HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   HysterSisters Hysterectomy > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

HysterSisters answers for your Hysterectomy Questions With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our forum community, get free booklets, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more. Join us today!

What causes enlarged uterus? What causes enlarged uterus?

Unread 04-07-2002, 02:12 PM
What causes enlarged uterus?

I know this may be a stupid question but what makes one uterus become enlarged? Also, I am interested in hearing from anyone that had an epidural or spinal for pain control following surgery while in hospital. This has been recommended to me and I would like to hear from experienced princesses. Thanks to everyone on this site. This is making the anxiety a little easier!!
Unread 04-07-2002, 02:36 PM

No question is stupid. A uterus can become enlarged for several reasons. One is from adenomyosis, which is kinda like endo, but withing the unterine wall instead of on the outside of the uterus. Fibroids are another cause for the uterus to be bigger.

I had general anesthesia with my hyst, but a spinal with my first C-section and epidural with the 2nd one. I'm glad to have had my general, but have heard positive experiences from those on here with spinals or epidurals with their hysts.
Unread 04-07-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks PDawn

Thank you for your reply. Do you know if adeno can be missed during d&c and hysterscopy? I had both last wed. and dr. said my uterus was too enlarged to see very much but that he could feel fibroids within the walls. I have been reading about adeno and I do have most of the symptoms. Does having this diagnosis change surgery outcome or recovery. Dr. also suggests removing ovaries and tubes. I am beginning to get very nervous about that. I appreciate any info you might have.
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:57 PM

Hi Ktr,
As far as I am aware, they cannot accurately diagnose adeno from a hysteroscopy and D&C as it occurs actually in the walls of the uterus.

There are various forms of fibroids that also wouldn't be diagnosed without further testing. I had a smallish fibroid that was pendunculated (growing on a stalk) and pushing thorugh my cervix. This little guy was causing my heavy bleeding and was removed through hysteroscopy last Nov. I had much bigger ones growing intra murally (in the muscle of the uterus itself) which caused my uterus to become that of a 20 week pregnancy leading ultimately to the hysterectomy.

The size of the uterus partly determines whether the doc can do the surgery abdominally or vaginally (I think). I had abdominal surgery with a vertical incision. I am now 2 1/2 weeks post op and doing well - you must remember to rest afterwards!!

Diana
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:18 PM

Ktr,

The only true definitive way to diagnose adeno is a after a hyst. Sometimes dr's can see signs during an ultrasound, like mine did, or some other tests like a MRI. But not always. And again, these are just signs that it may be present, not a true accepted means of diagnosis. I'm sure it is possible for the dr to have missed seeing signs of adeno (if that's what you have) during the procedures you had, especially if the inside of the uterus was too enlarged from the fibroids. And if the adeno doesn't have the little "islands" within the uterus, it could be missed.

As far as the surgery, if the uterus is too enlarged, your dr may only want to do the hyst abdominally. For the recovery, adeno itself doesn't really have an impact on the time it takes to heal. Because once the uterus is removed, so is adeno. However, if you have an abdominal incision, you could take a little longer to heal there. No matter which way a hyst is preformed, there's still lots of healing to take place on the inside.

Hope this helps some.
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:49 PM

Welcome...I was diagnosed with adeno during a laporoscopy...it was not a 100% diagnosis I am sure, but the uterus was enlarged and very "boggy", that, with symptoms of endo and lack of endo in the pelvic region makes my doctor believe I have adeno...I have many of the same symptoms as endo (cramps all month, heavy bleeding, large clots, sharp stabbing pains, painful intercourse), the doctor said there could be micro endo that was not seen...guess I will know for sure in 9 days
I am sooo looking forward to a pain free life!!
Unread 04-07-2002, 09:15 PM
Had a spinal

My uterus was enlarged due to fibroids, which were diagnosed through an ultrasound.

I had a spinal for my TVH, and I thought it was great. I dozed during most of the surgery, but was vaguely aware of my surroundings. I saw my uterus before I was wheeled into recovery, where I mostly waited for my legs to wake up. I never had any pain beyond very mild cramping - nothing as bad as my periods were - and it only lasted the first two or three days. They gave me Ibuprofin for the pain in the hospital, and I continued to take it as needed after I came home. I was only in the hospital one night.
Unread 04-07-2002, 10:32 PM
thanks KTR

Thanks KTR and the rest of the hystersisters, I have an enlarged uterus and was so happy the day I found out that I was going to be scheduled for the hysterectomy that I forgot to ask the doctor what caused it.

My date for surgery is April 30, but am hoping that there will be a cancellation and I will be able to go sooner. I have been taking birth control pills to control the bleeding and even two pills a day does not stop it.

Also, I have found that lately I am getting worried. What was first extreme happiness that the pain and bleeding were going to be gone is now fear about the future. Thank you for this board. It does me good to read about what others are going through.

Linda
Unread 04-08-2002, 12:01 AM
General and Epidural

KTR

I had a general anaesthetic for the hyst and and epidural put in place just before going into OR. The epidural was for post op pain relief. It was left in 48 hours post op and was just the best for me. No throwing up, no pain. It was great and if I was ever to have major surgery done again, I would go the same path.

If it is offered, my own opinion, is go for it.

Best wishes for your surgery.

Regards

Gail
Unread 04-08-2002, 12:44 AM
thanks buckkie

Thank you for your input. I was told last week by a recovery room nurse that they would do this for me. Also, a friend had this a couple of years ago and said it was great because she was virtually pain free in the castle. However, my sister thought it might be risky since I might try to overdo it in the castle. Any thoughts on that? How do you move around with the epidural?

HysterSisters Free Hysterectomy Booklet
What 250,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy with 50 pages of information, helpful tips and hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy through an organized timeline.