No pain now, but what is to come? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

No pain now, but what is to come? No pain now, but what is to come?

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:39 PM
No pain now, but what is to come?

I keep reading so many posts about women being in such pain prior to surgery, but, I have surely been lucky, had no pain, & no real physical problems until I had 1 lengthy & heavy period, which lead to the finding of the numerous & large fibroids, the complex hyperplasia, & the atypical cells. So, I'm very worried that I feel good now & will feel so bad when I wake up from the surgery that it will really set me back. I'm a big girl & they say therefore my abdomen will really be sore. I'm not a wimp, but I don't want to feel bad!

On the flip side, I'm a very active person, & I'm afraid if I feel good I'll overdo & hurt myself (today, as I did laundry, I was wondering if I'll be home by this time next week & can do laundry -- & my surgery is Friday, & my bedroom is upstairs, will I be able to get up & down them to get to bed? I will stay off my stationery bike for a while, I promise!)

Any words of support or comfort here? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:54 PM
No pain now, but what is to come?

Pain management is a very big thing in hospitals today. From the moment you wake up, people will be asking you to rate your pain, if you hurt, how you feel...etc. Discuss your pain management with your doctor at your pre-op appt. and see what s/he recommends...a PCA pump with morphine or demerol, epidural, narcotics like percoset; you'll make a plan.

I can honestly say that my pain was not bad! When I woke up, I had a strong burning feeling...maybe a 6 on a 1-10 scale. I got a shot of Toredol, which knocked it down to a 2...it never went over that! I had the pump til the next morning, and went to 800mgs of Motrin every four hours for the next few weeks.

Everyone is different, so we can't really compare "pain", but if you take your meds on schedule to keep ahead of it, you should not be in pain.

As for activity....you get one chance to heal properly. Please don't rush into any activity that could jeopardize your recovery with long term complications. If you are afraid of being bored (which you probably WON'T be), stock up on some projects you can do while resting. There's nothing more dangerous than overdoing it during recovery. This is MAJOR surgery, so please be gentle with yourself and follow your doctor's orders to a T and let your body heal. We'll be here to help in any way we can!!

Hugs,

Karen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register