Blood Donations | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Blood Donations Blood Donations

Unread 04-09-2002, 04:27 PM
Blood Donations

I was just wondering if any of you ladies had your family and friends donate blood for you, just in case it was needed during or after surgery, or if any of you gave blood ahead of time for this use? Also, how many actually needed a blood transfusion?

My best friend is my blood type and he said he would donate for me, but he's moving to Miami the first of the month and my surgery is not until May 23. How long would his blood be good? I don't think I can give for myself because of my anemia. (I used to donate at every blood drive, as a matter of fact, I'm one donation away from my third gallon, but I think I'd better hang on to all the blood I have right now. I still have one more period to go before visiting the castle.)

Thanks!

Lisa (Shashi)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 04:54 PM
Blood donation

Hi Lisa, I had to go on the 8th and I go again on the 16Th to give 2 pints of my own blood per doctors orders. My surgery is on the 25 of April, and I am type A blood. So you may want to check with your doctor. Good luck and lots of {{{{{hugs}}}}
Tina
Unread 04-09-2002, 04:59 PM
Blood Donations

I don't have an answer for you -- I have the same question. I'm anemic, and have two periods to go before my surgery, so I question the wisdom of donating my own blood. Plus, I am told that my insurance won't cover the fees to do so, because it is "optional"

MY DH is not the right blood type. My family lives 3000 miles away, so I'm beginnng to think it's just too much trouble to find blood donors, especially if the need for a transfusion is rare.

So please -- how many of you out there needed transfusions?

Joanne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:46 PM
Blood Donations

Talk to your doctor about this. Usually you must donate your own blood within 30 days of the surgery...not sure about directed donations. I banked two units...I have done so for all my surgeries. I am not anemic, however; if you are you will probably not be allowed to deplete your precious supply of good stuff!

My surgery got more complicated than expected and I received my two units back again the day after my surgery. I felt MUCH better after that! That kind of blood loss is not typical, but it can happen.

Discuss your concerns with your doctor and find out about the directed donation. Each hospital and doctor will have their own procedures and regulations, so it's best to ask your individual hospital. What's true one place may not hold for another!

Good luck!

Karen
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:16 PM
Re: Blood donation

Hi Lisa,

In answer to your query...you are right in assuming that you should not give any of your own blood...I am also anemic, part of the reason I am having a hysterectomy! Anyway...my DR is having me admitted a day early so they can give me some before the surgery...he said you usually lose a fair amount during the procedure...they are also giving me another transfusion after...bonus I guess! Talk to your DR about it. Good Luck!

Kathy
Unread 04-09-2002, 07:43 PM
Blood Donations

Hi Joanne,

If you read my answer to Lisa...the same would pertain to you I would assume...but your DR can answer for sure.
I have a query for you...Do you girls in the US have to PAY to donate your own blood? And do you have to FIND YOUR OWN donors?

Good Luck to you!

Kathy
Unread 04-09-2002, 08:22 PM
Blood Donations

Kathy,

i don't have to find my own donors if I am willing to accept the blood bank blood. Donating for myself, or asking friends and family to donate for me, is a precautionary measure so that I know exactly whose blood (and therefore medical history) I will receive. I know the blood banks supposedly screen for AIDS and other types of diseases, but I would feel better if I knew the donator personally.

about paying to donate: it was a shock to me when I heard this! I will have to find out more about this.
Unread 04-10-2002, 03:18 AM
Paying for blood

I had to give 2 units of blood and my insurance company will pay the cost of storing the blood and all tests, I will not have to pay a thing . Dh and I are very lucky we have excellent insurance. The whole cost of TAH/BSO including castle stay 3-4 days in private room will only cost us $200.00 that is what the deductable is for major inpatient surgery. So I feel very lucky that I don't have to worry about the insurance on top of everything else we have to worry about.
Tina
Unread 04-10-2002, 04:47 AM
Blood Donations

I lost a lot of blood during surgery but didn't require a transfusion. I did have extra bags of lactated ringers to get my volume back up.

My DR doesn't allow her patients to donate their own blood before surgery - she wants them to "have their tanks full" before surgery.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register