Hospital Stay | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Hospital Stay Hospital Stay

Unread 04-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Hospital Stay

My doctor said I will probably be in the hospital 3-4 days. How long is the typical stay in the hospital. My other question is will I still be bleeding after the surgery? Im sure I will be bleeding the day of the surgery but will it continue after? Im so affraid of how Im going to feel after. I had my gall bladder out years ago and I dont remember it being to bad but Im still so scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:14 PM
Hospital Stay

I'm not sure I can help, but my doctor told me a week. And get this I just got a letter from my insurance yesterday that said they will only approve 2 days for this operation!

I guess I better get on the phone tomorrow!!!
Unread 04-07-2002, 04:19 PM
Hospital Stay

my doc said 1-3 days depending on how things go - had LAVH
I bled alittle for a few days but had lite to moderate spoting for 5 weeks
But everyone is different in what they have done, how they heal and recover. I went at 5 week check up only to be told not healed enough 2 more weeks no sex , no work, no lifting.
But i feel fine had no real problems .
Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:20 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi!

I had mine 11/29/01 - a Thursday - and was home Saturday - Remember everyone is different and the doctor may have different preferences. I have no children at home and my husband was very pampering (he was soo sweet!) so I got out of the castle as quickly as I could, but not pushing it.

It was no wheres near as bad as I thought it would be - I just needed 2 or 3 tylenol the entire time I was in the hospital. My roommate, tho, had the same surgery an hour before me, and she spent the rest of the day and that night

The waiting is the worst

Yes, you might bleed after the surgery - I think I did (but not much) for about a week or so.

Be sure that you spend a lot of time resting, and napping whenever you want to, and NOT lifting anything. Baby yourself! Pampering is just what you need.

Trust in God, He will see you through this! You'll be fine! Good luck! You'll feel just dandy in a couple months!
Unread 04-07-2002, 04:22 PM
Hospital Stay

my dr. said 2-4 days, more than likely the 2 without any complications. insurance only ok'd 2. i called insurance and they said if i needed to stay longer, hospital would call for authorization. i am having tah tues.
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:13 PM
Hospital Stay

Hi, MJE, my doctor originally told me I'd be in the castle for 3-4 days, but I only stayed 3. I was supposed to stay for only 2, but I asked for another day and I'm glad I did because the day I was supposed to be released I had developed a 102 temp so having that extra day for them to work on that helped out a lot. I was going home to my brother and s-i-l's for 1-1/2 weeks to recover before coming home to four flights of stairs.

As far as the bleeding was concerned, I took some thick pads with me to the castle without thinking that they'd give me some, so don't worry about carrying any extras with you. I only bled the first day for a little bit and after that I only saw some spotting if I tried to bear down while trying to have a BM, which took a minute.

I didn't use much pain medication while in the castle, but I needed it when I first awoke from the anesthesia. After that I was fine and only took two pain pills when I got to my brother's. I actually split one in half 'cause my back was hurting like crazy the first day I got home so I took 1/2 a pill that morning and the other 1/2 that night. I didn't take another one until I went for my post-op the next day to have the staples removed.

Take care and let us know how you're doing when you get home from the castle !!!

Paula
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:30 PM
Hospital Stay

As long as you are not running a fever or having any other complications most hospitals only keep you about 3 days. I was on my period when I had surgery and didnt even need a pad at all while I was there after surgery. My doc told me if I bleed, he would give me my money back! It was like the spiket was cut off and never came back on! Yipee!!
As for the pain, it was very tolerable to me. It wasnt at all what I expected. I was only drugged up the day of my surgery and after that I was on Percoset. I didnt even finish the Rx when I got home.
Dont worry about being scared. Everyone is. The way I looked at it, even if I was in pain for a while, it couldnt be as bad as what I had been enduring for years.
I hope you will also have an easy time and a quick recovery!
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:51 PM
Hospital Stay

Each person is different and their experience will also be. My doctor told me 3-5 days in the hospital. I was there two nights, and begged him (tears helped) to let me go home. I had, and have had, no bleeding since the surgery was performed, and that was truly unexpected.

For your hospital stay, your doctor is your best guide, and you may want to discuss with your doctor or their hospital coordinator what would happen if you had to stay longer than the hospital approved. They have probably handled this many times before and it doesn't always mean you'll end up paying!

BSQ
+
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:29 PM
Hospital Stay

My DR told me 2 nights in the hospital unless there was a medical reason to stay longer. I had my surgery on Tuesday and went home Thursday afternoon. I had a little spotting for a couple of days, none since.

What I felt after surgery was more discomfort than pain. I think the grogginess from the anesthesia and pain meds was worse than any pain I may have had. All I wanted to do was sleep. Took me a couple of weeks to have a clear head.
Unread 04-07-2002, 07:53 PM
Hospital Stay

I went in on wensday moring came home on friday eveing due to a fever or I would have came home on friday moring
I had TVH with repairs
I am not alittle over two weeks and don't have any pain
but I am still spotting a little bit
I just use a pantie liner
hugs ladypeewee

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register