morphin? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:33 PM
morphin?

Can anyone tell me does this morphin pump really work? And what kind of pain medicine do they send you home with? I am such a big whimp, I cry over the iv...lol
I am afraid that I will be in lots of pain. And did everyone have to have a catherder?? PLease help with this. thanks
Nervous in Ohio...lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:38 PM
morphin?

Hi Kendra,

Because everyone is different, everyone reacts to the morphine pump differently. And, different situations warrant different reactions too. I had a morphine pump with my c-section 10 years ago and it worked great. With my hyst in November, it didn't work as well. So I relied on my trusty Vicodin. What pain med you go home with depends on your doctor. My advice to you though is to NOT be afraid to ask for more medicine if what you have isn't working. If the morphine pump doesn't cut the pain, ask for something else. Don't wait and think it will start working. If you are in pain when you wake up from the surgery, let them know in recovery. Remember, no one gets a medal for NOT using the pain meds!

Yes, as far as I know, everyone does have a catheter. I've never heard of a surgery not having one. It is put in after you are asleep - and when you wake up you won't care!

Hugs and best wishes!
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:57 PM
morphin?

Hi. The morphine pump worked well for me. I tried not to use it too much because I was kinda afraid since I never had it before, but my nurse told me to use it whenever I needed it , I couldn't OD on it, so I used it whenever I started to feel discomfort. I really didn't have real pain while I was taking it. After 24 hours I got off the pump and started taking Vicoprofen. I started taking 2 at a time until I started having really bad headaches and then went to 1 every 4 hours or so , and then the headaches went away. I went home with the same medication but after a few days, I went to Motrin and it worked fine. I know everyone is different , but it worked for me.
Best Wishes to you !!! Terri (TVH/BSO 3-18)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 07:44 PM
morphin?

I had a TVH with A & P repairs
and I didn't get the pump
I got something in my I V it work like a charm
any time I asked for it I got it and I would go to sleep for about 4 hours I Think
it was wonderfull
then I came home with ( BRAND NAMES ) percocet ,roxicet ,roxilox.tylox
mine was Tylox 5-500mg cap mall
qty 20
I was to take one or two capsules by mouth every 4 to 6 hours as needed and belive me I took them every 4 hours as I didn't want any pain
then on the 26 I was put on PROPO-N/APAP 100-650 TAB.TEVA
QTY20
INSTRUTION ARE TAKE ONE TABLET BY MOUTH EVERY 4 HOURS AS NEEDED
I TOOK these also every 4 hours at first then I started to see how long I could go till I took the next one well needless to say now here it is little over two weeks and I have 4 pills left and I am now not taken anything at all for pain and I am not haveing any pain
when I was taking my pain meds I kept a pad and pen with my bottle of pain meds so I could keep track of my last pill and what time I took it that way the next time I needed one I would know if I could take another one or not
as some of the pain meds that you get make you quite sleepy
and I knew that I would have brain fog
not to mention my hubby was in charge of givng me my pain meds
need I say more
now about the cathereter I got to bring mine home with me till the 26th at which time it was taken out and I could go pee on my own
sorry so long
hugs ladypeeweee
Unread 04-07-2002, 07:57 PM
morphin?

The morphine pump did wonders for me. It kept me very comfortable as far as the pain management. I noticed that the morphine left me without an appetite. Nurses said that you really don't have much of an appetite while on the morphine pump. Once I went off the pump my appetite was very normal.

I was sent home with Percocet to help with any pain. I did very well with this medication. Please tell your doctor if you are allergic to any medications. Remember.......once you are home your doctor is only going to be a phone call away just incase you encounter any reaction to medications or have questions. I had a catheter for the day of the surgery. The next morning they removed my catheter.

You will do fine as your doctor will take good care of you!
Unread 04-07-2002, 11:14 PM
morphin?

Hi Kendra. Everybody is different. The morphine pump is usually the first thing they try because it's something you can sort of have control of yourself (within limits; there is a timer so you can't just hit the button continuously and keep getting more). It works very well for some but for me it didn't do diddly squat for the pain and just made me woozy. If you have a tendency to get nauseous it can make that worse, but all you have to do is ask them at your pre-op to put some antinausea meds in your IV and that won't be a problem. The only thing that really helped me with the pain was toradol injected into my IV, after I persuaded them to disconnect the morphine pump. The toradol dulled the pain a bit so I could rest and didn't make me feel loopy like the morphine did. Once the IV came out I switched over to Vicodin ES and Ibuprofen 800mg in combination, and stayed on those for about a week and a half at home. They didn't work as well as the toradol but since they're taken orally you can take them at home. The important thing is to speak up and let the nurses know what the pain is like for you. They can't help you if you don't tell them.
About the catheter, yes, everybody gets one but it is put in while you are already asleep. Some lucky women have it removed by the time they wake up; most others keep it for at least a few hours but in general we don't really care since the swelling in the area keeps it from being very noticeable at first. Some of us unlucky ones have to take it home with us. I had mine for a week at home and even though I was upset about it at first it really wasn't all that bad. Eventually I was able to remove it when my bladder had recovered enough to be able to function on its own.
Please try not to get too anxious about the pain level beforehand, because it's different for everybody and yours might not be much at all. Also it depends on what surgery you are having. Same with the catheter -- no sense worrying about something that hasn't happened yet. I found that if I just sort of "went with it" as things happened and didn't try to fight it, it wasn't as scary or difficult.
Best of luck!
s,
- Linda
Unread 04-07-2002, 11:29 PM
morphin?

Kendra, I understand your concerns -- I had them just a few weeks ago myself.

As far as I know, everyone wakes up catheterized. It kinda made me nervous, but truly it wasn't a big deal. They took it out when I asked them to, because I was able to walk. You might want to keep it in that first night so you can sleep without having to go to the bathroom every 2 minutes. And when it comes out, it's really not bad, and it's very quick.

I'm nervous about IVs too -- my hospital gives a tiny injection of local anesthetic before putting in the IV and it really helped! The tiny injection is with a really tiny needle and hardly hurts, and then you don't feel the IV at all! You could ask your hospital about this if you're interested.

Hang in there. It's scary before you go in because you don't know what to expect. But just remember how relieved you'll feel when it's all over!

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-08-2002, 01:25 AM
morphin?

Hi kendra

I am also a big chicken when it comes to needles. I suffered with pain daily for years before I had my hyst, and now, well, I am just not willing to have pain if I can do anything about it!! Enough is enough.

I had a morphine pump for about 18 hours after surgery, and it worked very well for me. But as the ladies have said, everyone is different. If it isn't working for you, the doctor can order demerol or some other medication that might work better. Mostly what the morphine did for me was make me really sleepy, so I guess if I WAS in any pain, I didn't know it!

I was sent home with Vicodin and Motrin. At first I waited until I needed it before I took it, but that was a mistake. The best thing to do is take it on schedule for a while, so you don't get locked into the pain. I am 18 days post now and have cut back a lot on the pain meds. I mostly just need them first thing in the morning, and before I got to bed at night.

Also, as has already been said on this thread, don't be shy about asking for more medication if you need it. Pain can hamper your recovery! You need to rest, and if you are in pain, resting is pretty much impossible. So be sure to let your doctor know if you are still having pain and need a refill on the meds.

I wish you a smooth experience with your surgery and recovery. If you have any other concerns or just want to vent, be sure to post here, before AND after surgery.

Here's a , take care.

Unread 04-08-2002, 03:37 AM
morphin

Hi KendraA
The morphine is brilliant just remember to keep pressing it. The nurses told us to keep the medication level high so the pain is easier, don't think of trying to be brave and using less as the pain can take ages to get back under control. I had surgery last Tuesday, first day home today, very tired!! Hate keep asking for help, can't bend or stretch or carry, but able to sit and use pc. As for the catherter, i was the only one in my ward without one. But i had one last year at the start of my diagnosis in to my problems, it does not hurt when they take it out. It would of been easier with one, as i had to keep getting out of bed to pee!! I think all this in and out of bed is why i am so bruised {black and blue all over lower tummy not just around scar}
Lots of love julie g

TAH and one ovary,due to fibriods and ovarian cyst
Unread 04-08-2002, 04:24 AM
morphin?

Hi Kendra,

I didn't have the morphine pump, as I have a slight disability to my left arm and they thought I wouldn't be able to use the pump. I had morphine injections instead, plus some oral painkillers.

There was only one time, a few hours after my op, that the pain was really bad and I did some breathing exercises to calm myself. To my amazement, the breathing actually eased the pain itself!

I also found that just placing my hand fairly firmly on my stomach (sometimes with a little gentle massage, keeping my hand in one position and just moving the skin) really eased the discomfort a lot - particularly the wind pains you tend to get in the early days.

I stayed in hospital 5 nights and haven't used a painkiller since coming home. I have been really lucky there. So, don't assume that you are definitely going to need painkillers for a long time.

With regards to the catheter, I was really glad to have it in immediately after the op so I didn't have to worry about going to the loo! Make sure you drink lots of water though, especially just before the catheter comes out. I had a feeling of a full bladder and had to rush to the loo as soon as mine came out - it felt a bit uncomfortable the 1st time, but I had no problems with my bladder afterwards!

As well as the IV and the catheter, you might also have a drain coming from the wound collecting blood. Mine was a round, transparent, thing - so you could see the blood inside it! It is a really weird feeling when they take that out - the nurse told me to take a deep breath in and then to breathe out as the tube is removed. Be sure to do that, it really helps!

One final word about feeling sick. We all know that the anaesthetic makes some people sick and the morphine can also cause some nausea (though it is usually given combined with an anti-sickness drug to combat this!). With me though, I started feeling sick 3 days post op and was told that it was probably the painkillers I had been having (sorry, can't remember what they were called!) So, if you do feel sick ask whether you are on anything which could be causing it!

I really sailed through my op and, up to now, the recovery period too. The whole thing was really much, much better than I expected it to be. I hope all goes equally well for you too.

The very best of luck to you,

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register