What do you drink and eat when you get home??? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

What do you drink and eat when you get home??? What do you drink and eat when you get home???

Unread 04-08-2002, 07:49 PM
What do you drink and eat when you get home???

I am going to do my shopping in a couple of days.
I drink way too much Pepsi. After the surgery does that double you over from the gas. What is the best thing to drink (in addition to water)???

What about eating those first few days after surgery? What was the easiest to keep down and do you need to eat bland for awhile?

Thank you, Kathy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-08-2002, 09:32 PM

Hi Kathy. You are being very smart to think ahead about the Pepsi. You're right, it would give you awful gas if you drank it soon after your surgery. I found water, hot tea, iced tea and fruit juices to go down very well. I also experimented with mixing juices with water or adding a little juice to iced tea. All of those things tasted great to me. Now I'm 9 weeks post and I still don't want to drink any soda!
You may find that the first couple of days home, even if the DR does not put you on a restricted diet (most don't), you might not want anything heavy, spicy or fried. I wanted things like Jell-O, soups, ice cream, yogurt and mashed potatoes (my favorite comfort food) at first. Then it was pasta, non-spicy Chinese food, plain pizza, grilled chicken and fish. I gradually transitioned back to a 'normal' diet by about 2 weeks, except that I continued to avoid sodas and any gas producing veggies (broccoli, cauliflower, cabbage, beans...)
The thing I missed the most after my surgery was my customary one glass of wine or one beer with dinner. I couldn't have it because of the pain meds. I thought about non alcoholic beer but was afraid it would produce too much gas so I just did without.
Hope this helps.
Good luck!
s,
- Linda
Unread 04-08-2002, 11:12 PM

I'm a big water fan. Drank a little warm, flat ginger ale too for my sensitive tummy (those pain meds can mess up your tummy). If you need the caffeine boost from Pepsi, you could try stirring it to get rid of the bubbles (if your doc is OK with you having caffeine).

Food-wise, I ate a lot of oatmeal and soup the first few days, plus some stuff I made and froze ahead of time. I did well on bland foods -- PB&J's, pasta with mild sauces, soups, stews.

Good luck!

Melissa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 04:36 AM

Hi Kathy,

I am also a big pepsi person, I don't drink coffee or tea, my caffeine comes from diet pepsi. It was a couple of weeks before I had any after surgery, but while I was in the hospital they offered me ginger ale or pepsi if I wanted it. I did have the ginger ale, cold and bubbly, with a straw, it didn't seem to affect me, gas-wise.

I didn't have much of an appetite after I got home. Like Melissa, I also ate a lot of oatmeal and chicken soup. And drank juice & water.
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:08 AM
EATS

I didn't have time to prepare and freeze since they moved my surgery up a week (a great surprise!). I went to one of those big wholesale places (BJ's) and stocked up. The one thing I remember that went down really well was good quality pot pies (I think they were Marie Callendar (sp?) for lunches. Meat did not interest me. Also, macaroni & cheese, a couple of tuna salads sandwiches. Eggs & toast hit the spot. And I agree with Surferbabe - Plain pizza, chinese. For some reason, grape juice was my drink of choice. Of course, the prune juice pick me up in the morning was essential!
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:59 AM
Stock Up On Favorites

I stocked up on favorites/things I liked and ate before I went. Soda too--I would open it, pour in a glass, and let it flatten out.
I was in the hospital a total of 9 days and after a few they just went from the inedible clear liquids (which I sent back intact) to a regular diet, most of which was too heavy and spicy (I have esophageal erosion from reflux) or stuff I couldn't stand (scrambled eggs). In the hospital we had no choice--no menu to select from--we took what they gave us. They were giving me broccoli and cauliflower, meatloaf with gravy, pie, chocolate cake, pancakes--all of which I avoided. So when I got home I was glad to get to the stuff I liked and knew I could eat without problems.
Oh--and if you get stuck in a hospital like that--ask for alternatives--I found out later I could have--but of course NO ONE bothered to say anything except for one day dietary called up because they were having a spicy hamburger casserole for lunch and wondered if I could handle it and I said I knew I couldn't and not to send up lunch if that was it but if they could manage a peanut butter sandwich...Worst one I ever ate. You'll be glad to get your favorites at home!
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:27 PM

another Pepsi junkie here!

I skipped the Pepsi and drank water, water, water -- now I'm a water junkie -- go figure. Drank lots of hot tea too.

I lived on salads for lunch and dinner (sometimes with some tuna in them) -- in fact whenever anyone came to visit I asked them to stop and get me a salad at the pizza place down the street. They tasted great, weren't too heavy, and helped "keep things moving" if you get my drift . . . And it was great not having to make the salads, cut things up and clean them - the salads came in throw-away containers and I just got different dressings all the time. I found regular food just too heavy and unappealing for the longest time.

good luck!

Leslie
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:42 PM

I drank gallons of iced tea. Couldn't get enought of it. Lots of bananas and other fresh fruit. I had no problems with gas luckily. I also was not real interested in meat. Really craved chicken caesar salad too. Ahead of time I froze alot of veggie soup and chicken soup. At the hospital I immediately requested a vegetarian diet. I have always found that in hospitals and airplanes you get waaaaaay better food if you ask for the veggie meals. Good luck to you.
Unread 04-11-2002, 05:23 PM

After I spent a couple of days on the stool softener/laxative I was given post-op, I tried something I read about on this site - dried prunes. (Well, I like them better than prune juice!) I have 4 "bite sized" dried prune with half a buttered bagel and a hot cup of tea every morning for breakfast and it works!! And believe me, it's better to have a little bit of prunes every day than wait for days to get relief!! You can definitely bring home the stool softener/laxative they'll probably give you in case you need it, but if I were you, I'd also grab some dried prunes at the market before your surgery date. I find them near the applesauce/canned fruit.

I'm sure all will go well for your surgery. I had a LAVH/LSO. It will be two weeks tomorrow, and I feel great! You'll be glad when it's all over and you're on your way to a great recovery. Come back and post after your surgery once you feel well enough to be back at the computer, and let us all know how you're doing.
Unread 04-11-2002, 06:15 PM

I was eating regular foods pretty much by the weekend after my surgery (which took place on a Tuesday). Because I live alone and my bedroom is upstairs, I did prepare a food stash in a bedroom cabinet before the surgery. I put some cereal bars and individual servings of applesauce and pudding (that doesn't have to be refrigerated) in the cabinet, along with napkins and plastic spoons. I also had 2 cases of bottled water in the bedroom. I'm also a pop addict - for me it's Coke and Dr. Pepper. Somehow drinking bottled water is more appealing to me than drinking out of a glass. It also made it easier to drink the water I needed if it was right there. I did find that after about 10 days I had to break down and drink an occasional DP. There really wasn't a day that I couldn't go downstairs to fix a bowl of cereal or soup or whatever, but having a few things easy to get helped. While your body's energy is all going to healing, you'll find you get the munchies. A lot.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register