surgery | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-07-2002, 03:51 PM
surgery

Wondering,
How long does the surgery usually take and do they let you wake up on your own or do they wake you up? how long are you usually out before coming too??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:06 PM
Great Question! Will Read Answers!

Mine was 4.5 hours but I had cancer and they did stuff on the bowel too. It's the awaking part that interests me. Here's my experience. Of the surgeries I've had, I can only remember the recovery room once. The rest of the time, I've fully awakened in the room. This last time, when I woke up fully, my regular Dr. was there and I'm sure he must've had to use a bullhorn to wake me up. Yet, when I got my hospital reports, the anesthetist noted I was awake in the OR. Oh yeah? Define awake! I also know they will have you technically awake in recovery (found out quite a bit about that and that I could volunteer to be up there and help orient patients) as well. You may not remember any of this and are still technically awake. I can't wait for other responses. As I said, define awake!
Unread 04-07-2002, 04:14 PM
surgery

doc said 2-3 hours pre-op but my surgery took 3 1/2 hours but they did more than just hyst on me- I was glad I told hubby 4 hours so he wouldn`t worry
I was awakened in the recovery room - they were calling me - I became fully awake in recovery room . Doc came in and talked to me before I went to my room.
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Hi there

My surgery took around 3.5 hrs also because he took the appendix as well as the hyst. I remember being awakened from the holding area prior to surgery and rolled in. I remember moving to the operating table. I only remember opening my eyes in recovery and the next thing I knew I was back in my room surrounded by my family. So wild!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register