Can fibroids be undiagnosed? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Can fibroids be undiagnosed? Can fibroids be undiagnosed?

Unread 04-07-2002, 08:28 PM
Can fibroids be undiagnosed?

I have questions about Fibroids.

I am scheduled for a TAH with repairs for rectocele and cystocele. Since I have had problems with bladder leakage for years, I never suspected that some of the leakage could be due to fibroids. But, after reading several of the posts, I have some questions.

Some of the leakage is a brownish rusty looking stain on my under pants. Many times when it is not time for my period ( my periods are regular & normal ), I will feel the leakage and it will be that "old blood" looking color. Could this be due to fibroids? Both of my doctors have done physical exams of course, but neither I nor my doctors have ever mentioned fibroids. The urologist has done several tests. But neither one has done an ultrasound. It really is not an issue since I am already scheduled for surgery. I am just curious to know if fibroids are ever "discovered" during the surgery.

Rayna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:19 PM
Hi Rayna

I don't know what might be causing the odd leakage you mentioned. I had a fibroid and did not have that type of symptom, so I have no insight for you.
I think it would be possible to miss a small fibroid or cyst without an ultrasound. My ultrasound turned up 3 cysts which I did not know were there (all benign).
You didn't mention if you had told your doctor about the discharge. Just in case you hadn't done so yet it would be a good idea. That would give him time to do an ultrasound before surgery if he feels it is necessary.
Good luck.
Unread 04-08-2002, 01:54 AM
Fibroid

I had my Hyster on March 18th - going into 4th week of recovery. Also had Bladder tac and rectal repair. I had a fibroid mass that was supposed to be about the size of a small orange - found by ultrasound - but to our surprise - it was the size of a small bowling ball (as my doc described it). So I think that fibroids can be missed - or not truly seen by ultrasound because it was a shock to all of us.

Some words of encouragement - you will get through this - get some cofortable soft clothes for home (cotton pajama bottom with tanks). My sister got me some matching pieces - with a short cotton robe that matched. I can wear if someone comes over - very nice. I would not recommend polyester - I have gone from freezing to burning up - and polyester just adds fuel to the fire. Be sure - drink water every day - do not miss this - and a stool softener twice a day. I did not do this one day last week - didn't drink enough water and forgot my stool softener - and boy did I pay for it. Don't miss a day. My bottom has been the biggest challenge - and when I have become constipated it has made it pretty difficult. Hopefully you will remember this and be religious about the daily routine.

Well - best wishes to you. Good luck - let me know how you are doing.

Helen

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register