Help I think I am ready??/ | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Help I think I am ready??/ Help I think I am ready??/

Unread 04-09-2002, 04:08 PM
Help I think I am ready??/

Hello sisters, First I want to thank everyone this site is wonderful I could not have been this prepared without the help of all you who have posted threads for me to read(((HUGS)))Well I think I am ready for my day which is 4/25 @ 1:00 pm. I have food cooked and in freezer, cupboards cleaned, closets cleaned out, did spring housekeeping to my whole house, my bag is packed for the castle, I have a basket with mags, crossword puzzles, 2 books and a hand held computer game for recovery @ home, bed table and toilet extension is on hold for rental to be p/u 4/20,tummy pillow,new jammies, robe, slippers, bigggg undies,heating pad, my recovery room will be dh and my bedroom, he will sleep in other room if need be. Whewwww!!! Is there anything that you think I have fogotten?? Mu DH thinks I am going nuts. But I am very organized and routine I don't like to wait to the last minute to do things. Now I am worried I will sit and totaly stress over my surgey. I think I do better when I keep busy it takes my mind off this surgery. I am having a TAH/BSO, endo and my 1 ovary is wedged at my bladder and another organ so my hyster doc will have another surgeon assist in case of damage to other oragns. I wish it was over. I know the wait is the hardest. Well thanks for letting me vent .. (((HUGS)))) to everyone!!!
Your hystersister Tina 39 years young
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:43 PM

Hi Shopbunny!

Sounds like you have it covered!

Maybe some "biggie" clothes for your recovery at home. I made the mistake of having my sweats and such packed away with winter clothes. Therefore, when I got tired of being in my p.j.'s I had nothing to wear! So be prepared and have some bigger clothes (sweats, etc) ready too.

Best of luck
Unread 04-09-2002, 11:43 PM

Hi, Shopbunny! You really are organized and prepared! If you are having TAH, you might want a shower chair (plastic patio chair works well). Showers feel so good, but you get tired very easily and could feel a little light-headed. I used my shower chair for 5 weeks, placing a hand towel across the seat--felt great! s and best wishes to you!
Ruthie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 03:12 AM

Thanks soo much for the biggie clothes idea and I do have have patio chair that should fit in shower I will check to make sure it will fit, that was a good idea. THANKS Again for the respone!!
{{{{hugs}}}}}

Tina
Unread 04-10-2002, 06:00 AM

Tina;

It does sound like you're prepared.

I was thinking back to how I prepared my recovery room, and things I wished for afterward. My recovery room was our living room.

I had a boombox with CD player close by with some of my favorite CDs and headphones, so I could listen to that without disturbing anyone. It was good for napping in the afternoon - I have a CD of a rainstorm, and I would put that on (not loud) with my headphones and I could nap and not be disturbed by the family's coming and going in the afternoons. But I like some background noise like that when I sleep, and you may not.

Also, I didn't think of it beforehand, but I asked my husband to bring our oscillating fan into my room, because I felt hot sometimes and I liked the moving air.

I don't know if you're a big reader, but 2 books got me through 2 days. I wasn't into reading for the first few, because I couldn't seem to retain a thought at first, I think because of the anesthesia. But after a few days, I was ripping through the books.

You didn't mention it, and you probably have one, but I thought I'd mention it: a TV, with a VCR or DVD player and some favorite movies or ones you want to see. Your family can also rent you some movies as time goes on. (With remote, of course!)

I had a little basket of things like lotion, chapstick, waterless hand wash, face cleaner (with cotton balls) and things like that close by too.

Lastly, I went shopping a day or two before the surgery and bought lots of single serving type juices that I liked - no lifting big bottles. And bottles of water, so I could keep some nearby and not have to get up too much to get more water. And snacky things like raisins, Craisins, peanut butter crackers, fruit, etc.

I took a little basket of Easter treats to the hospital with me (actually DH brought it with him that afternoon) and put it on a table in my room for the nurses, doctors, etc. They kept coming in to "fluff my pillows" and "by the way maybe another Reeses Pnut butter cup, while I'm here." I know, bribery, but they did appreciate the thought, and I liked having them drop by often and ask if they could get me anything. I meant to bake a tray of cookies for them, but got too busy in the days right before the surgery, so just took a basket of treats.

Best wishes on your hospital stay and recovery. {{{{HUGS}}}}

Debbie
Unread 04-10-2002, 08:08 AM
Wow Shopbunny! You're a lot more prepared than I am!

I'm having surgery the same day as you, and haven't done half the things yet that you have. I've been after my husband to FINISH our bedroom, so I will have a place to recover. We both tend to procrastinate!

I keep thinking about all these things I need to do, I just haven't gotten that far yet. It's getting down to the 2 week mark, so I'd better get in gear! Keep in touch, Jean
Unread 04-10-2002, 11:44 AM

Sounds like you are REALLY ready. My date is 4/22, and okay I did pack for the castle, but that is all. You gave me alot of great ideas, and so did many of the women that replied to your post.
The only thing that I did, which may be worth mentioning, is that I bought theater tickets to a play and made reservations at a nice restaurant for the Saturday evening 4/20 before the surgery of 4/22. My DH & I wanted to do something nice that weekend since we probably will not be able to go anywhere afterwards for a while.
Thanks for all of your great ideas, and all good wishes to you!
Unread 04-10-2002, 12:10 PM

How did you possibly know what to have ready? I'm new to this site and will be visiting my GYN later this month to decide just how much to remove. Will he tell me what to have on hand or guide me as to what I might need? Last night my husband asked if I'd be ready to bowl 2 wks after surgery (5/20). I'm thinking we need LOTS more information.
Unread 04-10-2002, 01:04 PM
Welcome!

Hi, rdinvt! Welcome to HysterSisters--best site on the Web! You've come to the right spot to get support and info and be prepared for your hyst. I know it really helped me to accept that this was a positive step for my health and that so many women have come through it fine--even better than they were before. If you click on the 3 princesses at the top of the page, it will take you to the page where there are pull-down menus with stories and advice for Ladies in Waiting (waiting for the date of their hyst). Here is a link for the hospital list http://www.hystersisters.com/list.php I found, though, I didn't need to pack everything on the list. You will only be in the hospital 2-3 days most likely, and while you're there you won't do much besides sleep and watch tv! Read as much as you can here and post any questions that you wish. We'll try to answer them and we'll be here to support you through this journey. s and best wishes!
Ruthie
Unread 04-10-2002, 01:59 PM
Ready

Shopbunny---sounds like you are totally ready. I'll be entering the "castle" the same day as you! I haven't even thought about what I need to do to prepare. I'm feeling really behind the 8-ball now.

I keep worrying about what tasks I need to do at work and also the things I need to do for my school volunteer obligations. I hadn't given any thought to preparing myself!! I do have my mom lined up to come over an "pamper" me after surgery. I'll check out the other areas of this site to see what else I need to do.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register