even kinder and more understanding than I could ever imagine, or ever hope for. It feels like the family like I never had.
Super big s to you all
Sandy
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:18 PM
Hello

Hello everyone

This is my first time posting here so bear with me, lol. I too was terrified about the pain management with my TAH. After giving birth twice "natural", I had a c-section and received no pain meds for 12 hours after surgery, my epidural had fallen out of my back! Needless to say I was terrified when my surgery date was set. I had now become a "chicken" when it came to pain. Any little pain I felt was now agonizing to me.
I talked to my doc and anesthesiologist and expressed my concerns and fears with them and relayed past experience. They were great in addressing my "issues"
I finally had my surgery on Wednesday, February 27 at 9:00 a.m. I was very surprised when I awoke to find I only had mild pain. I had the morphine pump until 6:00 a.m. when I requested for it to be removed. I was up out of bed at 7:00 a.m. and walking around with very little pain! The pain management went so well they sent me home on Friday. I was even, against doctors orders, shhh don't tell my doc, able to return to work (P/T) the week after my surgery. I am now 6 weeks post-op, back to work full time and have not felt this good in years
Waiting is truly the hardest part of the surgery.
Good luck with your surgery
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:33 PM
Hello

Yes, if I can muster up the courage to relay some past experiences and fears, it could help, right? People don't know what you don't tell them......
Sending Big s
Sandy
(LAVH with repair May 13)
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:29 PM
Hello

Wow Debbie that is amazing how quickly you recovered! And it's great BUT to other pre op sisters - please don't judge yourself by anyone else - EVERYONE is different and every surgery is different. I know sometimes I got discouraged because I thought I should be farther along in the healing process and tried to do things I shouldn't have done and ended up paying for it with swelling and pain! Listen to your Dr. and your body - rest- this is MAJOR surgery! Please take good care of yourselves!
Unread 04-10-2002, 02:19 AM
Hello

, Svquinn and everyone else,

I haven't had my surgery yet but I wanted to comment on the pain issue. Make sure when you get home to take your pain medication as precribed, even if it means setting your alarm clock if you have no one to wake you up. This is very important to do at least for a couple of days. Pain can get out of control really fast and what would keep you comfortable (example taking pain meds every 4 hours) will not keep you comfortable if you miss a dose. Then you try to play "catch-up" which can be a lot of very painful hours. So even if you are not in a lot of pain don't skip the pain meds. It very well may be the pain med keeping the pain low.

This is from personal experience (other surgeries) and what I tell my patient's before surgery.

Hope this helps and Keep us informed on how you are doing.

Kerri

PS: I can relate to being scared my surgery is 2 days after yours.
Unread 04-10-2002, 07:41 AM
Hello

Thankyou Kerri! It's nice to meet a sister around the same date.
I'll be sure to set my :alarm: What a good idea that I never thought of!
Thankyou for relating to my nerves, feel kind of like I'm slowly coming unglued!!!!
Are these nerves common before surgery?
Feel free to email me
Love and
Sandy
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:31 AM
Hello

Hi Sandy,

I really think people seem to vary a lot as to how much pain they have. I personally found it was much less than I had expected and was definitely controllable. I actually didn't have the pump, I had injections instead as I have a slight disability which would have made it difficult to use it. My advice is to ask for one if possible though - I thought the whole point of them is that you can press the button as much (or as little) as you like. So if you have no pain, you won't be drugged up uneccesarily!

I found that the worst of the pain was during the first day only, it got much better after that. I was surprised about the kind of pain it was though. My wound only hurt when I moved (or coughed or sneezed - that is really lethal and if you need to do either, draw up your legs first and hold your wound with your hand!) The worst pain was internal, a kind of period type of pain. There was a very short spell when this pain got a little difficult, but I was surprised to find that a combination of breathing exercises/ gentle stomach massage really eased the pain on those occasions.

My pain cleared up very quickly and I came off all painkillers immediately after coming home on day 5!

I hope all goes really well for you. Don't worry, the time goes really quickly - it will all be over before you even realise it!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register