Hello everyone | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hello everyone Hello everyone

Unread 04-05-2002, 08:02 PM
Hello everyone

Hello to all and many thanks to this site.
I posted yesterday with concerns about decision I am faced with. I had a laproscope the other day and the doctor told me I have Adenomyosis. He suggested that he would like to do a partial hysterectomy- removing the uterus and leaving the ovaries. I have read all that I can find on the web about this because until he used the term Adenomyosis I had never heard of it. What I am worried about is if he does a partial as he suggests if later on I will have to go back in to have the ovaries removed. My sister and other family have asked why leave the ovaries and why not do a complete hysterectomy now to alleviate any problems in the future. I don't know answers to the questions that my family has asked but I will be returning to the doctor on Tuesday (4/9) so I am trying to write down questions for him as I think of them. The only thing I know for sure is that I hear people tell me they would do this in a second if they could but I wonder how many of them faced with the decision would actually still feel that way. I am scared and worried about what I will go through once I have the surgery. I am most worried about the HRT and how I will do after going home. Thank you for the support. It comes when it is needed most. Hugs and prayers for all hyster sisters.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Hello everyone

Hi there,
As far as I know, if you are keeping your ovaries you wont need HRT. The doc who did my surgery really wanted to save one (which he did) so that I wouldn't have to have HRT.

Good Luck,

Diana
Unread 04-05-2002, 08:27 PM
Hi Pinky

Diana was right if you keep your ovaries you most of the time do not need HRT. Sometimes the ovaries are slow waking up after surgery so you will need a little HRT to help you through until they do wake. Go into helpful links there is a link to ando. It should be helpful. God Bless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-05-2002, 10:43 PM
Hello everyone

My theory is if it ain't broke, don't remove it. Sure, my ovaries could develop problems later, but so could my teeth or my toes, and I'm not having them removed.

It depends on family history of cancer and whether there's endo or other stuff wrong with your ovaries. It also depends on what gives you the most peace of mind. It's a very personal decision.

For me it was easy because I had my hyst mainly for severe menstrual cramps, which was pretty clearly uterus-specific.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-06-2002, 06:39 AM
Hello everyone

I too was diagnosed with adeno after a lap...I was all ready to keep my ovaries until I met with my GYN last week and he told me he would like to take everything...I was quite concerned with this since I am only 31 years old...but his reasoning was that because I got total releif of pain and bleeding from my 6 months of lupron, that he could only guarentee the pain would be gone by taking everything...I guess the lupron must shut down your ovaries too?? I am going to trust he knows what is best for me! I have read a lot on woman that would rather leave them and I am not looking forward to HRT, but I don't like surgeries or hospitals and would rather get it all over with at one time! I am sure you will make the right decision...My prayers are with you!
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:21 AM
Hello everyone

I had everything taken. I did not want to go through another surgery if needed. My ovaries weren't working very well any way. One had a big cyst and getting bigger and the other I felt wasn't working since I had terrible menapausal symptoms. Now I feel great all symptoms are gone! It is such a personal choice. I have lots of cancer in my family which also helped my decision. I am on Estratest and am feeling good. This was a hard decision for me too. I only changed my mind a dozen times a day. Drove my DH nuts. I am 3 weeks post op had a TAH/BSO.
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Hi Pinky

First let me offer you a
There is alot to think about when facing this surgery and it can be overwhelming.
My understanding is that adeno is contained within the uterus, unlike endo which can spread to organs outside the uterus.
You are young. I would agree with your doctor that you should keep your ovaries. I think it is great that he wants to preserve them for you. He apparently has no reason to think that they are not healthy at this time. Please do discuss this again with him on Tuesday. Get some reassurance that he will only leave them if they are healthy.
Your ovaries can provide you with many years of hormone production up to and sometimes beyond the menopausal years. No HRT to deal with after the hysterectomy.
Just recovery and getting back to your life.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register