Excessive Bleeding | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Excessive Bleeding Excessive Bleeding

Unread 04-08-2002, 01:49 PM
Excessive Bleeding

Hello, I am 48 years old and I am having irregular periods. I've been going for 15 days this time. It started off very light then all of a sudden, it got very heavy. I don't have hardly any cramps just alot of bleeding. My doctor put me on this stuff that was supposed to regulate them but that didn't help. sometimes they last 3 -4 days and then sometimes they go for 9 plus days. It's very frustrating for me and my husband. Does anyone else have this problem. Please help. I need some info and the doc doesn't seem to know what the deal is.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 02:20 PM
You are in the right place!!!

You have what so many of us are suffering from. I skipped my period from mid-Oct. to end of Dec. and have been bleeding off and on since. At times it has been very heavy. And not really pain but a heaviness. Had d&c with hysterscopy last week. my uterus is size of 12-14 wk. pregnancy. dr. felt fibroids. scheduled for hysterectomy on 5/14. i am very anemic from all the bleeding. that is the bad part of all this. i feel terrible. good luck to you.
Unread 04-08-2002, 10:53 PM
HI Deb

Has your doctor performed any tests to determine what might be causing the problem such as an ultrasound, endometrial biopsy, another pap, etc.? Has he mentioned fibroid's or anything like that?
Giving you med's without looking for the source of the problem makes me a little nervous.
Please call your doctor (if tests have not been done or ordered) or seek a 2nd or 3rd opinion. Unexplained bleeding should not be taken lightly.
Also as KTR mentioned anemia is not fun and you can get there quicker than you realize. Please have that checked also and have your doctor recommend an effective dose of Iron for you if necessary.
Keep us posted, okay.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 11:03 PM
Excessive Bleeding

I agree wholeheartedly with Shelley!

In my case, doctors attempted to control my bleeding with medication for many months without attempting to determine the cause. They were unsuccessful, though, and my long heavy periods continued. By the time they were ready to schedule an ultrasound (and subsequent D&C and hysteroscopy) to find out the cause, I was quite anemic and I wound up on a dose of 600 mg. of iron per day for six months.

Do you know what's next on the doctor's agenda for your treatment?
Unread 04-08-2002, 11:27 PM
I had a D&C for that several years ago...

I just had a D&C and Laproscopy the 18th of March to control the heavy periods....and what my Dr. discovered during the D&C was that I had Complex Hyperplasia and a Fibroid tumor growing....so needless to say a Hysterectomy is coming up next Monday. But, sometimes as with me in the past a D&C helped soooo much to relieve me of the heavy flow.... Please don't overlook the heavy bleeding and irregular periods tho just keep on searching for the cause.....Hope this helps take care and God Bless .
Deborah
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:10 AM
Excessive Bleeding

Hey Shelley,

Thanks for the info. I've only been in once to see the doctor cause this is pretty recent. I'm going to today for another checkup. I believe he did do a biopsy the first time i went in to see him. He did a pap and something else (that kinda hurt). So, now since the med he gave me didn't help, we're taking the next step. I've had a couple of women here at work tell me about getting a hysterectomy because of the bleeding they had. I'm thinking this might be the case with me too. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register