Surgery Coming--Some decisions to make | Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy) | HysterSisters
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support and Information
HysterSisters Hysterectomy Support Tutorial

Go Back   Hysterectomy HysterSisters > Hysterectomy Support Posts > Preparing for Hysterectomy (pre hysterectomy)

With free registration, you can ask and answer questions in our HYSTERECTOMY forum community, get our FREE BOOKLET, access Hysterectomy Checkpoints and more.

You are not alone. The HysterSisters are here for you. Join us today!
join HysterSisters for hysterectomy resources and support

Surgery Coming--Some decisions to make Surgery Coming--Some decisions to make

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:12 PM
Surgery Coming--Some decisions to make

Hi !!! I have my surgery scheduled on May 10 and have some decisions to make about keeping or losing my cervix and ovaries in or out.

My story is somewhat interesting as I have no pain, no bleeding and didn't really even know that I had the fibroid the size of a softball!!

My normal OBGYN found it during my normal exam last summer and it has been test after test and doctor opinion after doctor opinion. The only symptoms I have had in urinary and bowel symptons.

I have been to 3 surgeons and 2 radiologist to decide what to do. I have been on Lupron for the last 90 days and what a wonder drug !! It has made all the difference in the world. My fibroid has shrunk by 2/3. Too bad that you can't live on it and keep them small this way.

I actually was all set to have UAE and thought it was the perfect answer until the MRI showed that the ONE huge fibroid that was outside my uterus and shaped like a mushroom. The one type that radiologists won't comfortably do UAE on.

With only one large fibroid, all of the doctors are more worried about cancer possibilities than they normally would b.

So...now I have finally decided to schedule the hyster and picked the surgeon I feel most comfortable with.

All that is left is to decide how much to to...and I still have plenty of time to think. I needed to wait 6 weeks after my last Lupron shot to maximum shrinkage of the fibroid before surgery.

This site is a wonderful way to get advice and I have already learned a lot about what to ask for.

I have decided to keep my overaries. But....I could use all the advice I could get about what to do about my cervix.

I have heard both sides. First, that it is better to keep it to provide muscle support and help with bladder stability.

Then I have heard the exact opposite. That is does nothing and can only cause trouble after.

I have other complications with a bleeding disorder and need to try to avoid another surgery like this at all costs.

So...ladies...I would love you opinions and advice about how to make this decision about my cervix.

I will be having the abdominal surgery, but on the same bikini cut as my c-section.

One more question...anyone have any suggestions on natural therapy for after the fact to help with the healing?

Looking forward to seeing your advice !!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-09-2002, 06:20 PM

Hi Sheryl

I kept my ovaries, but not my cervix. I asked my Dr.'s opinon and he said take the cervix, but leave the ovaries if healthy.

I am almost 7 months post op. I also had a burch repair done too (bladder sling). So far, I have not had any problems with the removal of the cervix. Sex if fine without it.

I do have a family history of breast cancer, so thought it best to be rid of it. i was not willing to do HRT thought, thus I kept the ovaries.

Ulimately the decision is yours to make, along with your doctor's advice.

Best of luck
Unread 04-09-2002, 06:44 PM

This is a decision everyone has to make for themselves, unless you are having a vaginal hyst, then the cervix has to go. This is the way my DR explained it to me: the cervix is not a separate organ, it is part of the uterus, basically just the opening to the uterus. Once the uterus is gone it no longer has a function. It is about the size of a coat button. It serves no function in supporting other organs. During surgery the vagina is attached to other structures in the abdomen. Keeping the cervix there is still a risk for cervical cancer, and if you keep one or both ovaries there is also a chance of “mini periods”. The bladder has its own ligaments for support.

Also what is your DR's advice regarding the cervix in your case?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Unread 04-10-2002, 04:57 AM

Thanks for the reply. My doctor is telling me that I do have the option of keeping my cervix. There are new ways of doing the surgery that let's you keep it. I had heard this from 2 other friends that had it done and kept theirs. Also, all 3 surgeons I went to see gave me the same option.

They also claim that the surgery isn't any more complicated.

So...what do you think?
Unread 04-10-2002, 05:11 AM
Wondering

Why would you want to keep the cervix? Just curious.

Our Free Booklet
What 350,000 Women Know About Hysterectomy: Information, helpful hints as you prepare and recover from hysterectomy.
Answers to your questions
Register