Question about Radical TAH | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Question about Radical TAH Question about Radical TAH

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:31 PM
Question about Radical TAH

Hello. I just had my cat scan on Friday (no results yet) and I will be scheduled for a radical TAH soon (possibly next week). My doctor mentioned that he uses a horizontal incision instead of the vertical one that I've been reading about. Has anyone had that done? And if so, do you think that the healing time is quicker that way? I had my daughter 2 1/2 years ago but not through a C-section, so I have no idea how similar they are.

I asked my doctor about how long I would be on bed rest and he said "You won't be we want you up and moving around". I would love to hear some opinions from others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:46 PM

Hi Julie and welcome!

A good place to start reading is on our home page...scroll down to the bottom to the Pull Down Menus. You'll find tons of good info there to get you started on your quest for information.

A horizontal (or bikini) cut is extremely common; in fact, it's probably done more often than the vertical these days. It depends on many factors...the position and size of your uterus, the doctor's comfort level and skill, the best area for the best view of what s/he needs to see, etc.

The term "bed rest" is confusing. You will certainly need to rest! However, you won't be confined to your bed. The usual time for recovery, that is, to BEGIN to return to normal activity, is 6 to 8 weeks. During that time, you'll do no bending, stretching, lifting, pulling, pushing, exercising, tub baths or anything in the vagina. You should be up and walking (little walks--down the hospital corridor at first, around your living room, or down the driveway with help) right away. This helps with getting your bowels moving and eliminating gas, and it's helpful for your general wellbeing. You will find yourself on the couch, feet up, for several hours each day, with plenty of napping! But the old fashioned idea of 'bed rest' is no longer something that's ordered.

Keep reading, post all your questions, and we'll all be here to help you get through this!

Karen
Unread 04-08-2002, 05:34 AM

Hi,

I had a TAH almost 6 weeks ago. I only had one week to prepare for the surgery. I had an easy recovery! I was admitted on Wed. morning for surgery, I sat in a chair Wed. night, had my catheter taken out Thursday morning and started walking. I drank water, cranberry juice and had very little gas pains and was eating normal food for lunch. I was released on Friday morning.

I have had c-sections and the actual recovery time was shorter for me than with the kiddos. I got more sleep once I was home, I wasn't caring for the baby. This is just my opinion...I'm in the minority on this too.

Take care of yourself and follow your doctors orders to the letter...you will have an easy recovery too!

Good luck!

Sara
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 09:24 AM

Hi Julie,

I am Day 6 post op from a radical hysterectomy. I am extremely fatigued, but knew to expect this from these wonderful women here!

I've settled into a routine here at home. In the morning, I wake up usual time (7:00 a.m. or so) and get up and brush teeth, wash face to feel human! I am still taking Percocet in the morning, since I have more pain at that time. I get up, get water, coffee and my husband gets breakfast. I eat in the recliner chair in the living room. Read the newspaper, get up and walk. Today I even shaved my legs! Had company, talked. Came downstairs to the computer and am feeling tired, so will go upstairs and rest in the recliner again! By 6:00 p.m. I am really tired and I usually go to bed then and asleep by 10:00 p.m., but stay out of the bedroom during the day. So, I'm up walking every hour for a little while before I sit again.

Oh yeah, I have a vertical incision...about four inches long, and my abdominal muscles are coming back pretty well...sore by end of the day...but I'm still early recovery stage!

Anyway, pillow police is frowning...must go!
Unread 04-08-2002, 12:37 PM
Horizontal incision

JulieB,

You're lucky. I just had a SAH, for extremely enlarged uterus and fibroids. I had to go to several doctors to find one who was willing to attempt a horizontal. Friends had told me that it would result in less pain and quicker recovery time. There was a poll on this website that seemed to indicate that also.

Most doctors thought that it wouldn't be possible to safely remove such a large uterus and fibroids without the vertical cut. But I got lucky and my surgeon was willing to do some extra work to remove it with a small bikini-line incision, that would never show in the tiniest of bikinis. Yay! In my case, it apparently resulted in more blood loss than the other way might have, but I can't complain. I was off pain pills after 5 or 6 days and was getting around the house pretty well after that too. It seems like that was faster than many others, but everyone is different.

Good luck to you and if you check out the advice from these forums you will be very well prepared.

Meet your fellow Texans at the Texas sisters forum.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register