No easy answers | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No easy answers No easy answers

Unread 04-07-2002, 02:14 PM
No easy answers

Four years ago, I was told I needed a hysterectomy. I had jumped through all the hoops and had a exploratory laparoscopy. But then I changed jobs and location. That meant a new doctor. I went with only Prem-Pro to get me through til surgery.
This doctor believed he could treat me medically. He took me off hormones and put me on Lupron. Major menopausal symptoms. So he added low dose estrogen. OK so far right?
Finally after six months, he switched me to Depo Provera and low dose estrogen.
Soon after that I found that my cholesterol had jumped from 186 to 307. I was genetically predisposed to high cholesterol and the lack of estrogen to protect me made my cholesterol go sky high. My internist put me on Lipitor.
Then I had a bone scan done and I was found to have Osteopenia. The lack of hormones combined with whatever caused the calcium to be leached from my bones and I now had thinned boned with a lot of pain. That gave me Fosamax and calcium supplements ( the supplements I had already been taking).
So the doctor then put me on Prem-Pro, said I probably needed the surgery after all but he was no longer going to do gyn patients so I had to find another doctor.
Three months on PremPro and I was bleeding again.
I found a new doctor who switched me to Activella. After several weeks I am still (so far) not bleeding with this medication.
But here I am -- no surgery but having to take other medications because of medical treatment.
Moral of this story -- if you opt for medical rather than surgical make sure they monitor your cholesterol and bone density. If you have family history of high cholesterol (I still don't know of any) or are small boned this is especially important.
I am now at the point where if this works I stay on Activella until something goes wrong again. If any bleeding occurs I will have the surgery. But I am also on those other medications for conditions I didn't have before.
I am 52. I never expected it to be like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 02:31 PM
No easy answers

Hun, after hearing from you and others who've had to go through all this makes me even more thankful for my dr. He said that the hormones would only be temporary for my adeno...if it even helped at all...and that he didn't want to see me go through all the side effects from the hormones. We already knew that birth control pills caused me horrible migraines, so it was likely I'd have them plus other side effects if I tried the hormones first. Another option was an ablation, but he said that would also be temporary.

I have yet to hear that either the hormones or ablations have helped anyone and prevented them from ever ending up with a hyst in the long run. Does anyone know of anyone who it has helped and they never had to have the hyst after all? If not, then why do dr's keep putting women through all this just to wind up with the inevitable after going through all that suffering?

I'm so sorry you've had to go through this and hopefully the Activella will work for you.

s
Pam

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register