vaginal hysterectomy | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

vaginal hysterectomy vaginal hysterectomy

Unread 04-06-2002, 10:53 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Hi I am esr and I am scared to death of this surgery and my date keeps creeping closer and there is nowhere to hide.How long will it take to get better after the doctors and surgery is through and how long do I have to stay in the hospital and how bad is the pain? Is it worse than having a baby?My surgery is sceduled on April 18th and I have been on Depo Lupron for 3 months to get my blood to a level ,so I can have surgery ...but I wish I didn't have to and I don't know how ......nor how I am going to take care of my two small children.....Any suggestions?I do have a husband but he is clueless and more scared than I am of this surgery...Help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-06-2002, 11:30 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

I am sorry you are so nervous...I really know how you feel. I had a TVH on April 1st....and let me tell you it wasn't anywhere near as bad as I was expecting!! The only time I can say I was in real pain was immediately after the op and for the rest of that day......however I asked for all the pain relief I could get and it REALLY helped. Day after the surgery I woke with just a little soreness, they took out the catheter ( which was just a little discomfort),went to the bathroom, peed fine, got washed and was sent home! I have been taking it easy, just felt sore and uncomfortable at times, used percocet occassionally.......but I'M GOING CRAZY WITH BOREDOM!!! I can tell you that my periods were more painfull than what I have experienced over the last week since surgery!! Wish I had done it sooner! Remember everyone is an individual...I know some ladies have a rough ride, but please know that there are many of us who have a pretty good experience. Just get all the pain relief you need, take it easy and be kind to yourself. I wish you well!
Unread 04-07-2002, 01:25 AM
ESR

Hun, Take a big deep breath and let it out real slow. You will do fine. I had a LAVH/RSO and bladder repair last Sep. The surgery went well, I stayed in the castle 5 days. (NZ). I had really no actual pain after just an uncomfortable feeling and abit of backache but that was it.
You will need your Hubby to take an active part in looking after you while you are recovering. You will need lots of rest and in the begining will feel very tierd. With small children i suggest that Hubby tries to take about a week off work.
Recovery and healing are such an individual thing, some are quick and some not so. Doing too much or being on your feet for too long etc will slow recovery down. You have only have one chance to heal properly so just listen to your body. You will do great. We are all here for you and please drop by the chat room for extra support. Anything more you would like to know do not hesitate to post again. Hugs take care Vicki
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:07 AM
Hi esr

I had a TVH with A & P repairs
the reason for my surgery was I had prolasp
laymans terms I wet on my self

I was not in any pain before I had my surgery
and I am not in any pain since I have had my sugery

at first I felt like I had just given birth
but it was not bad i was just alittle sore
I have been off all pain meds since the middle of last week

I had surgery on 3 ,20,02,came home on 3,22,02
and been doing good ever since
I don''t do anything eather
hope I have been helpful
hugs Ladypeewee
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:22 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

I had a TVH-BSO in January. I must say that the post op discomfort I had was nothing like the raging periods I had been going through. I use the word discomfort, because it was not what I would call pain; I was home 36 hours after surgery and took ibuprofen three times a day for three days, didn't have any pain, but one of the nurses said to do it anyway, it would keep any pain away. Apparently that worked! You say that you have small children, well even young children can help mommy. Follow your docs post op orders, listen to your body. The first week will be when you want to really be careful and rest and take good care of yourself, and be sure to ask for help! Most men will not know what you can tolerate and can't, just ask! Also keep in mind that even tho you will not have a belly incision, the work done on the inside is the same! Oh, maybe I should clarify here, taking it easy does not mean being a slug, just being careful.

I wish you the best!

Unread 04-07-2002, 11:37 AM
vaginal hysterectomy

Thank you ,this helps me understand much better .I really appreciate you answering my fears and questions .
Unread 04-07-2002, 01:13 PM
vaginal hysterectomy

Everyone is different! I had major pain right after the op and the rest of the day. The morphine drip helped plus heating pads for my back and stomach. I stayed two nights. I had a couple of complications. My husband is an angel I was glad to go home to his care. The nurses are too busy. Good Luck. Honestly the waiting was the worst part, and right after in the recovery room. My husband has been a real liquid policeman.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register