Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!! | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!! Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!!

Unread 04-09-2002, 12:46 PM
Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!!

I'm so glad I found the Hyster Sisters website. My surgery is in three days and I'm so scared. I'm only 28 and I really don't know what is going to happen to me. My Doctor is great and she has given me alot of information but I'm still very scared. My mother-in-law and sister-in-law both have been through this and everytime I ask them questions they just say " everything will be okay, just don't worry about it, you'll be fine". Please help !!!!
Can someone tell me what to expect when I wake up. I mean I know alot of pain but what else ? Thanks, Jodi
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 01:01 PM

Jody, I am very glad you found this site. There is a ton of information on the home page at the bottom pull down menus. Take the time to read through them, I did and got a lot of good information. Any specific questions, just post them and you will see how supportive these ladies are.

Good luck, your waiting is almost over.
Unread 04-09-2002, 01:59 PM

Your mil and sil are right. You will be fine. It's just that the waiting is driving you crazy. Just a few more days and you'll be able to breath a sigh of relief. Relax, this really is the worst part.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 03:24 PM

I am sure you will find most of the answers to your questions here...this is such a great site! What you have to expect kind of depends of what type of surgery you are having....I am having a LAVH/BSO on 4-16...from what I understand the vaginal hysterectomy has a lot less recovery time, but I will go through the surgical menopause with my ovaries being taken! Feel free to post any questions here, you will be amazed with the overwhelming support here!
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:59 PM

Hi Jodi!!! You really will be fine! What you will experience afterwards will be moving slow (but they will have you up walking in no time at the hospital) taking lots of naps and generally taking it easy for a few weeks. The day of your surgery, you will be in la la land for most of the day. I had an epidural, and I felt pretty well that night. The nurses, docs and others will constantly be in your room all hours checking your vital signs and asking questions. My nurses were the best! All of them were great and very compassionate. When you get home you cant bend, lift, push, pull, etc. for a while. My doc had me add 30 mins each day to the time I was up on my feet, both in the morning and in the afternoon. After a while I started getting my energy back and by the time I went back to work, I felt really good. It really does take a while to be 100% healed so just keep in mind that its a process, but after you are recovered you will feel soooo much better!!! I'm 43 and I feel 28!
Take care and ask any questions you may have!!
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:10 PM
Me too!

Dear Jodi-

My surgery is 4/12/02 also & I am also scared. Finally insurance got approved for me today, but insurance only wants me to stay overnight (I think they want me to jog home too), but my doctor's office said "they" will let insurance know when I should be discharged.

This has all gone so fast. I first went to the doctor on March 18th, thinking it was menopause, & just April 1st he confirmed that I need the hysterectomy.

Like you, I'm scared, as well as sad, depressed, worried, etc. I've never had surgery, so I'm afraid of the pain also, but everyone tells me pain management is the hospital's priority. Mine will be abdominal surgery due to the size of the uterus from the fibroids, & so the doctor can determine what else needs to come out due to a cancer scare too. It just seems out of my hands.

I will wish & pray for the best for both of us!

Take care!

Jeandre
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:28 PM

Hi and welcome!

You have gotten some great replies here...I just want to add a bit about pain management. When you meet with your doctor and anesthesiologist before your surgery, ask them to help you make a plan for this. Will you have an epidural, a PCA pump with demerol or morphine? Will you take oral pain meds? Have it all spelled out. Also, discuss with both doctors that you'd like to have anti-nausea drugs administered into your IV BEFORE you wake up. This will help avoid nasty reactions to pain meds.

The most important thing you can do about your pain is to be VOCAL about it...if you hurt, tell everyone and anyone until they fix you so you don't hurt. Take your pain meds on schedule even if you think you don't need them...this will help you stay ahead of the pain.

Take things very slow and easy, follow your doctor's instructions, and read all the good suggestions here, and you will be fine!!! Listen to your body, give it this chance to heal properly, and you should do just great.

Karen
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:35 PM

I will pray for you. As a 33 year old mother of one (cancer/endo and adeno..May2)...I can relate. We are young but this is to our advantage.
So a little pixie dust, prayers and positive thought are all sent to you by me.
Goddess Bless,
Paula
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the encouragement

I just wanted to say thanks to everyone. Again, I'm so greatful that I found this site. I've never had surgery before and it all happened so fast that I've barely had time to process it all. After a tough preterm delivery with my daughter 2 years ago I started having severe pain and very long periods. I tried lots and lots of medication and the D&C procedure but eventually the problem worsened. It all came to a head two weeks ago when after two missed periods the bleeding and pain began. It was so bad I couldn't get out of bed for over a week. I finally got so weak that my husband rushed me in to the doctor. Of course by this time I was very anemic. That's the only reason why we haven't already done it. I have just been to weak and my blood so low that they were to afraid of complications. So once again I'm taking hormones to try to control the bleeding somewhat. The bleeding has slowed but it won't stop. The pain at times is unbearable as I'm sure you all know. I wanted to avoid this at all cost but the pain has gotten to much to bear. I do have one question that I would like to ask? Someone told me that you feel much better when they take the "packing?" out. Does everyone have this done and if so why?
Unread 04-09-2002, 09:58 PM

Hi Jodie:

Just cruising the pre-op board and read your message.

I remember reading stuff about the packing before my hyster and wondering about it, too. I never had any sort of packing. I woke up with a regular old fashioned sanitary pad between my legs. They had me keep a pad on (and these were the old kind with no adhesive) while in the hospital. They gave me these funny net-like stretchy panties to hold it on. You may want to bring some giant cotton panties and some pads with adhesive backs with you. I was so happy to have my giant cotton panties for some time to come.

Like the others have said, the hospitals are really tuned in to pain management and don't want you to be in pain. Pain impairs your body in it's efforts to heal, so don't be a martyr. It really will be okay. They do so many of these (hysters) that they are good at knowing what to expect and do for you.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register