What causes enlarged uterus? - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What causes enlarged uterus? What causes enlarged uterus?

Unread 04-08-2002, 01:02 AM
What causes enlarged uterus?

Hi ktr

I had my SAH on 3/20. I had a fibroid which had been discovered during an ultrasound in 1998, but had grown to a 20-week size. Also adenomyosis, which was suspected in a second ultrasound done in 1/02, and confirmed after my surgery. The only definitive finding of adenomyosis is after surgery, according to my doctors.

The docs told me they definitely could NOT do a vaginal or lap hyst because of the size of my uterus, and especially because the fibroid was so large. I had a general and they gave me something for nausea before surgery, it worked like a charm. But I have read a lot of posts from ladies who had a spinal or epidural for the surgery, and afterwards. I guess this is up to you and your doc and anesthesiologist. I would have liked to have an epidural for pain control afterwards - I was on a morphine pump for about 18 hours, and Vicodin after that, but neither one totally controlled the pain. It wasn't horrendous, but I wasn't really comfortable either.

Here's wishing you all the best with your surgery and recovery. Adeno doesn't really change your recovery time, as long as you follow the rules and be a good princess once you get home.

I'm sending a your way, be sure to post if you have any more questions or even if you just want to vent.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 04:16 AM
walking with epidural

KTR

I had my surgery late on the Wednesday afternoon. Thursday they got me out of bed and sat me in a chair. On Friday morning the physio lady came with a high walking frame (roller rocker I called it). 2 nurses came with me as I was still hooked up with epidural, iv, cathedar and blood bag. They only walked me about 20 yards down the hall, me leaning on frame, nurses wheeling all the attachments.

By Friday pm epidural and iv had been removed. I was totally able to get myself out of bed without too much pain, lean on the roller rocker, and take myself for a walk. My partner could not believe it, when he came to visit me on Friday night, the roller rocker and I were walking down the hallway to him. He just could not believe the difference 24 hours had made. From that point on there was no stopping me. The whole op and recovery has been a very positive experience for me.

I took it easy for the first 8 weeks, then launched slowly back into a "normal" life. Now I am 17 weeks post, and all bar heavy lifting I am now back to doing almost everything.

I truly believe it was because I got through the first couple of days virtually pain-free that I had a really good kick start on the road to recovery.

Regards

Gail
Unread 04-08-2002, 05:59 AM
Overdoing in the Castle

It would be very difficult to overdo in the castle, largely due to lack of opportunity. You'll probably be hooked up to an IV for a while after the surgery, and you may have catheter, as well. Just getting out of bed is a major endeavor at first, and requires help. Once everything's disconnected you'll be more mobile, but still, there's not that much you can do other than some walking. Now once you get home, that's another story. It's way too easy to overdo at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 11:41 AM

hi

ia m 7weeks post-op and at my 6 week check last week i was told i had had adeno.I had previously had 2 hysteroscopies and biopsies and this was not detected.In fact adneo,had never been mentioned,but when i have looked at the web site since i had most of the syptoms i dont know how it was not picked up earlier.

As i am only 33 i was in two minds whether i should have a hyst.but now i am so pleased i made the right decision.

hope all goes well for you
take care
debsx
Unread 04-08-2002, 01:13 PM
symptoms of adeno

hi debbie,
looking back on your history, what were your symptoms? Also, does anyone know if bladder and bowel can be involved in adeno? I am enjoying this sight immensely. I hope one day I can offer hints and soothing words of comfort to ladies-in-waiting.
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:17 AM

hi

my main syptom was prolonged bleeding,with stop start at beginning and end this apparently is caused the the muscle in the uterus not doing as it should.I also had less than a 28 day cycle.I had uterine pain with intercourse and the big O.These were my main problems,but there are lots of web sites about endo,have a read and see if you can identify with any syptoms.But of course it doesnt mean you have it.

Take care
love debsx
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:40 AM
enlarged uterus

Hello, my uterus was 9 pounds when my doctor took it out. She said it was from all of the cysts I had (I had about 32 of them). It had been pushing on my pelvic bones for months!
I also had a spinal, it was the best thing I ever had. I was not sick after my operation because of being knocked out at all. That in its self, from what I have read here is great.
Take care
Lisa
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:02 AM
Hi KTR

My doc thought I may have adeno, but pathology came back negative, even tho he mentioned that the uterus was somewhat larger than normal. I had many bladder and bowel problems from my hyster, all usually around the time right before and during my period. I think with the swelling you have during PMS and the bleeding, and if you have adeno - the enlarged uterus, it can play a major roll is bladder and bowel function. If your uterus is enlarged, it is pressing on other organs which can cause discomfort or problems. Talk to you doctor to be sure that this could be a sympton of the enlarged uterus. Best of luck to you!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register