Migraines | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-08-2002, 01:54 PM
Migraines

Okay. I have my surgical date. But I have one question: Does anybody think that my migraines will at least subside a little after this is done???? I am soooo sick of my head hurting!

Joann
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 02:07 PM
So far...

I am almost 3 weeks post op and have suffered with tension-related and period-related migraines for years. KNOCK ON WOOD...I have not had headache one with the exception of the hospital. It was just a sore head mainly. I have to believe that hormones and the stress on your body from so much pain, bleeding, etc. causes these headaches. I am hopeful that I will have at least lessened the number of these headaches. I have a high stress job so I know that I will not be immune to them, but I have found that Excedrin Migraine works wonders on these headaches if you catch them early.

Best wishes to you!
Unread 04-08-2002, 02:13 PM
Migraines

Hi, Joann,

I'm a migraine sufferer myself, and I'll share my experiences. There's a little bit of "bad news/good news" here, with a happy ending.

Before my hyst, I had both mild and severe migraines. The severe ones were the type that sent me to the ER, begging for mercy, but I only had those once a year, or so. The mild headaches usually went away with Imitrex. I had two or three mild migraines every week.

Then I had my hysterectomy. I've read many posts here at Hystersisters from women who have headaches for a few weeks after their surgery.

For me, the bad news was that I had some of the worst migraines in my life, for two weeks after my surgery. Just riding in the car to visit the doctor was painful, after a hyst, but I also had the mother of all headaches.

Now, for the good news, and the happy ending. I've only had a few headaches after those first two weeks, and they've been very mild. It's been ten months now. I really think the surgery shut down my headache mechanism.

I hope you'll have fewer headaches after your surgery, too!

Best wishes,
Helen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 02:38 PM
Migraines

wow! i had not yet thought about relief from my headaches after surgery. another something positive to look forward to. thanks for asking the ? and for the answers.
Unread 04-08-2002, 07:36 PM
Migraines

I too am a severe migraine suffer:

I was able to test to see if my migraines subsided before I had the surgery (I opted the Lupron Depot shot) to see how my body would react with having the surgery. Most of my migraines were hormonal and they were asterbatted with my periods *had them all the time. I can say I have relief, MAJOR relief and I am going ahead with my surgery. Some could experience migraines after having the surgery if the body all of a sudden stops producing the estrogen levels the body was accustomed too.

It took 7 years to pin point my problem, my body does not like the estrogen it makes and prefers very little.

Hope this was of some help

Sharon
Surgery 4-29-02 TAH/BSO

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register