Recovery Time and Work | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Recovery Time and Work Recovery Time and Work

Unread 04-06-2002, 02:08 PM
Recovery Time and Work

Hi Ladies,

I know each of us are different, so recovery times will also be different, but in general, how long will it after the surgery until I would feel up to doing some light paperwork?

The reason I ask is that my employer is trying to find ways to help me financially while I am out during that time. They mentioned letting me take some work home to do as I feel up to it. One project is the annual leave records which need to be caught up and which would take me awhile to do. No exertion, just lots of detail work.

What can I expect in regards to feeling up to doing this? Since I do not have enough sick leave or vacation days and no savings, I really have no other choice. I need the money to pay my bills. (I'm divorced and live alone.)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 02:27 PM
Recovery Time and Work

My Dr. ok'd me to use my laptop for four hours a day after the second week. She said as long as I was on the couch with my feet up.... I was also cleared to drive short distances at that time. I was very fortunate in my recovery. I listened to my body tell me when enough was enough and did not overdo too much.
Like any other sister would tell you, be sure to check with your doctor first. I'm so sorry you are in the position to where you feel you must get back as soon as you can. I actually stayed out of my office for six weeks and then worked half days the first two weeks back. Whatever you do, be very good to yourself. We only get one chance to heal properly and pamper ourselves a bit.

Linda
Unread 04-06-2002, 08:48 PM
Recovery Time and Work

Hi Shashi!

You are very correct...everyone is different. The "normal" recovery time, that is, out of work time, is 6 to 8 weeks. As Linda said...the key to what her doctor allowed was that she was not sitting, but had her feet UP.

Sitting puts alot of strain on healing tissue...it should be considered an "activity". If you can find a way to work in a "beach chair" position...legs & feet elevated, you will put much less stress on your body. Please make sure it's ok with your doctor first, whatever you do!

In my own experience, I was pretty fuzzy headed for a few weeks...very little ability to concentrate on anything for more than a very short time. This included reading, watching movies, etc. If your project will involve details, I would not attempt it for at least two or three weeks. Between anesthesia and pain meds, you won't be as sharp as you'd like. (just read some of the early post-op postings by new princesses for examples. )

Go slow and easy, listen to your body, and clear everything with your doctor, and you should be fine. You are lucky to have a helpful employer, but don't let them impose on you...you need TIME to heal properly!!!

s to you!

Karen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 12:55 PM
Recovery

I was also wondering about recovery time. But as you can see most women say 6-8 weeks. I do not know where you live, (which state), however, I live in NY and plan to apply for disability benefits. You may check with your employer on this, or call the Insurance agent your company uses to discuss this. You won't receive full pay, but every little bit helps. In NY the maximum is $175.00 a week. Good Luck!!!
Sharon
TAH BSO 4/22/02
Unread 04-07-2002, 01:58 PM
Recovery Time and Work

Hi Sharon,

I live in Florida and have tried to find information on disability benefits, but can't seem to locate what I need. I don't have the optional disability insurance offered through work. (Silly me, I never thought I'd need it!) Does anyone in Florida have any information on any other type of benefit I could receive to help get me through my recovery time?

Thanks again. You ladies are wonderful!!!
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:12 PM
Disability Benefits

HI Shashi,
I guess that the disability benefits vary from state to state. Seems to me like I heard that Florida is a toughie. But before you give up on it, try looking in your phone book under state telephone numbers. Look for State of Florida disability benefits ph. #.
Now if all else fails, would your employer consider laying you off and allowing you to collect unemployment benefits? If so, ask him to do so the week before surgery. This would give you an opportunity to go to the unemployment office and fill out the paperwork.
Good Luck. I will keep you in my thoughts.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register