will someone explain catheta, please | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

will someone explain catheta, please will someone explain catheta, please

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:30 AM
will someone explain catheta, please

hello girls
please don't think i am totally dense, but would someone tell me EXACTLY what is entailed when having a cath, does everyone, and the big question is does it hurt,
love to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 10:43 AM

Hi, Suki1066,

As far as I know, all women who have a hysterectomy have a urinary catheter, often for less than 24 hours, but sometimes longer. My catheter was placed after I was "under" anesthesia, so I don't remember having it put in, and it didn't hurt. I had a TVH/BSO.

After my surgery, I could feel the catheter, and it was a bit uncomfortable, but not bad. When I got up to walk, I had to carry the collection bag for the catheter. During the middle of the night, after my surgery, I asked my nurse to remove it, and she did. I was able to urinate immediately afterward, and that was the end of my catheter experience.

I hope this helps.

Helen
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:51 AM

Hi, Jane! A catheter is a thin rubber (or soft plastic) tube that is inserted into the bladder to keep it empty during surgery and for that first day after surgery. Urine runs down the tube into a bag that hangs on the side of the bed, and the nurses measure it to make sure your kidneys are working well. Usually putting in the catheter is not painful, though you feel pressure from it going in. In many hospitals, the catheter is not inserted until you are asleep in the operating room. So you may not even know it is in until you wake up after surgery. I've had 5 catheters (also called Foleys) and didn't have any pain with any of them. If you have extensive bladder repairs or complications, you may be sent home with the catheter still in place, until the tissues are more healed. I think a catheter is less bothersome than an IV (though my husband would disagree, since it's different for a man!) s
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 11:01 AM
catheter

I had a Foley Catheter put in while I was under anesthesia. It is a balloon catheter. I didn't feel anything, until they took it out (after 24 hours). I just had to bear down, while they pulled. It wasn't a big deal.

Marsha
Unread 04-08-2002, 07:39 PM

Thanks for asking that question! It's amazing that we all think of the same questions.. While we're on the subject of odd questions, what about this 'packing' that I hear about? Do they do that in all cases? I think I'm just as worried that all the 'little' nuisances will add up to be just as uncomfortable as the surgery itself. Catherters, vaginal packing, gas and bm's... YUCK!!!
Unread 04-08-2002, 09:17 PM
my catherter was taken out on march 25th

I had both the cath. and the packing
ok my doctor took out the packing it's just gaze that is put in to your vingia to help stop the bleeding and it does not hurt when it is taken out it just feels like having a tampo removed anyway that was what it felt like to me

I had a TVH with repairs to my bladder and I had the foley catheter put in while I was asleep
which was on the 20th they took it out on the 22nd and put it back in on the 22nd which by the way it didn' t hurt coming out or going back in then on the 26th I took it out by instruction of my doctor and it didn't hurt when I took it out eather it can be uncomfortable while it is in but it don't hurt
as a mather of fact I even forgot that I had it a couple of times I got up to go for a walk and the bag was hanging on the side of my bed and I took off walking and got to the end of my rope so to speak of and the pulling between my legs let me know real quick that I was not alone but even that didn't hurt
I hope this helps
Unread 04-08-2002, 09:44 PM

Hi Jane,

I asked my doc at preop if I'd have a catheter and he said yes because I probably wouldn't feel like getting up and walking to the bathroom the day of surgery, but that it would be removed the next day.

I also asked about the vaginal packing and he said that usually only those having bladder repairs have the packing.

Hope this helps!
Unread 04-08-2002, 11:05 PM

Suki,

Just had to tell you about my catheter experience. They put mine in once I was under. When I was back in my room the nurse made sure to inform me of it so I wouldn't pull at the tube unknowingly. A couple of hours later when the nurse came in, I told her that I didn't think the catheder was working right. I told her that I had to go (my bladder felt pressure like it was full), but that I wasn't able to release my bladder muscles. She then told me,"Honey, it's working fine & I've already emptied twice!"
Unread 04-08-2002, 11:54 PM

Not everyone has a cath, depends on your doc and how your hyster is done, since I'm have a LSH, I will only have it will I'm asleep, so it hardly counts. But I have had one before, I wouldn't worry. it's not a big deal/

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register