Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!! - Page 2 | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!! Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!!

Unread 04-10-2002, 01:18 AM
Surgery 4/12/02 I'm scared!!!!!!

How well I remember those pre-op nerves, well it was only three weeks ago after all.

You WILL do great and be fine, but it is sure hard to believe that when you're waiting for surgery. I had never had any kind of major surgery before, and I was scared about everything, anesthesia, pain, complications, etc. etc. etc., you name it, it made me flip out. I was a good candidate for the loony bin during the two months I had to wait for my surgery. I had a SAH on 3/20 and my recovery is going well, but for a couple of setbacks that came along because I didn't follow doctors' orders. Be a good princess when you get home, and everything will be A-OK!

I was also very anemic beforehand, and had to wait because of that.

About pain, well all I can say is talk to your doctor and the anesthesiologist as much as you need to about ALL your questions and concerns, and keep talking till you get the answers you need. Some hospitals also have pain management experts, and if yours has one you can talk to that person too. Let them know you're scared! And if you have a low tolerance for pain, let them know that too. The more information they have, the better they will manage your pain, and believe me they want to do the best they can with that. When you go home make sure you have a plan of action to take care of any post-op discomfort you may have.

You can get a lot of information by just reading the posts here, and posting your own questions when you have them.

Good luck and s to you.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 01:47 AM

Hi,
I haven't had my surgery yet but I wanted to comment on the pain issue. Make sure when you get home to take your pain medication as precribed, even if it means your husband has to wake you up (or for others reading set your alarm clock if you have no one to wake you up). This is very important to do at least for a couple of days. Pain can get out of control really fast and what would keep you comfortable (example taking pain meds every 4 hours) will not keep you comfortable if you miss a dose. Then you try to play "catch-up" which can be a lot of very painful hours. So even if you are not in a lot of pain don't skip the pain meds. It very well may be the pain med keeping the pain low.

This is from personal experience (other surgeries) and what I tell my patient's.

Hope this helps and Keep us informed on how you are doing.

Kerri
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:39 AM

Hi, I was very scared as well. I am 4 weeks post op now and feel pretty darn GOOD!
I had a spinal/epidural..the epidural was my pain relief for the first 24 hours and I had NO PAIN. I was numb from the waist down. The 2nd day, the epidural was removed and I went onto Demerol and then Toridal for pain mgment. The pain on the 2nd day was like menstrual cramps..but the pain medicine controlled that as well. The nurses at my hospital were constantly monitoring my pain level. They would ask me to rate my pain on a scale from 1-10. I really never got above a 3-4 level. They did switch my pain meds from the Demerol to Toridol because the Demorel was making me naseaus. Again, it was no big deal.
When I came home, I just took Advil (aka Motrin) for a couple of days.
Everyone is so different with their individual pain thresholds..the key is to take your pain meds and REST, REST. You can rest better and heal quicker if your pain is under control.
By the 2nd week of post op..I was only taking my Advil at night as I got more achey in the evening.
Good luck and you will soon be on the other side!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:41 AM

hi Jodi~~Im having surgery on the 12th too. Iam anemic too what does your doctor have you on for the anemia?Im taking 108mg of iron a day. Im also very worried about the whole thing as mine came on quickly too. good Luck to you.
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:51 AM

Hi Jodie,
You came to the right site! They helped me alot here and I was a TOTAL baby before the surgery. I was scared and so emotional, but it wasn't even close to being bad as I thought it would be. I'm 3 weeks post op and my biggest problem is constipation! I haven't had alot of pain and the hospital stay went fast and pretty uneventful. Hang in there and before you know it, it'll be past and you'll be on the road to recovery. Try some relaxation by listening to some music and know that you'll be better soon.
Take Care, we'll keep you in our prayers!
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:30 AM

Jodi, wow we could be twins! I am 28 too, my surgery is the 16th, I am scared out of my mind, I have a million questions in my mind, i wish you the best and will be thinking of you on the 12th, take care & best of luck!
Lynn

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register