Last menstural cycle | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Last menstural cycle Last menstural cycle

Unread 04-09-2002, 05:57 AM
Last menstural cycle

Has anyone else felt sentimental/ceremonial about their last period?I am in my last moon-cycle- and I want to honor it, give myself a ceremony of some kind. I never thought I'd be sentimental about my period, but it's been such a part of life- I'm ready to let it go- won't miss the cramps- bleeding (my fibroid is huge, but on the outside of the uterus, not much bleeding, but other organs are crushed) but this really marks a change.- most women don't know when their last period is-- until many months after the fact- when they come no more. I want to cry about it, but right now- I am so hormonal, I feel like crying at everything-- (but can't quite- can feel a tidal wave of tears coming sometime before April 25 TAH) .

I moved recently- used to have a wonderful circle of female freinds to share all this with- but they are far away, scattered and busy- and this really underlines how lonely i feel, and how hard it has been to adjust to a new part of the world (post 9-11 NY!) and make contacts when I don't feel well.

Has anyone else felt sentimental/ceremonial about their last period?Got any suggestions for that-- or the reservoir of stuck tears? -HeatherRR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:11 AM
Last menstural cycle

Sorry, I was definitely not sentimental about my last period! Ceremonial, maybe (think Snoopy happy dance!)

On the way to the hospital the morning of my surgery I got a little teary thinking that it hadn't been all bad, it did carry my two beautiful kids. Then that moment passed and I said let's get it over with!
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:18 AM
The bonfire

With my unpredictable cycle, I'm not sure if my next one will be the last period, or if I will have another one just pre-op, so am not planning any ceremonies, and certainly won't miss them one bit.

My MD told us a hilarious story about one of his former patients. He said she had such horrible, heavy periods that she bought her pads in bulk, from Sams Club or such. Her surgery was scheduled rather quickly and she ended up with an almost full large bag of pads for which she had no use. They were already opened, so she couldn't return them, had no daughters, etc. etc. She had a ceremonial bonfire with the pads in her back yard! I hope it's a true story, because it is so funny.

Please someone tell me that laughing doesn't hurt post-op, because my life is full of folks who make me laugh all the time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 08:13 AM
Last menstural cycle

Hi Sisters,
I had my TVH on 3/26/02. Went off basically without a hitch. Let's see, I am 2 weeks post op (didn't realize the "anniversary" til just now ) and all is well. Back to the subject at hand. I had mine after years of very painful periods and heavy bleeding. I have several small fibroids and thought about trying ablation cuz for the longest time I couldn't deal emotionally with giving up my uterus. Then every month my period would come and I'd say WHY DO I PUT MYSELF THRU THIS EVERY MONTH!! I mean I have my 2 children, they are teenagers, I had my tubes tied after #2 cuz of preeclampsia/toxemia, so I am NOT having more....anyway it was a very long and hard decision for me. I actually had a surgery date for the ablation even tho the DR said it only had a slight chance of helping (would almost definitely help the heavy bleeding but almost definitely NOT help the pain) He said if I changed my mind pre op,with a little notice, we could change to hyst.
So, I had about 5 weeks to ponder all that and 2 periods, as time would have it!!! The first was shortly after my first dr. appt (obviously) and it was a horrendous one cramps-wise...ok this is a sign i decided to go with the hyst. I felt such release when I finally came to the place where I could make that decision!!! WOW!! When the DR called to make the pre op appt I changed the procedure. Then we had a slight scuffle with the INS co. They wanted me to be a human guinea pig and try all the other options first, including ablation, which in my dr's case would be surgery cuz he does it roller ball style, and that is what finally pushed my decision over the edge. If I'm to have surgery, why not just get it over with once and for all. My DR was awesome and fought the INS co and won!!! Thanks DR G!!!
Anyhow, my last period was actually just finishing up on the day of my surgery. This one was very light, and not very crampy... kinda made me go HMMMMMMM and second guess myself, but not too much...I forged ahead. I did amazingly enough feel sort of sentimental about it. I'm glad you brought it up cuz I felt kinda stupid about that.
One last word... my surgery was in a small hosptial in Maine and I was brought to the maternity floor (well they call it the women's health floor). This was very hard for me, and unexpectedly so. I thought I had dealt with all this before. This is also the hospital where I had both of my babies , it made it even worse. I sort of felt like I was in a club where I didn't belong. Thankfully they don't put you in a room with a new mother. Even tho, this was MY CHOICE, having a new mother /baby in the room would have been even harder.
Ok, sorry this is so long. I guess I needed to get all that off my chest. And it does hurt to laugh, at least for me, but it is getting MUCH better.
Love to all ~ Jen
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:17 AM
Last menstural cycle

I have to say, I was glad to say I am glad to see the back of my periods. Did I jump for joy? I certainly did!!!

By the way Teddy, have a cushion to hand when you feel like laughly uncontrollably!!!!

Lots of love
AM
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:33 AM
Last menstural cycle

Thanks Lady Gwenivere - I apprecaite the fact that someone doesn't think I'm crazy for the bittersweet feelings. I really appreiciated your story.

To all- I don't think I'll miss it- that's not the point I am mainly looking forward to tthe operation with releif!-- I am just deeply aware of the ending of an era, a turning of the page, new chapter opening. like the mixed feelings around one's first period.
But then- I am originally from New Mexico- where we tend to make a ritual for most things- pay attention to the cycle of a woman's body deeply.- and some may say- take it all too seriously. ( though with a lot of laughter) -- Just homesick I guess.

And I will remember the trick with the pillow for the laughter- thanks HRR
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:48 AM
Last menstural cycle

Heather, I know what you mean. I hated my periods all my life -- they hurt so much -- but I felt sentimental when I was having my last one 2 weeks before surgery. I'm a big believer in rituals and honoring the body.

I spent some time during and after my period talking to my uterus, thanking it for working so hard, telling it its suffering would soon be over, trying to comfort it because it was terrified. I also visualized the whole surgery and felt a lot of unexpected emotion come up, especially as I visualized my uterus leaving my body -- that might be one way to jump-start those blocked tears.

I'm glad I won't have the mess and pain anymore, but I do sometimes feel a little wistful about it. Then again, I'm only 4 weeks post-op.

Good luck with your surgery!

Melissa
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Good advice

Thanks Melissa

Exactly- that is a good approach- I will go have that long talk with my uterus. I have a feeling- from the prickling behind my eyes as I write- that that will do the trick for the backlogged tears as well.
I really appreciate all your comments- HRR
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:29 AM
Last for me!

I'm having my last one. I thought I was finished yesterday, but when I went to my pre-op & had to tinkle for them........

Nice big clot! (ugh!!!! yickkkkkk!!!!)

This is the 7th day, hoping it will stop. If not, it will end on Monday when I have my surgery!

Debbie
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi HRR

I think your idea of ceremony is great.
When we are drawn to do something we need to do it. And who says we can't celebrate and mourn a change at the same time.
I too used to live in an area (Washington State) where there were many gatherings of women to drum and dance and sing and sweat together. I miss those days. I now live in an area where the only thing people celebrate is their new SUV.
Anyway I did some guided imagery for myself. I said good bye to those organs that were leaving my body, I thanked them for what they had given me in my life, and then released them asking them to go easily during surgery. It certainly helped psychologically and I do think it made for an easier surgery and faster recovery. Very little blood loss and practically no pain.
I have also read from women here you have had Bon Voyage parties for their uterus's etc.
I will burn some sage for you in Cyberspace.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register