HRT post op | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2002, 10:31 AM
HRT post op

I, too, am scheduled for 4/16 for LATVH with BSO. (Dx Myoma vs. sarcoma) Bloodwork strongly suggests the former but MRI suggests the latter. Should the latter be the case, will have a TAH/BSO. After reading some of the archives I am wondering how soon after surgery do you start HRT? Currently experiencing mood swings, crying jags (but I contribute that more to recent deaths in the family) some hot flushes, and definetly insomnia. Haven't discussed the progesterone issue with the MD so I don't know how he feels about this. What questions should I be asking him about HRT? My hx does not preclude it's use. I did have an allergic reaction to norethindrone however. Any suggested reading material?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 10:54 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Sudsy! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! Sorry to hear that you have to have a hyst, but this is the best place to get support and comfort and info! We'll be hoping for plain old lyomas, since sarcoma is fairly rare. Here is a link to the Hormone Jungle site (not the message board, where you can also go and post hormone questions). http://www.hormonejungle.com/ There is a pull-down menu on the right, where you can read different articles about HRT. Many drs only prescribe estrogen for their patients, but some are giving progesterone and testosterone also if the women needs something more. I started Premarin in the hospital 2 days after my hyst, some women have a patch applied in the operating room, and some women don't start for a week or more after surgery. Since I was getting close to menopause, my body was not used to so much estrogen, and I didn't tolerate the effects of Premarin very well. So I switched to Estrace, and have been on that for 8 months. It works great for me! It sounds like you are getting close to menopause, too, with your symptoms. You can ask questions here and on the hormone jungle board that you think of. HRT is important to keep you feeling good and keeping your bones and tissues strong, though some women have medical problems that prevent its use. Good luck in your research and best wishes for a smooth surgery and recovery! s
Ruthie
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:52 AM
HRT post op

I had surgery with removal of both ovaries on October 10 and have yet to go on HRT (except for the first week--had a patch). Prior to surgery I had mood swings and night sweats. I have not had either of these since the surgery. For a couple of months I had what I think were hot flashes in the middle of the night but not having those symptoms any more. My doctor recommended a wait and see approach on HRT. His communication was that there is risk for breast cancer, no real benefit for heart disease.

Good luck with your surgery and I know you'll feel much better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:14 AM
HRT post op

Hi Sudsy
I am one of those whose DR waits for two weeks after surgery to begin HRT. The body stores it up, and I think that's about how long it lasts. I didn't have any hot flashes or any other symptoms before I started. I am on Estrace 1mg/day.

If you have a pre op apt with him it would be a good question to ask.

Good luck with your surgery
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:12 PM
HRT post op

Hi. My main concern about having surgery was the menopause symptoms afterwards. I told my fears to the gyn,nurses, pre op people , everyone. I even told my gyn immed. before surgery when She asked if I had any last questions. Any way , I think with all my concerns and letting every one know , helped. The nurses told me that my gyn usually doesn't start HRT until the day after surgery , but in my case , I had surgery at 8 am and by 11:30 am I had a patch on. I kept it on for 3 days and then went to oral med, Premarin .625 and So far SO GOOD !!!!!
My advise to you is to be sure and voice any and all concerns you may have and talk to your dr about it.
Best Wishes to you !!!!
Terri (TVH/BSO 3-18)

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register