ovaries | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2002, 01:58 PM
ovaries

Hello ladies,

What warm and wonderful energy I feel from all these posts. I was hoping for some
guidance and inspiration. I am currently diagnosed with mild endometriosis, cervical dysplagia,
and likely adenomyosis. I am 33 years old. My biological mother (I am adopted) had a TAH-BSO for uterine cancer at 37 years of age. Her self and her sister both had to have lumpectomies for malignant breast tumours in their early 40's. My right ovary is slightly enlarged and is very painful so we are removing this one. Now here's the question...do I keep my left ovary (at 33) even though I am at risk (because of endo) for ovarian cancer. If not, will HRT increase my obvious risk of breast cancer? I feel so confused. I have been suffering chronic pain, bleeding and fatigue for almost 4 years now. I cannot handle the pain or the pain killers (ms contin and toradol)...for much longer...surgery May 2.
Any advise would be much apprieciated.

Sincere gratitude and respect,
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 02:28 PM
Not Sure...

I ended up keeping both of my ovaries....even though, once they went in for surgery, I had HUGE cysts on both, and one had exploded and was bleeding into my abdomen. We had not even thought about removing them pre-surgery...so kudos to you on thinking about it.
I am 32 (will be 33 in April) so we're the same age! Medically, I cannot speak on your question. Personally, I would choose to keep the "good" ovary in order to try and avoid HRT as long as possible. BUT that is what I would choose...it is definately something you should speak with your doctor about in great detail. For all I know, the ovaries I have kept will go into a surgical shock and send me into menopause, who knows? But I am glad that I still have them. I will deal with either having them removed or taking HRT as I need to.
Please feel free to e-mail me if you'd like. You will be in my thoughts!
Unread 04-06-2002, 05:27 PM
ovaries

Dear Lillith,

Thank you for posting a response. I truly appreciate it. How are you feeling now that "it" is over? On all levels...physically, psychologically, spiritually? We are multi-dimensional as humans and one level affects all levels.
I am now just waiting and waiting in lots of PAIN. I honestly do not remember what being pain-free is. I know I will once this is over. I will it!

Blessings! Feel free to e-mail me...
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 06:09 PM
Dear Pear

Hi. Just wanted to let you know that I am in a similar position you are in. I too am 33, and am scheduled for a tah/bso on 6/11. I'm going in for acute pelvic pain/endo with possible adeno. After visiting with my mom (she had a tah/bso when she was 40), my doc, dh and friends, we are removing my ovaries. My doc is concerned that if we leave the ovaries, they will continue to cause me pain, which would result in a second surgery, and I don't know about you, but I only want to have to do this ONCE!!!
I too am worried about the risk of breast cancer as the rate of breast cancer is very high on my dad's side of the family (more than 50% of the women have been diagnosed with breast cancer). My doc is aware of this, and says that we will start doing annual mamograms for me.
I will say lots of prayers for you and hope that you will make the decision that is right for you!!!

HUGS!

Cat
Unread 04-06-2002, 07:48 PM
ovaries

I am only 31 and am scheduled for a LAVH/BSO on 4-16..I was planning on keeping my ovaries, but doc suggested taking them..he feels that this is the only way to guarentee a pain free life...but this is only a choice you can make...I have no breast or ovarian cancer in that family, which is another reason doc's like to take the ovaries...but I did get total relief from lupron and that is what made up my mind (other than the horible side effects)...I am not looking forward to HRT but also do not have to go through another surgery! Its a tough decision and only you and your doctor can make the right choice...Hope everything goes great for you!
Unread 04-07-2002, 12:51 PM
ovaries

Thank you Cat and MJ for your replies. What do you know about HRT? This is something that scares me a little. In my heart, I believe the ovary should go...my head, welll that's another story.
You are both in my thoughts and prayers.
With respect, Paula
Unread 04-07-2002, 01:10 PM
HRT

Don't know too much about HRT, but I just got off the phone with my mom, she had a tah/bso 13 years ago. I asked her what she went through with her, and she said that she's been on the soem kind and dose that the dr. originally put her on with no dise effects! I can only hope that my transition is that smooth!!!!
I've been reading lots and lots on the hormone jungle post. I've also been considering supplementing my own hrt with the cream that I see advertised on this web site. I be lieve it is called angel cream, but I would have to check the ad again. I know that my next visit with my doc I will discuss my options with him, and ask him what he has seen that has been the most successful for his women. Maybe between the info he gives me and from shat I 've ben finding out here I will be able to find a happy medium!!
I can dream can't I???

My surgery isn't for another two months, so I will be doing lots of reading until then, which is driving poor dh nuts!!! He doesn't want me to try to absorb too much and then suffer from overload!!!

I will let you know what my doc says, and if there is anything else I find too. My mom is oging to bring a book her sister got for her that discusses hrt. I should have it by the end of this week. When she brings it, I will send you the title, and you can check into this as well!

Sorry for the rambling, but this is a subject that I am very interested in, and want to learn as much about it as possible, after all, I'll probably beon it for the next 40 or so years, right???

I will keep you in my prayers and hope that all will be well for you soon!!!!!
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:07 PM
ovaries

Hi Cat,

I have been doing much research on my end and I'll gather what I can and try to represent it into some cohesive whole on this thread. I will do this as soon as I have the energy.
My husband worries that I will become so overwhelmed with knowledge that that alone will cause me to pass out ! He worries a lot about me. It must be so emotionally difficult for them. I know mine feels sort of awkward because it is a pain that he will never be able to relate to. Not all pain is the same. Anyway that is just totally another story!

Blessings, may you all have a peaceful evening.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register