cold!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:42 AM
cold!!!!

Hello ladies, I am 2 weeks pre-op today. My DH has been fighting a cold for a week and guess what, I got it last night. I have been trying to get rest, drink a lot of fluids, take vitamin c but I still got it. Any good ideas for getting rid of it fast. Of course I have all of my other nasty ovary symptoms so my energy level is about nil and I can't sleep due to a sore chest and dry cough.

Help!! This waiting is making me insane, I cannot have my surgery postponed. What should I do?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 09:49 AM
cold!!!!

Hi there Bonnie. I would call your doctor immediately. You've got 2 weeks and that is plenty of time to get some medicine. If it's just a plain old cold, then chicken noodle soup, juices, water, and rest is the best way to go. But the sore chest has me concerned. That is my first symptom of bronchitis (except the overall feeling bad), and that has to be treated with antibiotics, usually a 10-14 day supply.

Please call now and see what they would like for you to do. I know you don't want to put off your surgery, so I would do as much as I could to get better fast...and the DH too. You're going to need him rested and healthy for your return home from the castle.

Good luck!!
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:04 AM
cold!!!!

Hi Bonnie,
I agree with Kristy- RUN to the phone and call your doctor. You need to get on MEDS ASAP! I am scheduled for TAH on 4/22 and it has been my worst fear to get sick. The dr. warned me not to. . Some people say to take zinc in addition to the meds, but apparently you have to start on the zinc losenges within 24-48 hours of the onset of the cold.
You are in my thoughts- Get Well Soon!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 10:09 AM
cold!!!!

I specifically asked my nurse in the gyn's office what would happen if I got a cold before surgery and her response was to call them. If you have an infection now is the time to try and get rid of it with antibiotics. The chest discomfort would concern me because if you have bronchitis or pneumonia that could take two weeks minimum to get better and lots of times they won't even do the surgery because of the risk of pneumonia associated with general anethesia if you have general. Although at the time I only had a virus confirmed by a blood test, I was coughing and having chest pain. You may want to ask them to give you something for your cough and to have a blood test done to see if there is an active infection. I actually got some cough syrup that contained codiene (pain reliever and cough suppressant) and phenerghan (anti-histamine and anti-nausea) that relieved my nasal irritation, made me sleepy, and stopped the cough. It was the best. Just be careful not to take anything such as advil, ibuprophen, or other anti-inflammatories prior to surgery. Also don't take herbal supplements such as echnaciea or such without consulting with the dr.
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:53 AM
cold!!!!

Thank you ladies, I think I will call the Doctor as soon as I get home just to make sure. It is better safe than sorry, I can not wait any longer for this surgery. I came to work today but I think I will stay in bed tomorrow to try to get some rest. Although I sit at a desk most of the day there are a lot of people around me that are sick. I wonder if they would notice if I wore a mask all day LOL.
Unread 04-09-2002, 10:56 AM
Oh how I know how you feel!

I remember within a week or two of my surgery that several people in Dilbert cubicles next and near to mine were sick. I put a sign outside mine that banished anyone who was sick. They thought I was hilarious, but I told them if they caused me to delay my surgery that I would not be happy camper! LOL!!

Glad you are going to give the Doc a call. Keep us posted!
Unread 04-09-2002, 12:59 PM
cold!!!!

That was my biggest fear before surgery, that I would get sick. But I waited to come down with a cold until two weeks after surgery

If you look at the top of this message board there is a list of herbs and medications NOT to take before surgery. Don't try to self-medicate this close to surgery. If you take the wrong thing it can cause postponement of your surgery.

Glad to see you're calling the DR.
Unread 04-09-2002, 02:12 PM
cold!!!!

when I went to the hospital the day before my surgery for my blood work and my ekg I was told to use my inhaler for my astmas just so I would not be whezzing the next day or they would postpone my surgery
they will take your temp to and if you are running a temp they will post pone it too
so just take care of it call your doctor
you can't eat garlic eather cause that will thin the blood down
just thought I would throw my two cents in here
Unread 04-09-2002, 02:31 PM
cold!!!!

I just talked to a fellow hystersister that had surgery today and the doc opted to do the surgery with an epidural instead of putting her under, because of her chest cold.

Hope you don't have to postpone the operation, it is hard enough to get psyched up for it once, let alone having to do it all over again.

I am having my surgery TAH tomorrow am and I just want to wake up and be alive!!!

Cindy
Unread 04-09-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi Cindy!

Hello to a fellow east-tennesseean! Good luck with your surgery and recovery. Everything is going to be just fine. Try to rest tonight. I had fears of not waking up, and I see on this board that that is one of the most common things we are scared of with surgery. But you will have lots of people in the OR looking out for you, so no worries ok??!!

My thoughts and prayers will be with you, and may you bounce back with a renewed lease on life. Be a good princess when you get home. Lots of rest, walking, and drinking water and juices. Come back once you're up to sitting for a "short" period of time and let us know how you are.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register