Questions about TAH/BSO | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Questions about TAH/BSO Questions about TAH/BSO

Unread 04-06-2002, 02:21 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Hi everyone,

I just joined hystersisters and I am hoping that someone can provide some information and/or tips for me. I am 19 years old and have been suffering with severe endo for the past 7 years. I've had 4 laparascopies, and a laparatomy in the last 4 years. I've been on lupron for 3 months and on every kind of bcp there is. Because of the servity of the symptoms and the endo being on my bladder, bowels, and all over the abdominal cavity, I'm having a hyst. I had second opinions and every doctor agreed with this. I've lived in constant everyday pain my whole teenage years. I just want to wake up and go to bed without pain for at least one day. I know that this isn't one hundred percent, but its my best chance for a life. A normal, pain free one at that. Anyhow, I am starting to freak out about the surgery now. I am not scared of the actual procedure, its going to be the same cut as my laparatomy, but of the surgical menopause that I'll be in when I get out of it. How is the symptoms of menopause? Are they really, really bad? Also, if anyone has had a tah/bso for endo, has it come back? Has it really worked? Between the surgical menopause and the fear of the endo coming back after the surgery, I am really freaking out. I am not allowed to take hormomes for at least 6 to 9 months so it doesn't feed any endo that may be left behind. I would really, really appreciate any info or tips or anything that anyone can tell or help me with. Thanks in advance.

Candida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 05:15 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Hi Candida,
First of all you came to the right place to get support and questions answered! This Web sight is wonderful!
I am 10 days post op from TAH/BSO I didn't have endo but had fibroids and adenomyosis. My Dr started me on HRT the day after my surgery. I haven't had any problems with menopause symptoms no hot flashes or mood swings but like I said I am only 10 days post op.
Sounds like you have really been through a lot in your young years! I wish you the best with your up coming surgery and I hope your recovery goes well also.

Nancy
Unread 04-07-2002, 02:06 PM
Thanks

Hi Nancy,
Thanks for sharing your hyst story with me. I am glad to hear that everything went great with your surgery and I hope you continue to do well with your recovery. Do you have any more tips that you think I should be aware of? Thanks again for your help.

Candida
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

HI!
I have TAH/BSO scheduled for tomorrow afternoon! Yikes! I have bad endo, have had chronic pain my whole life and heavy bleeding for over a year now. I had one lap and was on 3 different bcps as well. Enough is enough. I really fear the endo coming back and what the HRT will or won't do. So you're not alone! My Dr wants me on hormones asap but honestly, I don't for the exact reason you mentioned. So we'll see. I think the side effects of hormones can't be nearly as bad as the pain and bleeding I endure so I'm praying I'm right. Super good luck to you! I'm so sorry you have to have this so young...but I totally understand! Email anytime if you like! KimAZ
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:34 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Hi Candida,

I am so sorry for all that you have suffered. I can't imagine going through all that you have and your age. You have definately come to the right place for lots of support and information.

I had a TAH/BSO in November for severe Endo, fibroids, etc. Lots of yucky stuff like that. I started HRT right away. My doctor felt it was more important to NOT experience the menopause symptoms than the risk of a possible reoccurance of Endo. So, I'm afraid I can't answer your questions about what to expect. I'm sure there are others here who can help with that.

There are many articles about endo and reoccurance and from what I've read the actual possibility of it coming back is fairly small.

Come join us in chat for real time help and support. We'll be here to hold your hand every step of the way.

Hugs and best wishes,
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:43 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Hi Candida,
I had a TAH/BSO on March 11 - so I will be 4 wks. Post op tomorrow...
My dr. started me on an estradiol patch the same day of my surgery.
I also had some endo, adenomyosis and fibroids, and a polyp.
I have had minimal nite sweats....NOTHING like I had before my surgery and before my estrogen patch. Other than that I have had no symptoms of menopause. I feel happier and better than ever.
Even if you can not start your estrogen or hormone replacement therapy right away...there are some over the counter things you can do such as soy, black cohosh, vitamin E, etc. Check with you dr. tho on these things. Vit. E can cause bleeding and they don't want you on that for 2 wks. before and 2 wks. after surgery.
Unread 04-07-2002, 04:48 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

hello all,
I just wanted to thank everyone for all their help and support. I've gotten a lot of response and information regarding my questions. I really appreciate all your help. Thanks again. I wish everyone who has had surgery a great continued recovery and wish you all the best. Thanks again.

Candida
Unread 04-08-2002, 07:59 AM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Dear Candida,

I feel your pain. I also suffer from endo, have had it since I was 17, been through 4 laps, and was told at 18 to get a hyst. I ignored my MD's advice. He said I would have so much scar tissue that even if I did conceive, the embryo would have a hard time connecting. I didn't want to have a hyst at such a young age though, especially considering I wasn't given a chance to at least try to get pregnant. So I ignored my MD's advice. I'm not telling you to do that at all. I'm just letting you know that I've been there, done that. I'm finally getting a hyst on Wed (the 10th). I'm now 26, and I'm still terrified of menopausal symptoms, more so the emotional rollercoaster. My husband is in the military and is deploying 9 days after my surgery. Thank God for finding this website! Anyway, my point is, if you need someone to vent with, etc, I've been there at a young age, too, and I know how frustrating it is. You can email me if you want at jenniferormond@hotmail.com, or you can just post here.

Take care
Jen
Unread 04-08-2002, 02:09 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

Hey Jennifer,
I am sorry to hear about the problems you had leading up to your decision to have your hyst. I wish you lots of luck with your surgery wednesday and a great and speedy recovery. Are you having your ovaries removed as well? If so, please let me know how the menopausal symptoms are after the surgery. Thanks for writing me and I wish all the best for you on Wednesday and everyday after that. If you ever need to talk, I'm here too. It won't be too long and this will all be behind you, hopefully. Thanks again for your message.

Candida
Unread 04-08-2002, 02:59 PM
Questions about TAH/BSO

i was diagnosed 14 yrs ago at age 19 with severe endo. after being misdiagnosed and hospitalized with a PID. by 21 i wanted a hysterectomy and no dr would do it until i had children. i have had laps every 3 yrs and they provide relief for about 1.5 yrs. then the endo is back. i've been to several different dr.s (change of ins) and not one of them would even consider doing a hyst as long as i was in child bearing yrs. so i went off bc and tried to get pregnant. surprise the endo got worse quickly. no luck. so they put me on fertility drugs. i would not recommend those for anyone, they almost ruined my marriage (10 yrs at that point). when that didn't work i was sent to a fertility expert. was shuffled through a GIFT (gamma intra-fallopian transfer) procedure. that didn't work either. no proof, but i think all the fertility drugs increased the endo growth.
finally dr is consenting to hyst and removing ovaries. age 33. the pain is constant now and sex is unbearable. am so looking forward to geting rid of all this pain. dr is putting me on patch in recovery and said risk of endo growth after ovary removal is so small not to worry about it. i will be on a low dose of estrodal(?) patch. she says the shock of surgical menopause will be lessened this way. good luck. wishing a life free from pain.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register