New Here | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:50 AM
New Here

Hi I'm new here. Just had a laparoscopy and D&C on 4/5. The dr. thought I had a ovarian mass on my right ovary. Found out Friday that It wasn't a mass it was my ovary. My Dr. told me that my ovary on the right is as big as my uterus and my ovary on the left is almost as big as my uterus and my uterus is the size of a 12 week pregenecy. So he said I need a complete hysterectomy. I go this Thursday to schudule the day for surgery. I'm only 29 years old and scared I don't know what to expect. If i will be able to get up in and get the kids to school (3 kids) Not sure what question to ask my dr. if any one has any information please email me thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 08:28 AM
New Here

Minnie~Im having a TAH on friday and have been told my my doctor tha tits at least a 4week recovery. Do you have anyone to help you? Keep comin here there is tons of info these ladies are great. Im new too so i dont have much advice Im still looking for it myself.Good Luck!
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:21 AM
Welcome!

So glad you found Hystersisters! It is an absolutely wonderful site and am so glad I found it before my surgery. Read lots and lots. Ask ANY question you have here. There is always someone here who's been there and done that and can offer tons of advice and support.

This is a major surgery and can be very scary, but believe me when I tell you that waiting was the absolute worst part. I have been fortunate in that I have bounced back rather quickly, but I am still following doctor's orders.

Here is a brief rundown but you will find tons more on this site:
NO lifting (my doc said nothing more than a book) for the first 2-4 weeks.
NO driving for a minimal of 2 weeks
NO sex for 6 weeks minimal
absolutely NO housework of any kind for 2 weeks and only limited work after that (washing dishes, folding laundry only, a little cooking).
NO sitting for periods longer than 1-2 hours at first, then no more than 4 hours after the 2nd week.

Do you have someone (family, husband, signifcant other, friend) who can help you? I strongly urge you to have someone helping for at least the first 2 weeks, on call all the time (especially with children). Your body needs time to heal properly the first time and if you overdo it, you could end up right back in the hospital from complications.

Please discuss everything with your doctor - fears, concerns, what you will need to do and not do when you get home, how much help you will need, etc. Each doctor is different and each lady's recovery is different. Some bounce right back and others have a longer recovery.

My thoughts and prayers are with you. Please continue to use this site as much as possible. It is so helpful and everyone is so thoughtful and supportive. No question or concern is silly, so ask away. We're all here for you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 10:53 AM
Hi Minnie

Welcome to HysterSisters. We are so glad you found us.
Please check out the pull down menu's on the home page. There is lot's of information on what to expect and how to prepare for your surgery and recovery.
Yes, please do and try to get some help at home for those first few weeks with your children. You will need lot's of rest and healing time.
Here is a link to some questions you can ask your doc at the pre-op meeting.
http://www.hystersisters.com/questions.php
Good luck to you. And please keep reading and posting. We are here for you.
Unread 04-09-2002, 02:52 PM
New Here

Welcome, welcome!! I am sure you will find this site just as wonderful as I have...could have never got through the past few months without it!! I am having a LAVH/BSO on 4-16 for adenomyosis and I was told just no driving for 2 weeks, no lifting for 4, and can resume normal activity after 6 week check up if all is well...I know, pretty broad, but everyone heals differently...I have one 8 year old son, so luckily he is in school full time and I can rest, but I do have to walk him down the driveway to the bus in the morning (we live on a very busy road), I have to go up and down stairs to do that, but plan on taking in very slow! Your doc will probably talk to you about all that, but I would have someone to help you with the kids for atleast the first two weeks. Best of luck on your surgery!!

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register