surgery date..........nervous!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

surgery date..........nervous!!! surgery date..........nervous!!!

Unread 04-08-2002, 06:55 AM
surgery date..........nervous!!!

Well I have my date of my surgery. It is April 16 and I am getting a little nervous. I am so glad I have this site to help me prepare for this operation. I am having only my uterus removed and reconstr. of bladder and bowel. The dr is doing it vaginally, so I am hopeing my recovery time wll be lessened since I am not being cut in abdomen. Any advice would be great.
thanks

hugs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 08:53 AM
Hi Nancy

Here's a big I know the nerves can get going as the date gets closer. From what I have read it does seem that the vaginal surgery provides for a quicker recovery for most. I had the abdominal with the bikini cut and have also been very pleased with my recovery rate.
I am sure some more women will be along that can speak to their recoveries with the vaginal. You can also do a search using the purple search button on the upper right corner of this page. Perhaps type in TVH, you should get alot of earlier posts to read through.
We are here for you. Keep reading and posting. You are are going to do just fine.
Unread 04-08-2002, 08:58 AM

Do NOT lift anything. At first nothing more than a gallon of milk. Lifting or over doing will set your recovery back and can cause scar tissue that will bother you for a long time.
REST REST Before surgery I collected from family and around the house movies I liked and then every afternoon for the first two weeks post-op I would lie down and if I did not sleep I would watch a movie.
Walking is great to get the bowels moving and get the drugs out. Walk alittle at atime and increase as you feel up to it.
Check out the scroll down menu for excercises to do - I found them very helpful.
Ask your doc about stool softners in hosp and home. My doc started me on them the night of my surgery with 2 tablespoons of mineral oil(YUCK) to help my first bm slid out then just stool softners to help my bowels keep moving easily .
always remember this is major surgery take care of yourself now so you don`t pay for it later.
God bless and keep you Paula
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:00 AM
I'm with you

I'm with you all the way. I'm a brand new member to the site and my surgery date is 4/29. I'm happy (hopefully an end to all this pain and suffering), but I'm also scared to death - I've never had surgery before. Mine will be a total so the overary girls are going too. But I just wanted to say hi, and let you know I'm just as scared as you are!! Dawn
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:12 AM

Hi Nancy:

My surgery is 04/16/02 also and I am just a little bit nervous but its only natural to be. When I think about all the pain that I have been in, I'm ready. I know we will be fine, just trust in the Lord and he will surely bring you out. If you want to e-mail, please do so at teepee@bcinet.net and maybe we can keep in touch for support and that goes for anyone else as well.

Take care and God Bless
Teresa
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:13 AM

Hi nan
My surgery is a bit farther than yours May 1st. But I am having the SAME procedures done . Just curious---did you doc say anything about how long you would have a cath. in after the baldder repair? Mine said 4-5 days --meaning coming home with it. NOT FUN! Are you have general or a spinal??????
I go today at 4pm to discuss all the things we might have missed.
Good luck and hang in there. I found that reading these post eveyday and going in the chat room has helped sooooooooo much.
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:36 AM

Hi Nancy,

Don't feel alone, my surgery is Monday, the 15th and I am going nuts also. My poor mother is getting a mouthful every few minutes. I am so nervous!

This site has been a God-send for me, I read, read and read. I can't wait to get back on the computer if I've been off for a while to see the new posts and read all the helpful hints.

I know we will make it through it, it's just getting to the other side.

I'm thinking about you!
Unread 04-09-2002, 12:41 AM

First of all, big s to all you LIWs, and congratulations for finding the greatest site on the Web!

I am 19 days post and so far, so good. BUT, I have overdone it more than once since I got home from the castle. I am here alone with my daughter, and although she has tried to be very helpful, I still found myself doing things I knew I shouldn't be doing, just because I felt okay at the moment. Don't make that mistake, sisters! Believe you me, your body will let you know it is not happy that you were a bad princess. I am still having quite a bit of discomfort (not as much real pain), and I'm sure I invited it by not behaving. Oh well, live and learn...

As far as those pre-op nerves go, oh how I feel for you. I was such a basket case during the two months I had to wait to have my surgery that I thought it would be better if my doctor would commit me to a psych ward till my castle date!! No kidding. I had two modes only, crying and yelling. My poor daughter and three cats all ran in the other direction when they saw me coming. It's absolutely true what they say around here, the waiting is the hardest part. My mood and general demeanor have improved considerably since I finally had my surgery.

Just remember to ask your doctors lots of questions about anything and everything that concerns you, and keep asking till you get the answers you want and need. And keep posting here, you will get a lot of insight from those of us who are already on the other side.

Sending all of you warm thoughts and wishes for a smooth surgery and a speedy, trouble-free recovery. Hey, no periods ever again, how great is THAT???

Unread 04-09-2002, 01:22 AM
Hi sisters !!! Cypress we're the SAME day!!!

Oh the wait !!!!!! It is the very worst part !
I just went over to the post-op board and read it was inspiring !
I've been so caught up in Pre-op I didn't even think about that.....Duhhhhhh
My surgery is the 15th and seems to be NOT soon enough !!!
I really can't wait to be an offical Princess and have this behind me and be able to be less stressed !
I just wrote a page of questions to ask for my pre- op visit....
I did it here on the computer and printed it out....
here's some of my questions:

Can you give me something for bladder infection ahead of time ? Since sometimes the cather< sp? causes an infection......

and for yeast infection because I get them from anitbiotics....

Can I shave myself before surgery and how much?

Do you prescribe a sleeping medication?

How long before I can take a bath ?

Will I be on an antibiotic for the surgery or not?

Will surgery resolve leakage when I sneeze or do you do a bladder tack during the surgery?

I usually get infected stiches if they're dissolvable can you use a different type on the most outter part of the incision???
(one infected after the 18th laproscopy and I pulled it out and applied peroxide and neosporin)< sp? he said I did the right thing....it was about 1/2 inch long..... Can't exactly do that on Vaginal stiches........

So there's my quirky list.....

s all you night owls !!!
Deborah
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:03 AM
My surgery is April 16th too!

Hi,

nan1044 my surgery date is the same as yours. Yes, I am nervous and excited at the same time. The support that the ladies on this site give is incredible. No one else seems to understand what I am going thru. My emotions have been up and down, I feel like I am on a rollercoaster ride! All will be well soon enough for us. Our surgeries are less than a week now! Hang in there, and keep posting, it really does help.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register