Preop Appt Done, Have question | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Preop Appt Done, Have question Preop Appt Done, Have question

Unread 04-08-2002, 12:58 PM
Preop Appt Done, Have question

Hi,

Well, the preop went well. My EKG was good so I am set for tomorrow.

I didn't get to speak to the anaesthesiologist. I thought I was to have a general, now I don't know. They said spinal because of my sleep apnea. They said something about an epidural or a spinal block. Someone told me spinal blocks are nasty, that you can have adverse reactions. What's the difference? Please help.

My surgery is 12:30. i have to be there 11:00. Need to go have some lunch now. Only clear liquids 6-12 and then nothing. Also, I get to have the nasty Fleets enema, but at least its not that really nasty drink .

I am really excited, cause I have made it up to now with only a few episodes of panic, nerves, etc. I owe it all to you sisters!!!!
Thanks so much!!

God Bless to all the LIW.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 01:18 PM

Hi Sharon,

I can't help with your question as I have not yet been for my pre-op appt but just wanted to wish you the best of luck on your surgery.

Lisa
Unread 04-08-2002, 01:22 PM

Hi Sharon,

The spinal numbs you more than an epidural does. It's not as bad these days as it once was. As with anything, there's always a chance of an adverse reaction, but the anestheologist will watch you closely.

You will be in my thoughts & ers as you head off to the castle tomorrow. I wish for you an uneventful surgery and a speedy recovery. When you feel up to sitting at the computer, come back and give us an update.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 01:27 PM
good luck

Sharon Im new here but i wanted to wish you luck tomorrow and a speedy recovery.
Unread 04-08-2002, 02:15 PM
good luck

I will be thinking of you tomorrow. Let us know how it goes! I had an epidural with c-section 17 yrs. ago. No problems at all. I am planning on having general anesthesia with an epidural for pain relief after surgery. Do you think that is what they meant possibly? Either way you will be fine. You are in my ers!
Sending lots of s
Unread 04-08-2002, 02:25 PM

Hi, Sharina,

I had my hyst under spinal anesthesia with sedation. I've had problems with general anesthesia in the past. For me, this was the best surgical experience ever.

In the pre-op waiting area, a nurse started my IV, and I signed papers, etc. My surgeon and the anesthesiologist came in, asked if I had questions, and the anesthesiologist put "something to help me relax" into my IV.

Then I woke up in the recovery room. My surgery was all done. My legs were numb from the knee down, and I itched. My nurse gave me something to stop the itching. By the time they moved me to my room, I was ready to walk. I had no headache, no nausea and no "drugged" feeling. I had a backache, but many women do, after a hysterectomy.

The medical profession had made big advances in all types of anesthesia, in the last five or ten years. You'll probably do fine with whatever anesthesia you have.

Best wishes,
Helen
Unread 04-08-2002, 07:48 PM

Thanks so much for all your responses. Your help and prayers mean so much to me! I still don't have my computer up and running yet but hope it will be done by the time I get home from the castle.

Thank you all so very much and my ers are with each of you.

's and ers for all of you.

See ya on the other side!!
Unread 04-08-2002, 09:10 PM

Sharon:
God Bless You on your surgery and remember that God will see you through this. I will be praying for you tomorrow as well as any other sisters on this website who are also facing their surgery. Have faith and all else will fall right into place. Take care and I look for to seeing you post soon.

Teresa
Unread 04-08-2002, 09:19 PM
Surgery Day has arrived!

Sharon,

I will pray for you and all the others that are having surgery tomorrow as we all go through this.

Mine in tomorrow also and I am calmer than I thought I would be. Bag is packed and I just hope I sleep okay tonight.

Take Care - God Bless!

Noel

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register