anyone tired relaxation tapes? | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

anyone tired relaxation tapes? anyone tired relaxation tapes?

Unread 04-09-2002, 04:13 PM
anyone tired relaxation tapes?

Hello Sisters,

My SAH is still over one month away (tentative date May 22). I deliberately asked for a May surgery in order to mentally and physically prepare for this surgery. I've been reading a lot here; what a fantastic site!

I had never had surgery before, never been in a hospital, and am needle-phobic. I get very anxious before getting injections, and I get light-headed every time I've had a blood test. Sooooo, the thing that bothers me the most is the many needle-sticks I will have to endure, not to mention the IV, that will stay in there for who knows how long!!!!

I've read about some sisters getting anxiety meds prior to surgery, and I think I will ask my Dr about that. But what about relaxation tapes? Anyone tried that, and if so, did it help? If you found one you like, let me know. The good thing about my long wait for surgery is that I have over one month to listen to these tapes. I am hoping that being calm will not only help me in the pre-op period, but also speed my recovery.

Thanks in advance for all your suggestions.

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 05:47 PM

Hi Joanne!!! I dont like needles either. I find if I turn my head away its not as bad. The only needles I had to endure was the one for my IV in the top of my hand and when I had the epidural. Both were painless. They removed the IV and cathatur the day after surgery. No problem with either. It wasnt as bad as I imagined!
You may want to call your doc to let him/her know you are anxious and can the prescribe you something to help calm your nerves some. I didnt listen to relaxation tapes because they are way too mellow for me although I think they are beneficial. I love Carole King, so I listened to her cd's. Oh so relaxing!! You may have a favorite artist that is calming to you, so try that before you invest in something you may not like or want.
With your surgery not for a while yet, you will certainly have lots of time on your hands. Try to keep occupied doing other things you enjoy. I found that I did alot of worrying for nothing and alot of preparations that were unnecessary. I did clean a bunch (that kept my mind off the surgery) but I just packed for the hospital like I would if I were going out of town for a few days. I also have a teenage daughter who can drive and cook and a husband who works from home, so I didnt stress out about groceries etc. The time waiting is the worst part. I had not had surgery either, so it was a different experience for me. The hospital staff was wonderful, I have a great doctor (who had me laughing all the way into the OR) and great family and friends who helped out when I got home.
Now I feel great, great, great!
Good luck to you!!!
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:56 AM

Yes, relaxation/meditation tapes help ALOT.. you can get them just about anywhere.. I also like the ones with guided breathing techniques to help relax you. dr. weil has some out. I have been given ativan for anxiety and I do take it when I need to but would rather do without... also walking out in the fresh air helps the nerves...One other thing I did was go to bath and body works where they have some aroma therapy products that are wonderful.. I got the vanilla/lavender... I got some that I spray on the sheets and my pillow at night, bath oil and body lotion... they really help.....
take good care of yourself and best wishes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 01:39 PM

I think the tapes are of tremendous help. Meditation tapes or just music can help your relax. I think the guided imagery tapes can positively impact healing and recovery times.
I used a 2 tape set called "Successful Surgery and Recovery" by Emmett Miller M.D. which I had seen mentioned here. To order you can call 1-800-231-4261. (I think they were $30 plus shipping.)
Good luck.
Unread 04-12-2002, 03:32 PM
guided imagery tapes

hi
my dr had recommended i alleviate some anxiety by getting some guided imagery tapes she felt were great. i didnt get them until right after my pre op appt. they were and are wonderful. not only is the music nice but the whole tape gives affirmations directly related to surgery and hospitals etc and helps u face the entire ordeal, i took a few anti anxiety meds the night before surgery and a few the week before but the tapes were great. i didnt think they would be but are specifically for surgery. i got the cds and even if u just listen a few times i bet u gain alot of calm.
i was a wreck but i came through very well and it was a noneeventful surgery and i even came home the same day, but i had a tvh. i know this seems crazy but my dr does this alot with tvh and i felt better after surgery than before. i am crampy and sore but doing well
u can order these directly from the number below but i got mine from the womens med center my doctor referred me to,
image paths of ohio...800-800.8661
or www.healthjourneys.com
jandrie
tvh 4/8/02 severe bleeding and anemia,severe clotting and pain, lotsa fibroids , one larger than golf ball, poylps and adeno...
Unread 04-12-2002, 04:15 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. I've ordered two tapes, so if I don't like one, there's another I can try. As I mentioned before, I have more than one month to prepare, so I plan on listening as often as I can, as soon as they arrive.

I like the idea of aromatherapy also. I have a gift certificate to The Body Shop and now I know how I'll spend it!
Unread 04-12-2002, 06:04 PM

I never tried tapes, but I did visualize the whole surgery in detail, picturing it all going smoothly and painlessly. I swear that helped enormously.

Good luck!

Melissa
Unread 04-13-2002, 08:19 AM

I also used relaxation tapes and felt it helped me tremendously. Mine was by a nurse, Peggy Huddleston, and called "Prepare for Surgery, Heal Faster". You can get it from Amazon.com.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register