What do you do for pain? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you do for pain? What do you do for pain?

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:44 PM
What do you do for pain?

I still have about 2 more months until my surgery. I am on continuous BCP's, although lately I have been so bad about taking my pills. I have missed several in the last few weeks. I have 1 Vicodin left and no refill. I'm sure my doctor will give me another prescription for it if I call, but I'm wondering what you all do for your pelvic pain? What medications work well for you? If you take the pill continuously, has it worked for you? It has helped my pain a little, but I still get alot of pain, especially if I'm active. I teach ballet and I have 4 kids, so I can't avoid activity. Right now I am having awful cramps, I get the sharpest pains on my sides where my ovaries are and I just get pain that I can't quite describe across my whole pelvic area and in my back. Sound familiar to anyone? Any ideas on how to relieve some of this pain besides taking my vicodin?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 04:54 PM
What do you do for pain?

I will be interested to hear that one as well!
You are describing the pain that I go through while I am on my period and it lingers about half strength when I'm not on my period.
For a while I was just using Aleve and a heating pad and it was okay during the day with mild activity...but by the second day, well I go through a super maxi pad every 45-60 mins with huge clots and pain that brings me to my knees!
Vicodin and keeping my feet elavated are the only things that seem to help and even with taking two of the darn things I still feel everything it's just "dulled"!!
This has been going on for years, and finally I found a GYN that was willing to listen and said that this surgery is definately an option.
Anemia, constant pain, bleeding as heavy and as long as I have been, and living on pain pills is no life!
For me surgery is around the corner. I call on Weds. to see if there have been any cancellations this month they can slide me into, otherwise May 2nd for me!
Sorry I couldn't have been of more help to you but knowing these wonderful Sisters here, I'm sure someone will have something to say that will help!! Also never be afraid to call your doctor and tell him your concerns!!

jdd
Unread 04-07-2002, 05:00 PM
Pain Relief

This is what I have been using for the last few years. I take 4 200 mg of advil/motrin every 8 hours. This is the equivelant of an 800 mg prescription motrin, which I also take for the onset of my migraines. I am currently on Vioxx for the pain, which is an nsaid. It works most of the time, but I will occasionally supplement with the advil/motrin.

You can also take 2 extra strength tylenol a few hours after the motrin/advil. If you are aspirin sensitive or ibuprofen sensitive, then this regimen is not for you. As most of the ladies will tell you, check with your doc first before you try anything like this!!!

Good luck!!

Take care of yourself!!!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register