Pre-Op Appt./Diabetes - Discouraged! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Pre-Op Appt./Diabetes - Discouraged! Pre-Op Appt./Diabetes - Discouraged!

Unread 04-07-2002, 09:12 PM
Pre-Op Appt./Diabetes - Discouraged!

Hi All,

I am fairly new to this site and have not seen this topic yet and was wondering if anyone else has anything similar to share.

First of all, went to my Pre-Op appt. this past Friday (4/5) and the Doctor answered all my questions and was very patient. Talked over all the different types of procedures and alternatives. Basically we discussed EVERYTHING!!! After the Doctor's office, I was off to go for my Pre-Op lab work. They did the usual blood, urine and the Nurse talked with me about the procedure and what to expect, bring, and how to prepare.

Now, I am Diabetic and when I asked my Dr. about how surgery will affect it (or vice versa) and he acted surprised - like I had never told him about my Diabetes and as if it were the first time he was hearing it. I remember telling him about it my first visit after being diagnosed. In any event, he added to my lab work orders to have my glucose levels checked. Needless to say, on my way home from both visits, the cell phone starts to ring and I recognize that it's the Dr.'s office. It's the Medical Assistant letting me know that the lab called them regarding my blood sugar level and that the Dr. wanted to talk to me. Dr. gets on the phone and tells me that my blood sugar was 260 and started asking 'tons' of question. (i.e., have I been checking it lately, what is my usual average, etc.). Then he proceeds to tell me that if I don't bring it down to normal range - I will have to postpone surgery (scheduled for 4/9). Now, I am completely frustrated, this will be the 2nd time it will have been postponed. (first time was due to the flu bug) Basically, Dr. was VERY annoyed with me and told me to call him Monday 4/8 to let him know where I was at with my blood sugar level.

Obviously, I have been doing EVERYTHING possible to bring it down on my own. From exercise, water (lots of), Hydrotherapy, NO CARBOHYDRATES!, etc. It is moving every so slowly downward (goal is 120 or less) and I don't know what to do. Has anyone else run into this situation? One would think that Insulin shots would bring it down rapidly. Now, I know that surgery will elevate my blood sugar level (due to stress on the body), but this cannot possibly be that uncommon.

Sorry to write such a long winded message, but I needed to vent and am desparate for advice or 'hints' on how to correct this before calling the Dr.'s office tomorrow afternoon.

Thanks so much to all for allowing me to vent.

Noël
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-07-2002, 10:51 PM
Hi Noel

Welcome to HysterSisters.

I don't have any information on this. Perhaps someone will come along who does. You can also do a search using the purple search button in the upper right corner of this page.

Your doctor should know what medication you are on. But I just wanted to mention it in case this surgeon is not your regular doctor. I know certain medications can elevate the blood sugar even when we are doing the right things.

Please let us know how it goes.

Take Care.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register