new to board | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-08-2002, 07:30 AM
new to board

Hi all. I've been reading your posts and I really could use some support. I'm 41 and have been suffering from all kinds of female problems since age 13. I've tried everything, including a uterine ablation that caused a uterine tear,intestinal perforation,peritonitis and then major surgery to correct the problem. I've finally decided to to an TAH,BSO. Cervix is to remain. I feel comfortable with my decision and as a RN know what I'm in for post op. The problem is I am terrified of not knowing what to expect from surgical menopause. My doc (female) says she'll start with the patch for HRT. What do I have to look foward to girls. I need relief not more problems. Let me go into this with eyes wide open. Appreciate Suggestions. Surgery is April 26th. Thanks!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 08:45 AM
new to board

check out the hormone jungle board for some help also the scroll down menu .
You also might want to search for old posts on the subject for help.
You might have no problems at all -your doctor might hit the right mix for you right away. Will he start you on a patch or something in the recovery room?
HANG IN THERE GOD BLESS
Paula
Unread 04-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Hi Joanne

Welcome to HysterSisters. We are so glad you have found us and decided to post.
Just as we all respond differently to surgery and recovery we also respond differently to HRT. Some women need HRT right away and others can wait awhile using up stored estrogen in the body.
I waited 5 weeks to start HRT and am using the Vivelle Dot. It seems to be working pretty well so far. This is just my 2nd week on on it. I may add some progesterone later. But it is important to add one thing at a time to be sure what works and what doesn't.
Some women are very fortunate in that the first HRT they try works well and others have to make adjustments. We all wish it was one stop shopping for all of us. That would make it easier.
However, the next best thing is the Hormone Jungle. There you will find wonderful pull down menu's with articles, information and another place to ask specific questions. Here's the link.
http://www.hormonejungle.com/
Good luck to you. And remember we are here as you move through this entire process.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 09:28 AM
new to board

Hi!!!!!!! I too am a R.N. I had a TAH 3/28 I kept my ovaries!!!It is hard to be a patient!!!!!!!!!!!!I will say this. This sight is a blessing!!!!!!!!!The info and the people.As you know everyone responds differently. I thought the pain post op. was not bad at all but then again I have a very high tolerence for pain.!!!!!If you work at a hospital you could always go to the medical library there. Also there is a web site for the NIH that is very helpful(sorry I don't have it handy it is in my favorites section of my computor)I really think reading about peoples experiences here will really help the most. Well take care good luck!!!!!!!Angela
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:34 AM
Welcome!

Hi, Joanne! Welcome from me, too! Sounds like you've been through a lot with your uterus and complications from that ablation. Hopefully this surgery will be much easier for you, though you know the initial recovery is 6-8 weeks and healing continues even 6-12 months later. As for surgical menopause, I never noticed any symptoms, since I started Premarin 2 days after my hyst. My ovaries had been "shutting down" and probably were barely giving me any estrogen, so I really noticed the effects of the Premarin! I switched to Estrace after 6 weeks, and that is working great for me. It is common for younger women to need more estrogen than older women (because their bodies are used to a higher level), though it varies with different women. Most docs prescribe estrogen alone, but some give progesterone and testosterone in addition, if the patient needs something more. Feel free to post questions here or on the Hormone Jungle board, and we'll try to answer them. s and best wishes!
Ruthie

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register