Preparation | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-06-2002, 03:12 PM
Preparation

Hiya! I've recently been given my op date, and I'm looking for any advice re. stuff I can do to help prepare! I don't have a DH(anymore, in fact he wsn't very D at all) but I do have three teenage sons who are going to help me all the way. I've lost about 21 lbs in the last 6 months, and am determined to lose another 14 before my op as I feel this will aid my recovery. Any more ideas out there?
Great site!
Debi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 08:38 PM
Preparation

Hey, Debi, my name is Debbie, too! Keep up the good work is losing weight before the surgery. I was 90 pounds overweight-still am-and found it very painful having to hold up my tummy to move around! I had a abdominal hysterectomy so I had to be careful how I moved. A few tips before surgery. If you don't have anyone to help with meals you may want to make some and freeze them so your darling sons can heat them up for dinners. Also, don't be afraid to receive any type of help offered. If you are exercising now keep it up, it will help with recovery. I also drank lots of water afterwards to help get the anesthesia out of my system and help with healing. And tell your doctor about any and all medications, vitamins and herbal type suppliments you may be taking. I didn't know that I was suppose to go my vitamine E I was taking before my surgery. It is a blood thinner and I had alot of bleeding during surgery that I was almost given a transfusion! My doctor didn't know I was taking it. Hope this helps. I am just over a year out from surgery and am very glad I had it done. The first few weeks I wondered if I would get my energy back and every be able to sleep without pulling stitches! But I feel great now and I laugh every time I walk past a certain isle in the grocery store containing those pads I don't have to use anymore! YES!!! No more cramps, bleeding, going through a pad every half hour. Good luck on your surgery and rest, rest, rest afterwards! As you will read here, you only get one chance to heal! Let those boys do for you while you rest.
Unread 04-07-2002, 07:52 AM
Preparation

Cool! It is exciting and scary, but you know there is a at the end of the tunnel!

Keep working out this will aid in your recovery very much! And stay in touch with this site there is so much excellent support and information here!

Archide
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:19 AM
Preparation

I am Debbie too!
Keep up the good work on losing weight. I am 3 weeks post op and doing good. Had a TAH/BSO. Drink lots of water short walks and rest rest rest. Do not over do it because your body WILL let you know. I had a body pillow for bed. I had a little pillow for coughing, sneezing, and for the seat belt in the car. I purchased a little tool called grab it. I did not have to bend over to pick things up that I dropped. I also purchased slip on shoes so I did not have to bend to tie shoes. I stock up on prunes to help with the bowels. I had terrible gas pains for a couple of days and gas-x took care of that. Drinking water without a straw and no ice also helped with gas. Also eating foods that don't cause a lot of gas helps. Short walks and did I mention rest, rest, rest. Hopes this gives you some ideas.
Take care,
Deb
Unread 04-07-2002, 12:05 PM
Pre Op Preparations for the men in your life

I live with my DH and 2 adult sons(22 and 25) who are working and in college. The best thing I did was print off the 3 pages of
HOW TO CARE FOR A PUNCTURED PRINCESS and have them read it shortly before your date.

Wait till about one week before surgery to give them any of this detail or it will lose it's punch. My guys are doing great with me now at 4 weeks post op. We have one of their toddlers here every weekend and of course I cannot pick him up. You would be surprised how creative the guys can be when they want to be.
I sit in the over-stuffed rocking chair and they lay him in my arms to give him his bottle and put him to sleep--something I need as well as the baby. They come back then and take him and put him in the crib when he is asleep. I have also found that not driving for a month has been a privilege, much to my surprise.

Other ideas:
I wish I had bought a box of flexible drinking straws.
I wish I hadn't bought a case of "bargain" flavored bottled water--
I hate it. Stay with something you know you like.
Buy lots of minipads--I had to send the guys out 3 times to get more and am still using about 5/day.
Pericolace(stool softener/laxative) is my best friend.
I had lots of embroidery and books but really couldn't concentrate for the first 2 weeks--slept lots.
If you are having any bladder work done and will have to do self cathing--get a magnifying mirror so you can see, at least in the beginning.
Also if having bladder work done, plan on giving up caffeine for a while as it irritates the bladder.
I found that snug panties felt better on my abdominal incision than baggy ones.
A heating pad is very comforting, sometimes on the front, sometimes on the back.
Get outside and sit in the sun as much as possible.
EVERY BIT OF IT WAS WORTH IT!!!!!!

3/11/02 laparoscopy, TVH, BSO, MMK, Cystocele/Rectocele repairs
for dysplasia, fibroids, adenomyosis, endometriosis and prolapses

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register