what about my age?? only 25 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

what about my age?? only 25 what about my age?? only 25

Unread 04-07-2002, 05:57 PM
what about my age?? only 25

Hello all!

This is my first time here and I was really hoping to find others my age with something to say about hysterectomy.. I am scheduled for April 10th for a LAVH, my doctor is going to take everything... uterus, cervix, ovaries. (sorry i don't know the terminology)

I have been suffering from endo for years and have been to numerous doctors, tried hormomes, pain mngmt., etc and both my reg. physician and my gyn think this is the best thing... and even though my surgery is only 3 days away i just hope this is the right choice.

Is there anyone out there that has some advice to give?? I am pretty scared.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 06:05 PM
You are not alone

Hi Mariesa.

First of all let me say Welcome to Hystersisters!! This site has been a blessing to me both pre op and post op.

Being nervos is normal! This is a big step in your life. Although I did not have endo, I can relate to living in pain for a long time. Myself, I could not live with the pain I was in anymore, so hysterectomy was the best option for me and I do not regret it for a moment!

Remember to ask your doctor any questions you may have before surgery, that way you will be informed as to what is going to take place.

Again I'm so glad you've found this site! Hope your surgery goes well and remember you'll be a Princess soon!

Hugs and blessing,

Laurie
Unread 04-07-2002, 06:21 PM

Welcome....I am a "bit" older--31, but I am very excited about my upcoming surgery. I do not have endo (that they could see in my lap), but I do have adenomyosis (endo inside the uterus). I have lived with the pain long enough. You did not say if you had any children? I guess that would be a big factor! I have just one son and two step daughters and I do not want anymore, so the decision was an easy one for me. I am also having a LAVH/BSO (both ovaries removed) and am looking forward to a pain free life! I would definately talk to your doctor about any concerns you may have...this is a big desicion!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 06:53 PM

Hi Laurie,

I am 29 years old and I am scheduled to have a LAVH/BSO on April 15th. I too am scared. I have 3 children and my husband had a vacsectomy a year ago so we know that we are done with having babies. I have something called poly cystic ovarian syndrome. I bleed on 2 weeks and off 1 week then it repeats all over again. I have alot of pelvic pain and sex is just about out of the question it just hurts so much. I am afraid of how I will feel after the surgery as far as sexual desire is concerned and also about the HRT that I take and just hope that it will work for me. I am here for you if I can help. You have found a great website. I don't know what I would have done without it. I go for my pre-op appointment on thursday so I hope to get all the details then. It is a hard decision to make and we can never know 100% if we are doing the right thing but in the end it all works out. I know it is hard but try not to worry so much. I guess I should take my own advice.

Lisa
Unread 04-07-2002, 09:03 PM

I'm sorry that you're faced with this at your age. You must have suffered a lot for both of your doctors to be encouraging you to make this decision. We were all scared going in, even though it was a logical choice to improve the quality of our lives, so your hyster sisters understand your fears.

You don't mention children. I'm 42 and have never had children. Even though I had long since accepted that kids were not part of God's will for my life, the hysterectomy was not a decision I made lightly. But it came down to my health, and being free of pain and other problems associated with my particular symptoms. It's been less than 2 weeks, and already I feel better.

Each of us has had to make the best decision we can based on our own health issues, because that's what this is about. Let God take care of the rest! He's big enough to handle it.

You'll be in my prayers.
Unread 04-07-2002, 09:25 PM

Thank you all so much for your feedback!

I neglected to say that I do have 2 boys (3 and 4), and my husband also had a vasectomy last year so I am not worried about the child issue. Although I am scared, I do believe that this is the best course of treatment as I feel I have exausted the alternatives. I have to admit that I am looking forward to a new life that I can enjoy without pain...

I have never had surgery before, and although I have few fears regarding the actual proceedure, I do have concerns regarding the recovery... especially since I have small children that I have to care for often times all by myself for days at a time (my husband is a fireman). I also have no family in town. After reading several books on the matter I was left feeling like this might end up being a very negative experience. Worried about pain, hormones, length of recovery etc..

I really appreciate hearing from real life people who can relate. It is a great source of comfort to know that I am not alone.

Thanks, Mariesa
Unread 04-08-2002, 12:00 AM

Hi sweetie! I too am 25 years old (almost 26!!) and am scheduled for a tah/bso with birch procedure on the 22nd of April! I don't know about you, but I am both thankful and scared (if that makes any sense) about my surgery. Being so young also present different choices about hrt, etc and the problems that can be caused by "early" hysters ... or so my dr tells me. Are you leaving your ovaries? That will help a lot, or so I am told. I unfortunately can't, but I have been researching and there are a lot of "pros" of having a hyster. The ladies here have been wonderful, and I hope that all goes well. Go into the chat - you will really glean a lot of information and support! Wish you the best - Carey
Unread 04-08-2002, 03:10 AM
im 23,

hello mariesa
Unread 04-08-2002, 03:19 AM
im 23,

hello mariesa,

i know what u are going through, i had a tah in oct 2001 after being diagnosed with cervical cancer stage 1b...i acually had my surgery in america although im from england (long story but basically i was on holiday, u guys say 'vacation' in new mexico and started to bleed uncontrollably)....

my hyst went well, i honestly thought i was gonna die and having cancer as well was awful,,,but i pulled through, and i just came back from the states 3 weeks ago having had my 6 month post op check up, and im doin well....

just try and keep smiling and be brave, use the pain meds, i used morphin and the percocet and went home with my catheter for 10 days (the catheter did not hurt at all when they removed it-and im a real wimp!!)

6 months on and i feel 'normal'..i run 2 miles a day and have a very active lifestyle....i havent managed to go back to work yet because i still have alot of emotional issues that im trying to cope with (cancer @ 23 etc etc)..but in july im going away, ive bought myself a round the world plane ticket and im gonna go...i still have to have check ups every 3 months and il fit them in,,,im not gonna let cancer be my identity or rule my life.

you only live once !!

dance like no-ones watching

mellissa xx

p.s if ya wanna email me .... mellissacrowley@aol.com
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:09 AM
mariesa

I am 35 now and having a tah/bso on April 23rd. I started having trouble at your age, but have spent the last 10 years on different medications, laps all the time to drain cysts from my ovaries. All I ever heard was I was too young. Let me tell you I have not lived life to it's fullest the past 10 years. I am looking forward to making up the time. The waiting is tough but the outcome will be worth it.

Hang in there.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register