No Pre op?? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support
Unread 04-09-2002, 02:32 PM
No Pre op??

Hi...well, after leaving many many messages for my scheduling nurse I decided yesterday morning to call the insurance company...they told me no pre approval call was noted...so again left 2 more messages yesterday...right before I left work and was on my way to the doctors office (was going to stand there until I got my answer), I called one last time and she answered...I asked if my surgery was approved and she said YES!! She said I was all set and don't need to do anything else?? Is this common?? I did discuss the procedure and he told me what I could and couldnt do before and after the surgery, I went for my CBC, and the hospital did call me today and discuss my medical history and I asked her a few questions I planned on asking my doctor...that nurse said the the doctor had written on the orders not to give me any sedatives until he talks to me before surgery. Is this considered my pre op?? Most of my questions are answered (thanks to hystersisters), just had some hrt questions for him, but guess I could do that the morning of! Well, its final!! 7 more days to go!! Now the nerves are setting in!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 02:40 PM
No Pre op??

I've never had a "pre-op" appointment any time my doctor has performed surgery on me. He does come to my "gurney-side" and ask me if I have any questions. I will ask them then if I haven't already called and worried the fire out of them at the office before my surgery! After he talks to me they will give me a sedative. I know every doctor and hospital is different though. Good luck and hang in there for the next few days. Before you know it, it will be all over! My nerves haven't set in good yet. I've got 3 weeks to go!
Unread 04-09-2002, 02:57 PM
No Pre op??

Thats a new one on me. I thought you always had to go for pre-op stuff for any kind surgery? They need to do an EKG and blood work at least dont they? Hum... I had all that and talked with the anesthesia nurse when I went. Maybe they will do some of it the day you go in. I went to my doc the week before surgery to go over everything with him and from there, he sent me to the hospital with my file etc. for the pre-op stuff. I felt better knowing everything was done and all my questions answered before the big day.
Nerves are definiately a part of the process!! Dont worry, they take good care of you in the hospital and after you come home, its all up hill from there. Before you know it, you will start feeling good again. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself and I have no regrets whatsoever!
Good luck and good health to you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 03:26 PM
No Pre Op Here!

Hi,

I had my surgery on November 28 - and just had to be at the hospital two hours prior for some basic lab work - nothing special. Just goes to show that all doctors and all patients are different. Did your doctor say anything to you about bowel prep? This is another area that varies. I had to do an enema the night before, some ladies have to drink something to clean themselves out and others don't have to do anything. Most important thing is to follow YOUR doctors orders. He knows you and what your requirements are.

Best wishes!
Unread 04-09-2002, 03:30 PM
No Pre op??

Hi Ladies!

It's true that every situation is different. I went to the hospital a few days before surgery to have crossmatching done, but that was it. On the day of my surgery, I was admitted to my room and prior to the surgery the anesthesiologist stopped by to go over things with me. A short time later, my doctor came in and we had a little chat. It had been a month since I had seen him.

Best wishes to all of you!!
Unread 04-09-2002, 03:57 PM
No Pre op??

I do have to be at the hospital 2 hours before sugery...maybe that is when they finish up anything! I did have blood work, but that was it. I do get to speak with my doc and the aneste. before surgery...no bowel prep according to the nurse that I talked to today! So maybe that is it....I think I am just stressing myself out to what needs to be done! Thanks for all the answers!
Unread 04-09-2002, 05:57 PM
No Pre op??

I get confused if whether ladies are considering the bloodwork etc... at the hospital a pre-op appointment or whether they are calling the pre-op appointment one where you would go into the doctors office for a visit. I asked all my questions the day I went in to the doctor and then we scheduled the date. I do have to go to the hospital on the 29th of April for bloodwork and such and my surgery is May 1st. I haven't been told of any bowel prep and I hope I don't have to!!!
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:56 PM
No Pre op??

In my case the day I saw my DR to schedule surgery was the last apt with her before surgery. She told me this was the time to ask questions and I had my list with me. She did call me the night before surgery to see if I had any other questions or concerns, and I saw her in the OR prep room.

I also had to go to the hospital about a week before surgery. First I went to admissions and signed all the insurance papers, etc, then off to a pre op nurse who checked my height, weight, and vitals, then she took a complete medical history. After that she went over pre op instructions from my DR, which included an enema and medicated douche the night before. She also explained what the procedure would be the morning of surgery, what time I should arrive, where I should go, etc. My last stop was to the lab to have blood drawn. I don't know what the age is for and ekg, I'm 46 and didn't have to have one.

Every DR and every hosp is different!
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:19 PM
No Pre op??

It is confusing isn't it!

In my case, I had a pre-op appointment (which also was a post op from the lap I had which determined I needed they hyst) a couple of weeks before my surgery. I did not have to go to the hospital for preop work prior to the surgery. I've always been under the understanding here on the site that when ladies mention their "pre op" they are talking about going to the hospital a few days prior to the surgery for blood work etc. But, not all doctors require that and many ladies don't have to do it. I too saw the Anesthesiologist the morning of the surgery prior to going in to the room and saw my doctor at some point (although I was groggy enough that I really don't remember it much).

Hope that helps!
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:43 PM
Aren't you lucky!

My surgery is the 15th I go back to my Dr. I saw last week for my post op when he told me about the hysterectomy..........for another appt. for the pre-op it's Thurs. then I
to have to go to the hospital for the lab work on Fri......I have just been to that same lab the 17th of March the day before my laproscopy......wouldn't you think the'd have all my info still ? It's been less that a month at the Lab.....????!!!
My Dr wants all the same bloodwork and things alllllll over again !
I'm only staying for 23 hours it's called observation......and the nurse said the Ins. company would approve this faster....
I asked her if I was in bad pain do I HAVE to go home? She said I could stay if they're were complications............ I only have my 18 year old DS to watch over me at home??? So I'm kinda wondering how all this is going to work out???
I'll not have a Morphine drip, just demoral shots. The nurse said I wouldn't be in enough pain for the drip....although from reading all these posts I'm a little concerned.....????
I guess I'll find out this coming Monday....surgery day
I'll be so glad to have my brief castle stay over ! I guess he's going to keep going over me until this is all over.......Wish I were you !!!
Take care,
Deborah

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register