Bath Restrictions Post Op | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Bath Restrictions Post Op Bath Restrictions Post Op

Unread 04-08-2002, 04:22 AM
Bath Restrictions Post Op

I thought of a very logical reason why baths might be a restriction after surgery, a reason that has nothing to do with keeping the incision (or anything else) dry. Getting out up an out of the tub would be very hard on the abdomen. Think about the effort to get out of a chair for the first couple of weeks: you need a tummy pillow, and you're supposed to let your arms do the work, not the abdominal muscles. Plus the bath tub is slippery. Falling while trying to stand would be bad. I was nervous just stepping in and out to take a shower. It makes sense that a bath should be avoided for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 04:43 AM

Yes, very true!

Also, the biggest problem I had post-op was that I felt a bit dizzy/ faint every time I got out of bed. Because of this, I didn't have a shower until the 4th day (was probably getting very smelly!) and even then ended up feeling faint! I ended up slumping on a chair and being taken back to my bed by wheelchair! So the danger of fainting could be another reason not to have a bath.

I did read though that another reason is that bath water can enter the vagina and sometimes cause infection around the internal stitches.

Unread 04-08-2002, 05:49 AM

I was given the ok when I left hospital by my Dr to bath. He said as long as I dried my incision (no staples) each time no problem. I showered for a few days and then finally took a bath with my DH nearby of course. I laid a wet towel up the back of the bath so I wouldn't slip and also along the side of the bath using my arms to take my weight getting in and out. I am now 5 weeks post-op and still alternate between showering (to wash my hair) and bathing. By the way, I dry my incision with a hair dryer on low heat!!!

Best wishes to all the LIW and recovering and most of all thank you to everyone for their contributions to this marvellous site, I rarely post because the answer to my questions is always here

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register